General Question K-9 Military School?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Honestly, the original post with all the rules sounds like a more militant version of "Nothing In Life is Free".

BarbaraDavis

Apr 7, 2013
Corona, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
none of my own
I think that's all a bit much. Dogs need structure, but not necessarily that kind of "discipline". Some of the citations are more about "dog mythology" than "dog psychology" (for instance, all that old-fashioned "dominance" stuff). Some of this advice is probably going to get some people and their dogs in trouble.

The think to remember is that every dog is an individual, and trying to work things from "tip sheets" can be troublesome. There are lots of good books out there with great advice about how to go about training effectively. One of my favorites is "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller.

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I think that's all a bit much. Dogs need structure, but not necessarily that kind of "discipline". Some of the citations are more about "dog mythology" than "dog psychology" (for instance, all that old-fashioned "dominance" stuff). Some of this advice is probably going to get some people and their dogs in trouble.

The think to remember is that every dog is an individual, and trying to work things from "tip sheets" can be troublesome. There are lots of good books out there with great advice about how to go about training effectively. One of my favorites is "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller.

Thanks! I'll check that book out.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
I want to snuggle and cuddle my dogs and not make them do push ups for attention. Not the relationship I want with any dog. If it works for you go for it!

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online