Thread: barking and growling in crate

Real Name
    Theresa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Agnes
    Likes (Received)

Default barking and growling in crate

Hi everyone! Aggie is 13 weeks old and I heard her growl and bark for the first time today. I put her in her crate so I could take a nap and she started. She's never done this before. I didn't know how to handle it! Should I ignore? Should I tell her ssshh? She sleeps in her crate every night and she spends some time in there during the day while I work too. I've heard her cry a little and whimper but she usually calms down and goes to sleep quickly. Today, though, she growled and barked for about 10 minutes. I let her out after she got quiet because I was worried she would start up again. I live in an apartment and I don't want her to develop bad barking habits.

She gets her final puppy shot next Friday and I think that will help because then we can go on walks and I can tire her out a little more. But does anyone have suggestions in the meantime?

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: barking and growling in crate

Never forget you are in charge. She'll try to "train you." Of course she'd rather be out with you. I am learning just how smart these dogs can be!

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

If she spends too much time in the crate, she will get bored quickly and complain, a tired dog is a good dog. But don't over do it either.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

She probably wanting to play, and doesn't want in there. Just keep telling her NO in a stern voice. she will ignore you at first but with time she will learn. Plus you did good by waiting until she was quiet before you let her out.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Eventually, she will put herself in there because her crate is a peaceful place for her to snooze -- or, as in Bea's case -- a safe refuge from the vacuum.

Before you put her in her crate, be certain that she is pooped. That will help her NOT learn the habit of barking and getting a reaction as a result. David is right; You were spot on to wait for her to stop before letting her back out. When Bea and Bo were little, I used to give them "a project" when they had to be crated for some reason (repair person, leaving house for an appt.) and I knew they didn't really need a nap. (Of course, when has that ever stopped an EB from sleeping? LOL) "A project" was a kong frozen with a schemere of peanut butter in it or a nylabone (super safe) that they got only for these crating occasions (which made the item "special").

I never used a crate until Bea came along and I cannot imagine NOT having one for them now. They love their crates.

And still, when they are being disruptive, I will still often exclaim, "OMG you need a project!" LOL

Real Name
    Theresa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Agnes
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Remove Ads