Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Nipped a Neighbor

I don't know what I would do at this juncture personally. I live in a Rural section of North Florida and have plenty of property to get all the walking on leash or running and exercise that Ace needs without being around a lot of people much less strangers. And everybody wants to pet a bulldog and who can blame them. But when my daughter and granddaughter come over I always tell my granddaughter to not put her face next to Ace's face [it's another thing that people just want to do for whatever reason] but I don't want Ace to nip her in the face of course. Ace is all play for now but bully's can hurt other dogs or humans just when they are playing much less if they are protective or feel a bit threatened.

Bulldog Vet in Training bluesteelapd's Avatar
    Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

Hey how are you doing since this happened? you doing ok?

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

We recently had an incident that has never happened before my Bully Sheldon got out the screen door and was pacing up and down our ditch bank in our yard growling barking and posturing at some neighbors walking by he has never done this before to people only other animals and I am very diligent in keeping him harnessed. He is usually very sweet and lovable to other people and today I took him with me to pick my kids up at the school and he was very excited about being with all the children I stood with him between my legs as well as keeping my hand on his collar so as to be able to feel even the slightest rumble of discontent and none ever came so I am very confused as to what caused that behavior. I have been working with him around other animals as well being relaxed when around other animals. I work with him quite a lot I am a stay at home Mom so he is always with in reach but recently we did some remodeling and he really didn't take to the remodeling of the kitchen very well at all. He stood in the middle of the kitchen and barked and growled at the wall.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluesteelapd View Post
    Hey how are you doing since this happened? you doing ok?
    Yes, i'm doing fine and the boys are doing pretty good too on their walks. Today there were lots of dogs and people along the hike and I just made sure to keep Finn at a safe distance from others. I also told people who wanted to pet him that it's best not to b/c he's "in training" and has nipped before. So, they petted Tate and Finn was even okay w/that. I think it's cuz he was very tired from hiking tho, but that's a good thing!

@LariP, thanks for sharing your story about your terrier. The soft muzzle is definitely something I'm keeping an open mind about. I'd rather be safe than sorry, that is for sure.
    @Jennifer Clark, I wonder if Sheldon was doing that to the neighbors b/c he was loose, w/out a leash, and he felt very protective of his domaine? As far as barking/growling at the kitchen wall, I think mine would be doing the same thing since it's a change from what they are used to. He sounds like a really loving bully!

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

Muzzleing him may actually cause this behavior to intensify or bring out other issues that you don't want to have to deal with. I would try walking him in an area or ay a time when you are less likely to encounter lots of people. I would also suggest you politely ask people not to pet either of them. With out seeing this I can't give you an answer for sure , but if is a protection issue it could get worse if strangers are allowed to pet tate while finn is present. Strangers are gross and germy anyway lol
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

Bulldog Vet in Training bluesteelapd's Avatar
    Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

@dozersmama Good point about the muzzling...I never thought about that. Suppressing one behavior and creating or agitating another by taking that action. Something to think about and research!

Real Name
    Bill
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gomer & Vince
    Likes (Received)

Our guys have been with strangers at home without any problem, other than jumping on them and wanting to sit in their laps. But we have not taken them out to mingle with other dogs or people yet. I am wondering if I should begin doing that now even though we haven't had them trained yet.

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

@Leatherneck training does a lot of great thing but it does not change temperment. Can you control them, meaning do they listen to you. Have you taught them basic commands and manors like not to jump on people or lunge and pull on a leash. If so you should be ok but please read up on dog to dog introduction while on a leash there is a right way and a wrong way to do it . The good news here is that most bulldogs are easy going and friendly to animals and strangers alike.
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@cali baker I hadn't thought of that its definitely a probability. He is really loving I take him with me almost every day to pick my kids up from school and the other children look forward to him being there for them to pet and love on and of course he eats it up. We used behavior modification with a spray bottle and water to train him not to jump on people, funny thing is he loves swimming and he loves his little wading pool in the summer and baths. LOL.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

He needs one of those vests that says "Please don't pet me, I'm working". Service dogs wear them a lot so people won't mess with them. At least you wouldn't have to explain it to strangers...unless they are rude and ask about it!

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MamaAndi View Post
    He needs one of those vests that says "Please don't pet me, I'm working". Service dogs wear them a lot so people won't mess with them. At least you wouldn't have to explain it to strangers...unless they are rude and ask about it!
    I was going to suggest the same thing. Or the one that says "Please don't pet me, I'm in training".

Hopefully you'll figure it out soon Henny. Maybe he really is the no stranger type of pup ... everyone has their quirks.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

DaisyBulldog

Please go check out "Dogs In Need Of Space" aka DINOS. http://dogsinneedofspace.com/ A wonderful page, also a great page on Facebook. Please don't muzzle your EB, or "Cesar Millan" him. Positive reinforcement and a leash flag may help a lot.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads