cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
During our walk this evening, we passed by a neighbor who was out washing her car. She came over to greet the boys and as usual, they both got very excited. They've never met this lady and during the excitement, Finn nipped her fingertip. She lightheartedly said, 'this one is vicious' as she showed me her finger (no, not the middle one!). I felt pretty bad. Even tho it was a superficial nip, I definitely don't want that to happen, ever. :eek:

This isn't the first time for Finn, who has bitten another neighbor before, as well as nipping the handyman. He went thru behavioral training and I thought he was "over" all that b/c those incidents happened about a year ago.

As we continued on our walk, another neighbor came over and asked if she could pet the boys. I told her she could pet Tate but not Finn. As she was petting Tate, Finn started to bark/growl, and then we rushed off. So, my question is, is Finn doing this b/c he's protecting me and his brother from these "strangers"? He doesn't do this to people he knows. To be on the safe side, if strangers approach us on our walks I'm not going to let them get too close to Finn for fear of him nipping or biting someone. I know that doesn't solve the problem so i'm hoping you guys could help me with this one. Thanks!
:walk:

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
I'm not going to be a ton of help but...

We met a couple with two bullies on the weekend. The one dog was pretty chill and easy going. The other dog didn't want Chance to sniff her and REALLY didn't want to be pet by kids (there were a few kids running up to just pet the dogs without asking). It's possible that Finn isn't really a people sort of dog (or really is not a "stranger" sort of dog). I don't think there's anything wrong with telling people, as you did, that one dog would prefer not to be approached. People have attitudes... why can't dogs? :p

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Henny maybe he is just protecting you, I'm not much help here.

I always worry with tse with strangers because he gets a bit like that he hasn't nipped anyone yet but just 10 minutes ago inn the yard Indianah was playing and fell on him and then when she went back near him he growled and went to snap her but stopped before he did. and he has never done this before maybe she hurt him.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
I was going to suggest a muzzle. Not because he is vicious - after all it was only a nip rather than eating her arm for dinner! But more to stop people just approaching and petting him and him reacting they will be less likely to stop to pet them (which could reduce him maybe 'protecting you from strangers'). prevention isnt a cure but its for his own benefit until he learns its wrong. Maybe go back through training at behavioural training too - he might just need a refresher on some points x

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Henny, I think it's completely okay to tell people, NO about approaching
or petting your bully. Who knows WHY Finn does this, may very well be
protecting you, it is bred in them to do so. After Stuart died, there was
a noticeable difference in Brutus's formerly mellow self, he'd wake up
barking (he started sleeping FACING the doorway) sometimes several
times in the night and very watchful of the window by my bed in the day.

And he was only with me 7 short months, Finn has been with you much
longer! As
@jimmyjj says, perhaps a muzzle is in order when he is out
among people, it would protect him AND them and serve as a visual
warning of what you tell them.

Finn & Tate are great bullies!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm not sure we are at the point of muzzling yet. Bug I do agree about revisiting everything you did in your training.

I do think he feels he has to guard you both. And there is nothing wrong in letting people know to stay away from him.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I'm not sure we are at the point of muzzling yet. Bug I do agree about revisiting everything you did in your training.

I do think he feels he has to guard you both. And there is nothing wrong in letting people know to stay away from him.

The point of muzzling is to protect your dog !!
It's not the first time and until you have it under control you need to take action before the nip is a bite and worse case they want your baby destroyed. You also don't want someone taking you to court.

EmmittPylate

Feb 17, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Yea I wouldn't muzzle either. Just be polite and say no. Ppl will understand and If they don't then that's their problem. You shouldn't have to change what you do just for someone wanting to pet your dog. But I would also maybe start the training again.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for everybody's feedback, I really appreciate it. Yes, I agree on the "refresher" course in behavioral training. I'm going to look into that again. I think for now, I will just let people who approach us, not pet Finn and tell them that he's "in training". I have considered a muzzle as well, btw. Haven't gotten around to buying one yet, just considering it.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Dang Henny, sorry to hear this. I have no problem with telling people no they cannot pet or yes they can, especially those they don't know. Sometimes with dogs like Finn (and Emma) you don't know what they're reaction is going to be. Emma is the one that I will have to watch out for. She has already growled (at a distance) at the neighbors across the street that she does not know. She does not like strangers, people or other dogs. And because of this, I proceed with caution (not tension) when we area approached to make sure she wants to be approached. I usually shorten their leashes up too a bit.

How did you handle Finn when that happened, besides walking away? :hug:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for everybody's feedback, I really appreciate it. Yes, I agree on the "refresher" course in behavioral training. I'm going to look into that again. I think for now, I will just let people who approach us, not pet Finn and tell them that he's "in training". I have considered a muzzle as well, btw. Haven't gotten around to buying one yet, just considering it.

Henny -- also remember, even if you think you are not doing so, Finn my be picking up on any type of stress or frustration you are going through. There are times I think I am all calm and not giving off my sorrow, depression, stress or what ever negative energy.... but Banks will pick up on it and she 'reacts' - be it barking,, pacing, her hair on end, sleeping facing the door.... it all can be a trigger from our energy. have you tried walking Finn alone and see how he behaves?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Henny -- also remember, even if you think you are not doing so, Finn my be picking up on any type of stress or frustration you are going through. There are times I think I am all calm and not giving off my sorrow, depression, stress or what ever negative energy.... but Banks will pick up on it and she 'reacts' - be it barking,, pacing, her hair on end, sleeping facing the door.... it all can be a trigger from our energy. have you tried walking Finn alone and see how he behaves?

Agreed. My dogs can read my mind I swear -- but it's all energy body language, I know. They are savants are anything. LOL

Question - are you controlling the meetings --- or are the dogs? If the dogs are between you and the person being greeted - switch it. You are the calm and assertive pack leader, bringing your dogs to the meeting; nothing to "protect" about, right?

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
@JeannieCO, with the first lady who got nipped, i didn't realize what Finn had done until after the lady told me, like a few seconds after the actual nipping. I didn't see it happen, it was so quick. So, my reaction was just of frustration and apologies to the nice lady! With the 2nd one who Finn barked at, I didn't allow him to get too close to her and when he barked, I tugged his leash and said "NO". Not sure how effective that was either.
@2bullyMama, my energy/vibe when I see people approaching us on the walks is one of slight anxiety. I don't really feel I have a good handle/control on the two of them when we all walk together with a lot of people out and about. I feel much more relaxed when we walk very early in the a.m. b/c I know there won't be any other people/dogs around OR if we're out in a big park that's a very roomy and open space. I can feel myself being more at-ease during those times. I do on occasion take Finn out by himself but I actually feel guilty for leaving Tate home alone b/c when Finn and I leave, Tate gets crated and he starts barking, wanting out. I know, i know, I need to be stronger w/that. I like walking Finn or Tate individually however b/c it's during those times that i feel most "in control" and not so anxious when others approach us. It's also a good time for me to review our "heel" and basic commands. Hope that all made sense!.
@Vicaroo1000, I'm not controlling the meetings, the boys are! Both are very strong and will pull me towards the person. And tho I do shorten the leash, and I tell them to "sit", it's very chaotic and the meeting just feels "messy".

Yikes, just writing all this down is making me realize that i need more help than i thought! :cry:

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Henny I wish I had some help here. Where is Cesar Milan? Lol I don't know about muzzling on walks tho, I understand the idea of it but bullies need as much air as is possible on walks and I am not sure it would be safe to muzzle while walking them? Haven't shopped them so I really don't know if they have safer ones out there, have only heard of pups dying from being overheated using them. :hug: girly!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.