Biting/Mouthing

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
I know there have been posts on this before but I am unable to find exactly what I am looking for so I thought I would share our situation with you guys. Rumble is 5 1/2 months old (will be 6 months on April 2). We have completed the puppy training class where he has learned things such as sit, down, shake, stay, etc. Our biggest problem right now is his biting and/or mouthing. He will constantly just try to bite our hands. We have tried everything from telling him no, standing up and ignoring him, giving him a time out in his crate, trying to yelp really loud, spraying water in the face, coins in a water bottle, and apple bitter. He never seems to be mean when he is biting but it seems like he is more just annoyed. He has started to nip at me when I try to remove him from a place he is not supposed to be and this morning my husband was sitting with him on the floor and he tried to nip at his chin. We are working with a new trainer who will start coming to our house to work with us but we are at a loss of anything else to try in the mean time. This nipping, especially towards our faces, cannot continue. Any ideas on how we can get it to stop? Also, how do we know the difference between when they are mouthing and actually biting? I have heard mouthing is just something you will have to deal with when they are teething. I think he should almost be done teething. Any help would be appreciated!

And just so you do not think we have a devil dog, here are some pictures!

20130311_185618.jpg20130316_103457-1.jpg20130316_173535.jpg20130314_203736.jpg

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
He is a beauty. Wish I could help, I too have the same problem (has gotten much better) with Otis who is 14mos old. I'd be interested in what your trainer has to say once you start.

One thing that will stop Otis in his tracks is when my husband growls at him. I mean a low doggy growl, he stops and becomes submissive on the spot and then kisses and licks Daddy.

The other thing our "puppy" trainer told us is everytime he does that behavior, tell him no - put him on is leash and put the leash around a door knob so he has to stay right there, when he calms down let him off and if it happens again back to the leash....

Good luck and please share any tips you may get.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some pups will do this more than others, just keep telling him NO and you can even brag the side of his neck when you tell him. He will eventually grow out of it. They will test you until they get older. Diva is 8 months old and is starting to growl and try to nip when we take away a golf ball from her that she has found in the back yard. We will grab her by the side of her face and tell her NO. The other day she tried it with me and I grabbed her and submitted her. She was not happy at first but finally got the message. She is getting better and yours will too, once they figure out you will not allow it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.