Help Needed! Harness vs collar

Kona13

Mar 19, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Kona
I am trying to teach my 8 week old bully on a leash. He has a collar right now but when I put him on a leash and try to walk him. He would keep on biting the leash and won't walk with me. Should I try a harness?

RAKA Bulldogs

Jan 24, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Oscar
Yes, get a harness, collars are really hard on a bully baby's throat (trachea) when it comes to teaching them to walk since you spend most of your time trying to get them to "come along now". Gently pull them to follow and when they do, let up on the leash, when they stop again, gently pull again, and again release the leash when they follow. Repeat, many times! :)

Tkelley

Oct 15, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Guinevere, Little Be
I'm not an expert, Guinevere is my first English bulldog. However, it's my understanding that a harness is better for any short nosed breed because of the difficulty they have with breathing. I'm sure the experienced bully parents will be along soon with their advice!

Feb 19, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Georgie Girl
We went through several type of harnesses until we found just the right one. A regular harness would rub under her armpits and it would get sore. I recommend you get the Kurgo brand harness - it won't do that. The front is like a bib and the belt part actually goes around the belly. It is easy to use and doesn't hurt the dog. You can check them out by searching the internet.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It good for a bully to learn to walk with a leash also. In my opinion teaching a bully baby to walk with a lead, with harness or a collar is not just about pulling him/her to the direction you want. Are you trying to teach not to pull by pulling yourself? Try rewarding good behaviour, in this case loose lead and stop when the lead gets tight and don't move until you get his attention. If you're not getting his attention in about 10 seconds keep the lead tight and go in front of him to get his attention and when you get it reward and let the lead get loose and again start walking. And remember he is only 8 weeks old.
And not all bullys and short nosed dogs have difficulties with breathing. I'd hate to think that anybody intentionally breeds dogs with weak tracheas.

whitebronc

Jan 2, 2013
So Cal
Bulldog(s) Names
Ike
Great Advice from all, we us harnes 90 % of the time. There are times that we use a collar and leash. but it is not very often.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

I start off all of my puppies with a collar when young. I leave a collar on for time for them to get use to having it on. I also start "walking" my puppies around INSIDE the house. I do this so that when we go outside for the first time, they are already use to having a collar on and understand about what is expected. They are much more likely to follow you around INSIDE the house then outside. So start inside. Unless I am going on a walk or someplace where I might expect some challenges, I just slip a collar around them and go. If I go to the vet, the dog food store I just use a collar.

But I do agree that in some cases, an untrained dog who pulls will need to be in a harness. A harness is a good idea.

Good Day~

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We were successful with putting a collar on and the leash in the house. We just let him drag it around without us. After he got used to it, we walked him around the house. Then our yard. Before any serious walks tho, it was into a harness. Worked well for us.

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
I was urged to use a harness from my breeder but my puppy would just sit his butt down at times and I would have to lift his body up to get his butt to move... Then I sent away for a mendota leash where part of it went around his belly. then I tried the ez harness and I finally ended up using a martingale collar and leash but still at times my puppy when he doesnt want to move- wont. at times as well he becomes so excited with certain dogs he chokes himself and actually vomits.. I now when he becomes excited like that have him to command him to sit and we let the other dog pass before continuing. I get on one knee and pat him and let him know he is doing good by staying seated with me I noticed that if I keep the leash short ( a foot an a half from my hand to his collar) and use the same command every time ( Lets go Buddy) and at first I was actually having to almost lift him up a tad.. but I always let him know GOOD BOY and it is working . he can feel when there is a little tension and walks fast right beside me and I have had to continually praise him to let him know what I want.. He is getting better for sure but hasn't been nuetered yet.. so he , in certain areas does the sniiff and mark thing and I just have to be patient with him. sorry I rambled. lol

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I like both. I have a Julius k9 harness there the lead goes onto to middle of the dog ( apposed to right behind the dogs neck ) there's no way the dog can bite that!
Or the trusty training lead, slip it on and away you go.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
All of mine have collars on but they really are just for "decoration" .. I call them their accessories!! :whistle: :rolleyes:

For walking it is a harness everytime.

BarbaraDavis

Apr 7, 2013
Corona, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
none of my own
I always recommend people walk their bullies on harnesses and not collars. Bullies have very short respiratory tracts and pulling against a collar can put a great deal of strain on their throat and lungs and make them pant hard. I recommend the Walk In Sync humane walking harness. It fits great, is very comfortable and secure for the dog, and helps to reduce or eliminate pulling. The company also has tons of great training videos to help you learn how to teach your dog loose-leash walking.

Make sure you're not pulling on the leash, or the dog will resist. Try to keep the leash loose and encourage the dog to follow you by making silly sounds with your mouth, or using a food lure. Some folks like to toss food treats on the ground out in front of the dog to encourage walking forward. Any of these should work!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.