General Question Luca is so bad outside

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Luca is almost 7 months old now and still has issues with being outside. He pulls on leash (collar and harness, we use either depending on where we are going) and whenever he sees anyone; stranger or familiar, he pulls with all his strength to get to them. Just to say hello of course. No aggresive ever. When his collar is on he will actually choke himself out or to the point of throwing up. I do the usual stop and wait thing. But ounce we start moving he lunges again. This was not addressed in his puppy class and adult class is still weeks away. Has anyone had any luck correcting this with thier bully?

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I had a the same sort of problem. My friend gave me a training lead. I swear by them it was like night and day. As soon as I put it on him he walked. Didn't pull. The lead bit was always loose and he walked lovely.
Have you tried them ?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Have you tried treats when you walk him? Buster does the same thing but has gotten better the more we walk. I was having an issue with the cars going by when we walked and him always trying to run after them. We were taught in puppy school to have him watch you when you walk. You walk for a while and then stop have him sit, give him a treat and then walk have him sit give him a treat and so on and so on. Eventually he will be watching you while you walk. Having treats really makes the difference. Of course with such a good looking cutie like him its going to be virtually impossible to walk down the street and not have someone come up to you to say something about him to you.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would just try and be consistent with what you are doing .. I'll be honest and say that I don't walk mine that often because we have a huge fenced in backyard and no sidewalks where we live. There is the reservation where you can take dogs but its a mud pit at this time of year!

Maybe [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] can give you some advice!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We had this issue with Banks as a puppy... it takes time, but the more you walk him the less he will do it. As someone else said, bring treats and do periodic stops/sits with a reward. It takes lots of time and patience to get there but you will.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
A harness that hooks the lead in the front instead of the back may be helpful. They're called "Easy Walk Harness". I think this may be what [MENTION=6047]jimmyjj[/MENTION] also suggested above. I use this on Finn and it works very, very well. I need to get one for Tate next b/c he's a puller as well.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Everyone's right; no magic bullet for this. It's going to take leadership and practice! That Easy Walk tool controls the dog's head -- which is where YOUR control is. Bullies have thick necks and NO LIMITS and pulling BACK on a leash creates the opposite effect with the dog. Bo was and can still be a terrible puller and this is a situation that I alone CREATED. ACK! :eek: Learn from my mistake! It's going to be a great deal easier to modify the behavior of your pup now --- rather than wait until he's 65 lbs and pulling you all over creation with his sheer strength. Don't wait for puppy class. Do this:
1) Google "Cesar Millan - Pulls on Lead" or something similar and read until your eyes bleed.
2) Take your dog outside and PRACTICE! Bring high value treats to get -- and maintain -- his attention. Short sessions. If you feel yourself getting frustrated - end the session. Dogs will not follow an unstable pack leader (unlike humans LOL).
3) Set your pup up for success. A few sessions where you and the dog succeed will give you confidence and improve both of your performances in walking how you want to walk.
4) HAVE FUN. Building a relationship with your dog based on trust is a rewarding experience that will impact other areas of your life. Guaranteed.

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
I had issues walking mine. My girl is not a puppy. she is a 3 year old rescue so you might as well say she is a puppy becasue she never got to experience the puppy life. she came from a puppy mill. this is what I did. I walked her some then we bought a wireless fence. kinda like a underground fence except it puts off a wireless radius. she can go where her range is set and I can make it larger or smaller depending on what is going on in the yard and what I want to keep her away from at the time. she now knows if she wants to go beyond her set point that I have to walk her on a leash. leash walking is so much easier.

christyjulene

Apr 1, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbey
It's a big new world out there for a cute pup, so many people to play with. You are a good Bully daddy taking your Bully to school!

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
my ebd is almost a year and does the exact same thing. He see's someone or another dog and at times will choke himself and end up vomiting.. I have to STOP and KNEEL with him at his side and say WAIT Buddy and actually hold him in a sit position. ( he knows how to sit but when excited doesn't last long) it is one of the biggest problems I have with him actually I would have done been to school with him but everytime I turn around it seems I am taking him to a vet which can be draining on my wallet. I did find a new vet who ( several vets) is a charity organization here in palm beach county) that is a LOT less expensive than my regular vet and hopefully we will be starting some class's soon. Buddy is almost one year old and I think part of the problem is he doesn't know if it is time to walk in tune with me.. play time.. ( chase the frisbee or ball) which I have resorted to - to stimulate his attention off of other things or when I allow him to sniff and mark.. I think he might be confused because it is all the same thing we do once outdoors.. I do know if I hold the leash close. keep a tight lead on him.. he is easier to control..

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.