General Question Nipped a Neighbor

Leatherneck

Apr 3, 2013
Youngstown, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Gomer & Vince
Our guys have been with strangers at home without any problem, other than jumping on them and wanting to sit in their laps. But we have not taken them out to mingle with other dogs or people yet. I am wondering if I should begin doing that now even though we haven't had them trained yet.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=8521]Leatherneck[/MENTION] training does a lot of great thing but it does not change temperment. Can you control them, meaning do they listen to you. Have you taught them basic commands and manors like not to jump on people or lunge and pull on a leash. If so you should be ok but please read up on dog to dog introduction while on a leash there is a right way and a wrong way to do it . The good news here is that most bulldogs are easy going and friendly to animals and strangers alike.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] I hadn't thought of that its definitely a probability. He is really loving I take him with me almost every day to pick my kids up from school and the other children look forward to him being there for them to pet and love on and of course he eats it up. We used behavior modification with a spray bottle and water to train him not to jump on people, funny thing is he loves swimming and he loves his little wading pool in the summer and baths. LOL.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
He needs one of those vests that says "Please don't pet me, I'm working". Service dogs wear them a lot so people won't mess with them. At least you wouldn't have to explain it to strangers...unless they are rude and ask about it!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
He needs one of those vests that says "Please don't pet me, I'm working". Service dogs wear them a lot so people won't mess with them. At least you wouldn't have to explain it to strangers...unless they are rude and ask about it!

I was going to suggest the same thing. Or the one that says "Please don't pet me, I'm in training".

Hopefully you'll figure it out soon Henny. Maybe he really is the no stranger type of pup ... everyone has their quirks. :)

D

DaisyBulldog

Please go check out "Dogs In Need Of Space" aka DINOS. http://dogsinneedofspace.com/ A wonderful page, also a great page on Facebook. Please don't muzzle your EB, or "Cesar Millan" him. Positive reinforcement and a leash flag may help a lot.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Please go check out "Dogs In Need Of Space" aka DINOS. http://dogsinneedofspace.com/ A wonderful page, also a great page on Facebook. Please don't muzzle your EB, or "Cesar Millan" him. Positive reinforcement and a leash flag may help a lot.

Thanks for sharing ^^^^ I never heard of it and skimmed through, but will read it all later.

Members online

No members online now.