Help Needed! Aggressive or not?

Kona13

Mar 19, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Kona
We have a 8 week old puppy. His attitude has been changing lately. He would bite my wife's toes and pants. My wife would say " No" and push his head away but he would try to snap at her hand. He has his moments when he knows to lick and not bite but as the day goes by he goes back to trying to chase and bite her feet. Is this something I should be concerned about. I don't want him to bite my kids when he grows old. This is our first family dog and any advice would be appreciated.

Kahnefan5

Dec 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian & Thatcher RIP--Cutter 12/01/2003-04/06/2012 & Tug 07/03/2006-07/19/2010
I think it is natural for them at this age, our now 9 month old puppy did the exact same thing when he was 8 weeks old, he did it for about 2 months, he would do that with me, our 7 year old son but mostly to our 4 year old EBD/Boxer mix, we would tell him no biting and push his face away, we believe it was mostly done because he was teething, we bought him some elk antler chews and that really seemed to help. With constant discipline and some good chew toys, he will stop. Because he is still a baby he doesnt understand right from wrong and to him everything is a chew toy, including people. I now that I wasn't any help, but this is normal for such a young puppy, but we have to teach them.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
This is perfectly normal behavior for his age. Be consistent, firm and let him know who is in charge, BUT do it without aggression yourself. You will have to find what works best for your pup. You can try spray bottles,( our pup loved them) deep barking( this would get his attention, but then he learned to bark back!) redirection worked sometimes, but there were times when all the toys in the world were not as good as the toes he was trying to bite! So, we then tried " putting him on his side" where you take your hand and bring the pup down keeping your hand cupped over his neck so he is on his side- much like a mother dog would do to discipline. This made our pup worse, as did putting him on his back. So we finally found that putting him in his crate for a short time calmed him right down and when he came out he was a different dog. I had puncture marks all over my arms and legs not because he was aggressive, his nature was to bite EVERYTHING and I was usually the closest thing. He is 5 months now and will still go for toes on occasion, but the biting is much much less. Some dogs get through this stage quicker than others. There are a ton of old threadsnon this- check them out. Good luck!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Perfectly normal, the key is to be consistent with him. You can try redirection to a toy, others put pennies in a can and shake it. Some use water bottles. This will pass don't fret, Kona is still a baby and needs to be treated as such. Another thing you can try is yelping when he bites you, this would be a normal reactions from one of his litter mates if he bit them and it hurt. Check out this article

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?543-I-Am-Your-Puppy

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN and the world of Bulldogs...... as others have said this is very normal. try top redirect the chewing/biting by giving him something that he should cheew on ... a bone or toy

whitebronc

Jan 2, 2013
So Cal
Bulldog(s) Names
Ike
This sounds like normal puppy. Kona is young, he is going mouth, bite chew. Its how they explore their world, how they play. as they teeth it will prolly get a little worse. Our Ike is a little over 5 months old and his biting has calmed down. Now when we are rough housing, he is very mouthy, but not really biting to hurt. when he is calm, the biting really isn't there. you will be thankful when the puppy teeth are gone tho that's for sure!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.