Other Bully Pulling Solution!

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I just thought I'd share this genius little invention so those of you with "let's say hi to everyone!" bullies can walk safely.

Until now, we'd only used a collar to walk, and it was never an issue. Tilly wouldn't pull me, she'd stop when she felt the resistance. If she did start to pull, I would bribe her back to me with treats, and it worked every time.

So, I used to be very training-only orientated, but Tilly has hit that age (we're at 9 months) where I tell her to stop pulling and she looks at me like "HAH." Other dogs just trigger her - it's the only time she pulls. And then we proceed to run face-first into any dog she sees. And because I was terrified of pulling on her neck, I just ran with her. Ugh.

Tilly's trainer suggested an Easy Walk harness - it has saved our lives (literally!).

A regular harness just seemed to make it easier for her to drag me, but with this new one, it attaches to the leash in the chest instead of back, so if Tilly pulls, she just ends up turning herself back to me (GENIUS!).

We've been using it for two days, and she already has stopped pulling almost completely. I barely tug the leash, and she comes right back to me (as she knows she won't win). Now I wish I got this thing a month ago!

We went on the first completely loose-leash walk we've had in a while (even passing other dogs)!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like a great harness!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Sounds great I will have to get one because Ftse is a shocker to walk I almost run all the way, people must be watching out of their windows and laughing at him pulling me.:rofl:
I have even tried shortning the lead around my hand but that just sheer agony felt like he was going to pull my hand of.

rksuski

Jul 2, 2012
Madison, Wi
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
We use this with Guinness and love it! It will save your shoulder from being pulled right out of its socket!

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
I have used this harness from the beginning based on the recommendation of a trainer and it has been wonderful. Loose leash walking is a breeze and we can concentrate on bonding on our walks together rather than worrying about pulling and control. A harness with a clip in the back I learned is intended for pulling so it is natural that dogs would pull if they get energetic for any reason. The clip in front means the dog just turns into you if they try to pull ahead or away. It is very gentle. But these are hard to find- one that fits a Bulldog is not common to stores. I finally purchased the harness in a size large and then had to modify it by shortening the girth and keeping the chest at maximum for the big Bully chest. Not easy with the thick material. If anyone knows of a harness with the fron clip that is made to fit a Bully I am all ears!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Pictures, wheres the pictures??? :2thumbs:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
EXCELLENT news..... I forgot all about this - we had to use it for Banks when she was about 8/9 months.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I have used this harness from the beginning based on the recommendation of a trainer and it has been wonderful. Loose leash walking is a breeze and we can concentrate on bonding on our walks together rather than worrying about pulling and control. A harness with a clip in the back I learned is intended for pulling so it is natural that dogs would pull if they get energetic for any reason. The clip in front means the dog just turns into you if they try to pull ahead or away. It is very gentle. But these are hard to find- one that fits a Bulldog is not common to stores. I finally purchased the harness in a size large and then had to modify it by shortening the girth and keeping the chest at maximum for the big Bully chest. Not easy with the thick material. If anyone knows of a harness with the fron clip that is made to fit a Bully I am all ears!

I am interested as to where I can get one too.

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo

Hi,
we used the easy walk to but same problems the fit. Then we found this one at Petsmart which does the same thing but is under the Petsmart brand.
it fits bongo better and looks cooler and its padded he's 53lbs and I got him a large.

Top Paw™ Training Walking Harness for Dogs

Our Price: $25.99 CAD

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
I totally forgot about these. I bought them for Wilbur and Layla when they were little but they were too big and I put them away. Wilbur had been pulling like a maniac lately, so I dug them out. Thing is I ca't find the black one I bought for Wilbur so he had to wear the bright pink one that was for Layla hahaha!
it worked really well....I am going to continue using it ( maybe I will pick up another one so Wilbur isn't so embarrassed of the colour!)
i got them at Petsmart, they're pricey but I agree they are awesome. Large fits my guys.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Hi,
we used the easy walk to but same problems the fit. Then we found this one at Petsmart which does the same thing but is under the Petsmart brand.
it fits bongo better and looks cooler and its padded he's 53lbs and I got him a large.

Top Paw™ Training Walking Harness for Dogs

Our Price: $25.99 CAD

Thank you for this :clap2: I really appreciate you taking the time write and let me and others know.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I just thought I'd share this genius little invention so those of you with "let's say hi to everyone!" bullies can walk safely.

Until now, we'd only used a collar to walk, and it was never an issue. Tilly wouldn't pull me, she'd stop when she felt the resistance. If she did start to pull, I would bribe her back to me with treats, and it worked every time.

So, I used to be very training-only orientated, but Tilly has hit that age (we're at 9 months) where I tell her to stop pulling and she looks at me like "HAH." Other dogs just trigger her - it's the only time she pulls. And then we proceed to run face-first into any dog she sees. And because I was terrified of pulling on her neck, I just ran with her. Ugh.

Tilly's trainer suggested an Easy Walk harness - it has saved our lives (literally!).

A regular harness just seemed to make it easier for her to drag me, but with this new one, it attaches to the leash in the chest instead of back, so if Tilly pulls, she just ends up turning herself back to me (GENIUS!).

We've been using it for two days, and she already has stopped pulling almost completely. I barely tug the leash, and she comes right back to me (as she knows she won't win). Now I wish I got this thing a month ago!

We went on the first completely loose-leash walk we've had in a while (even passing other dogs)!
A trainer recommended an Easy-Walk Harness when we had our female 140-pound bullmastiff who loved to pull when she saw other dogs. It was a God-send for us! I loved the way it turned her around when she pulled so she couldn't go in the direction she wanted. I haven't needed one for Mabel, but I'd never hesitate to use one again. So glad it worked for you! :)

OP
hnhammond

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Yeah I am sooo excited about it! I got ours from Petsmart also. Tilly fits in the large, but she's still a baby. The trainer there told me that if I can survive until she hits the 1 year mark (June), the sassy attitude will calm down! haha

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.