General Question I never had a puppy before

Seabass

Mar 26, 2013
Minnesota
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian Barrel
So I've never had a puppy before, I've had full grown dogs but never a puppy. A few months ago I got Sebastian, he is about four months old now and he's learned some commands sit, shake, lay down, roll over, come here. Right now were working on some of his rough spots; he's a little nippy/mouthy, he gets excited and jumps up, and he likes chasing the cats. I know that these are pretty common things but I just don't really know how to go about correcting them since he doesn't really respond to most of the things I've tried.

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hi and welcome!
you're right, these things all sound very normal for the age. In fact, at almost 2 years I am still dealing with some of these issues!
I am sure folks with way more expertise will weigh in soon, but just be patient and consistent.
:2thumbs:

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Welcome and I have a Sebastian too!!!! What I do to stop them from doing what I didn't want them to when they were your little guys' age was a can with coins in it shaken or a squirt bottle with water. I still have to use the water bottle occasionally when they act up but for the most part the noise and/or the water startled them enough to get their attention on to something they could do

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
I would start first with a newborn baby. They're much easier and they will slowly teach you how to care for a bully puppy... ;)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Congrats on your new pup, and so all these things are normal puppy behavior. The biting, just redirect with giving them a chew toy. When they get tired, they will act crazy, so it's time for a nap in their bed or crate. I suggest crate training them, so they will get used to a crate so when you leave the house, put them in their crate. That is the safest place for them to be. Don't give rawhide chew bones, as they can be lethal. The other things, they will learn in time. Just be consistent and patient.

Most Reactions