cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Thanks Jenn! well, i heard of these kind of "basket" muzzles that are safer than the nylon kind b/c it does allow the dog to pant and not overheat. However, i'm not even sure where to start if i were to muzzle Finn. I don't want to muzzle him actually, but then I need to be confident that he will not bite anyone again also. For now, i'm not going to allow him to get close to strangers and will just need to watch him closely.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Hi Henny sorry you are going thru this with Finn. I dont have any advice but I am sending you :hug:. Have you tried gentle lead type of collar for your walks? I heard they are great for dogs who pull.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Awwww Henny! I'm just seeing this...(been preoccupied with my brand new grandson :D). This is a tough one ...and honestly, if you realize you aren't feeling in charge and the "leader"..that's a big step. I think you should look for someone to work with you and the boys together. It won't take care of your anxiety by sending Finn through a refresher course.

We have used a soft muzzle on a very grumpy Dobie for a short time..I hate muzzles, but this was very doggie friendly and certainly was ok to use.

Above all, the reason many breeds get pegged as "bad" is because they are often in situations that aren't their fault! We want Finn to be a happy boy..and hs mommy NOT to be stressed. :hug:

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] .. COngratulations on your grandson :heart:

I know it might not help and i dont know how much time you have on your hands but instead of feeling guilty how about walking Finn in the morning and Tate in the evening? Even if its only short term so you can really work with Finn. Instead of feeling guilty feel proud that your doing your best for BOTH of them and giving them love and attention (and being pack leader and more importantly in control) individually. After a few days they'll probably love their alone time with you and if you feel more in control with just 1 at a time your bad vibes should go too :-) xx

I only suggest this as maybe its not just you giving bad vibes but he could be trying to protect Tate too and be pack leader. I know with my sisters dogs (husky and yorkshire terrior) if she walks husky on her own shes loving caring and will greet any dog around.. If she takes the yorkie and husky together.. Ellie the husky hates other dogs going near them both and growls.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
@Meekosmommy took the thoughts right out of my head. Spend some "one on one" time with your Problem Child perhaps? By resolving his issue, you'll be helping the other pup because he's probably, in large part, reacting to his brother.

That "chaotic and messy" feeling? I absolutely understand what you mean! By quickly explaining to the humans you're greeting "my dogs are in training" so you don't feel you have to focus on the humans you're encountering will help your energy. Keep them a few feet apart from the "target". Correct pulling toward the target with your version of "Tssst!" and a swift touch to the flanks (I use my toe, Cesar style). That touch isn't the correction...its to throw them off focusing on the target and back to you so you can redirect. I swear, everytime I touch Bo on the flanks in this way, he looks at me like "WHAT??!!!!" It's always unexpected to him! (and therefore it works)

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks again folks for all your feedback...i'm just now reading my thread and didn't realize i had so many great replies posted.

I believe I do need to spend more one on one time, especially w/Finn. Tate can be very attention-seeking and I can see Finn sometimes either going off to the side when i'm w/Tate b/c of Tate's huge "presence", or a fight will ensue betw. the two of them. For instance, I will be playing w/Finn and snuggling w/him and then here comes Tate! he gets right in the middle of our playing; in this instance I will usually tell Tate "NO" and make him wait til I'm done playing w/Finn...but I know i'm not always consistent.
I know Finn is trying to protect not only me, but Tate as well on our walks. Finn really is the gentlest boy and so playful and I just want him to be happy. Lately, our walks have been drama-free, thank goodness.
[MENTION=8050]Ashleym[/MENTION], is that gentle leader the same as a the "easy walk" harness? I do use that on both boys. [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]--yes, have been thinking of doing a "refresher" w/them. The lady we used last time does home visits so that's something i'm going to look into.

Thanks again!

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Amber here lately raises her hair up on end and barks at strangers coming to the door. She has always barked but lately she acts like she would bit; that said, if someone asked to pet her she has never been around my answer would be no. Not only for their safety but you never know what the other person is caring in reference to germs. In Arizona we have to worry about valley fever, I don't know how it is transmitted but I don't take any chances either. I do not expose my bullies to just anyone. Good luck.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
I didn't know about valley fever either so I looked it up.[h=1]Two species of coccidioides fungi cause valley fever. These fungi are commonly found in the soil in specific areas and can be stirred into the air by anything that disrupts the soil, such as farming, construction and wind. The fungi can then be breathed into the lungs and cause valley fever, also known as acute coccidioidomycosis (kok-sid-e-oy-doh-my-KOH-sis).Valley fever is a fungal infection caused by coccidioides (kok-sid-e-OY-deze) organisms. It can cause fever, chest pain and coughing, among other signs and symptoms.[/h]

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I'm going to side with [MENTION=6047]jimmyjj[/MENTION] that perhaps a muzzle would be the best thing for Finn's and your protection.

I don't know about your area, but years ago when I lived in Ohio we had a terrier that was a fear nipper. She was great with the family, but anyone she didn't know was someone for her to fear. Our kids (teens) took her for a walk and a neighbor kid got nipped. She broke the skin just a little, so of course it had to be reported. She also nipped a kid in our home a friend of my sons who she didn't know. It ended up that we had to stop walking her at all because she had nipped two people and in that area a third reported bite was grounds for automatic euthanizing. We just kept her away from any strangers at all. We never thought of a muzzle back then, but I think if I would have that would have been an option I'd have utilized just to be on the safe side. I think like crating they definately have a purpose, if you got him used to it and rewarded for wearing etc that you could just use it as a safety tool.

A mean spirited person could press the issue, especially with the ban all bulldog mentality that is so rampant in areas.

And it's just way too easy for something to happen too quickly rely on that "you have it under control"feeling.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I don't know what I would do at this juncture personally. I live in a Rural section of North Florida and have plenty of property to get all the walking on leash or running and exercise that Ace needs without being around a lot of people much less strangers. And everybody wants to pet a bulldog and who can blame them. But when my daughter and granddaughter come over I always tell my granddaughter to not put her face next to Ace's face [it's another thing that people just want to do for whatever reason] but I don't want Ace to nip her in the face of course. Ace is all play for now but bully's can hurt other dogs or humans just when they are playing much less if they are protective or feel a bit threatened.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
We recently had an incident that has never happened before my Bully Sheldon got out the screen door and was pacing up and down our ditch bank in our yard growling barking and posturing at some neighbors walking by he has never done this before to people only other animals and I am very diligent in keeping him harnessed. He is usually very sweet and lovable to other people and today I took him with me to pick my kids up at the school and he was very excited about being with all the children I stood with him between my legs as well as keeping my hand on his collar so as to be able to feel even the slightest rumble of discontent and none ever came so I am very confused as to what caused that behavior. I have been working with him around other animals as well being relaxed when around other animals. I work with him quite a lot I am a stay at home Mom so he is always with in reach but recently we did some remodeling and he really didn't take to the remodeling of the kitchen very well at all. He stood in the middle of the kitchen and barked and growled at the wall.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hey how are you doing since this happened? you doing ok?

Yes, i'm doing fine and the boys are doing pretty good too on their walks. Today there were lots of dogs and people along the hike and I just made sure to keep Finn at a safe distance from others. I also told people who wanted to pet him that it's best not to b/c he's "in training" and has nipped before. So, they petted Tate and Finn was even okay w/that. I think it's cuz he was very tired from hiking tho, but that's a good thing!

@LariP, thanks for sharing your story about your terrier. The soft muzzle is definitely something I'm keeping an open mind about. I'd rather be safe than sorry, that is for sure.
@Jennifer Clark, I wonder if Sheldon was doing that to the neighbors b/c he was loose, w/out a leash, and he felt very protective of his domaine? As far as barking/growling at the kitchen wall, I think mine would be doing the same thing since it's a change from what they are used to. He sounds like a really loving bully!

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Muzzleing him may actually cause this behavior to intensify or bring out other issues that you don't want to have to deal with. I would try walking him in an area or ay a time when you are less likely to encounter lots of people. I would also suggest you politely ask people not to pet either of them. With out seeing this I can't give you an answer for sure , but if is a protection issue it could get worse if strangers are allowed to pet tate while finn is present. Strangers are gross and germy anyway lol

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
[MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] Good point about the muzzling...I never thought about that. Suppressing one behavior and creating or agitating another by taking that action. Something to think about and research!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.