potty in her crate then lick it up

pinkbully

Feb 20, 2013
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie Moo born 12/14/12
Well here is the deal.. We finally had Maggie not crying to stay in her crate. I was taking her out at 9pm, 1am and 5 am.. She does not cry to go out.. If I dont take her out she will just pee in her crate .. Well my husband went in the hospital for a week and my mom was staying here. She wouldnt get up till 5am . So if Maggie would potty she would stay in it till 5 am .. Also my mom said she thought if the dog stay in the pee it might make her stop .. Now she will potty in her crate then lick it up. Why is she doing this? How can I make her stop? Thanks

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
She's doing that because she doesn't want to be in there with it. If she's not kept clean and dry, she can get very sore from the ammonia in the urine.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
She is trying to keep her crate clean, it's a natural instinct for them to keep their sleeping area clean. Just like a mama dog will clean her pups. Put a towel down and if she has to pee in her crate she just goes on the towel and can't lick it up. She will eventually stop this when she gets older and becomes house trained and can hold it all night. You can try the pee pads, but from experience, they usually just shred and eat the pads.

cslafferty

Jan 17, 2011
Linden, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola (1/31/11) & Chief (9/18/00-12/30/10)
My Lola is 2 and still goes in her crate when I'm at work. She can hold it all night and CAN hold it all day - when I'm home I'll put her out the same time in the morning (6:30am) that I do when i go to work, and sometimes I have to drag her off the couch at 5:30pm to get her to go out! But, I could be gone running errands for 3-4 hours and I'll come back to a wet crate, even if I've put her out and she goes right before I lock her up. I think it's her little protest for being locked up. I use 2 beach towels to line her crate and just throw them in the wash. She will sometimes poop in there too, but will "get rid of the evidence." I'm hoping she'll eventually grow out of it.

OP
pinkbully

pinkbully

Feb 20, 2013
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie Moo born 12/14/12
Thanks everyone.. She has been having it rough with house training.. I have to take her out everu 30 mins are she will pee in the house .. She poops outside.. Its the peeing..

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.