Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Hi
My wife has just come home with another dog. A tea cup chawiwa ( excuse spelling ) he is proper tiny. 9 wks old and the kids have named him gizmo.
Diesel is 8 month old bully who is good with other dogs in the park . however he is sniffing the puppy a bit rough and is very excited with the new addition to our family. A few times his paw has come up and nearly flattened gizmo.

How do I integrate gizmo into my house with out being squashed.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:eek: I'm sure he's cute and all...but that isn't a dog...:hmm: Wait..maybe THAT is a dog....cuz Diesel ..like ALL Bully's are MORE than a dog.

Seriously, you will have to go slow with the intro. Keep them separate except for bits of time. I would put Diesel on a lead around him for awhile. Watch the excitement level because it can escalate quickly and he wee dog can be hurt. Let's get some others here..
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION]... [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OH BOY..... try to keep the excitement level low, but Diesel is going to see Gizmo as a toy. Limit time together until he understands. Also, big thing here... hard as it is, do not carry/hold Gizmo a LOT. It will give lots of issue with pack levels and will give Gizmo a sense of being 'above' others in the house.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Your bully is going to think that is a moving squeak toy. So I would limit their play time and closely monitor them until the Chihuahua gets older and larger. Bullies like the play hard and rough.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Fabulous advise! Congrats on your new pack member. I was going to say I had nothing to add...but I always have something to add. LOL I can't help myself! hahahahahaha Remember to treat them both like what they are; dogs. I love what [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said about not carrying the little one around all the time. It's important! Also, treating each dog exactly alike is important too. Dogs do indeed have a sense of "fairness". Take them on walks together!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Oooo .... I can't add to this really. Just give it time and Diesel will realise that if he is too rough then Gizmo will get hurt.

OP
jimmyjj

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I am working this weekend but when I get a mo I ll get a picture of them
Gizmo is smaller then diesels head
I am letting diesel approach gizmo when he wants , I position myself sort of between them. All he is still doing is sniffing , licking and nearly standing on gizmo.
It's going to be a long slow transition

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Had/have the same problem with our pets except in reverse, the maltese is two years old and Ace our bulldog puppy [5 months old now] almost from the get go wanted to play with the maltese and bulldogs do play rough. Too rough for the maltese's comfort. It has improved but I still have to separate them once in a while. But for a few months there it was really difficult I was having to separate them or step in between them almost constantly if they were in the same room together and not crated. The bulldog would start by sniffing the maltese in the genital area and then the maltese would break and run and the bulldog thought it was time to chase and play and would tackle the maltese and pin him down. There is a food issue as well. The bulldog could care less if the maltese wanted to share his food from his bowl [not much chance of that though] but if Ace wanted some from the maltese bowl, which he always does, the maltese will growl and bite him but Ace could care less he doesn't bite back but will just keep his head close to steal some food. We now feed them in separate rooms. Of course the bulldog cleans his bowl in a matter of minutes, seconds even sometimes it seems and the maltese takes forever to eat just a tiny bit taking each piece of kibble out of the bowl and laying it on the floor and eating it and then back to the bowl for a few grains more. If the maltese quits eating and leaves food in his bowl then if the door is left open Ace will go in there and eat all the food even if he just finished eating all his. Gabe the maltese just does not like Ace though it seems Ace would like to be his buddy. It has taken constant vigilance over the months but it has improved quite a bit here lately

OP
jimmyjj

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Had/have the same problem with our pets except in reverse, the maltese is two years old and Ace our bulldog puppy [5 months old now] almost from the get go wanted to play with the maltese and bulldogs do play rough. Too rough for the maltese's comfort. It has improved but I still have to separate them once in a while. But for a few months there it was really difficult I was having to separate them or step in between them almost constantly if they were in the same room together and not crated. The bulldog would start by sniffing the maltese in the genital area and then the maltese would break and run and the bulldog thought it was time to chase and play and would tackle the maltese and pin him down. There is a food issue as well. The bulldog could care less if the maltese wanted to share his food from his bowl [not much chance of that though] but if Ace wanted some from the maltese bowl, which he always does, the maltese will growl and bite him but Ace could care less he doesn't bite back but will just keep his head close to steal some food. We now feed them in separate rooms. Of course the bulldog cleans his bowl in a matter of minutes, seconds even sometimes it seems and the maltese takes forever to eat just a tiny bit taking each piece of kibble out of the bowl and laying it on the floor and eating it and then back to the bowl for a few grains more. If the maltese quits eating and leaves food in his bowl then if the door is left open Ace will go in there and eat all the food even if he just finished eating all his. Gabe the maltese just does not like Ace though it seems Ace would like to be his buddy. It has taken constant vigilance over the months but it has improved quite a bit here lately

Thanks for the info. Only time, patience and a wee bit of luck will ensure they get on with one and other.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm, farewell Gizmo :laugh: sorry, my bad. I wish you luck, hard to keep things calm with children in the house. As long as you all are aware were the little fella is and watch them like a hawk, it'll all work out fine, relax if you can.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.