barking and growling in crate

heavyblankets

Jan 21, 2013
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
Hi everyone! Aggie is 13 weeks old and I heard her growl and bark for the first time today. I put her in her crate so I could take a nap and she started. She's never done this before. I didn't know how to handle it! Should I ignore? Should I tell her ssshh? She sleeps in her crate every night and she spends some time in there during the day while I work too. I've heard her cry a little and whimper but she usually calms down and goes to sleep quickly. Today, though, she growled and barked for about 10 minutes. I let her out after she got quiet because I was worried she would start up again. I live in an apartment and I don't want her to develop bad barking habits.

She gets her final puppy shot next Friday and I think that will help because then we can go on walks and I can tire her out a little more. But does anyone have suggestions in the meantime?

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Never forget you are in charge. She'll try to "train you." Of course she'd rather be out with you. :D I am learning just how smart these dogs can be!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
If she spends too much time in the crate, she will get bored quickly and complain, a tired dog is a good dog. But don't over do it either.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
She probably wanting to play, and doesn't want in there. Just keep telling her NO in a stern voice. she will ignore you at first but with time she will learn. Plus you did good by waiting until she was quiet before you let her out.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Eventually, she will put herself in there because her crate is a peaceful place for her to snooze -- or, as in Bea's case -- a safe refuge from the vacuum.

Before you put her in her crate, be certain that she is pooped. That will help her NOT learn the habit of barking and getting a reaction as a result. David is right; You were spot on to wait for her to stop before letting her back out. When Bea and Bo were little, I used to give them "a project" when they had to be crated for some reason (repair person, leaving house for an appt.) and I knew they didn't really need a nap. (Of course, when has that ever stopped an EB from sleeping? LOL) "A project" was a kong frozen with a schemere of peanut butter in it or a nylabone (super safe) that they got only for these crating occasions (which made the item "special").

I never used a crate until Bea came along and I cannot imagine NOT having one for them now. They love their crates.

And still, when they are being disruptive, I will still often exclaim, "OMG you need a project!" LOL

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.