General Question 7 Month old male around 5 month old female. (humping problems)

NateB

Jan 4, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
My male is considerably larger than my female. and when the play fight, he will sometimes pin her down and hump her. When I see it happen, i obviously stop him. But I cant keep an eye on them 24/7 and I'm worried about him "catching" her. She hasn't even had a heat cycle yet, and i can only imagine how he is going to act when that happens.

What kind of precautions should i take to prevent my little girl from getting hurt? Is there anyway I could get my male to be less of a hornball? Maybe get him another date for a night or two? lol or is he still to young for something like that?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Nate -- welcome to EBN.

I have no experience with intact behavior so I tagged a few members that may have some insight for you

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well boys will be boys. The best way and safest way is to crate them when you are not home or at night when you can not watch them. The next thing is to have them spayed and neutered. Some vets recommend waiting on the males until about 18 months to neuter, but there have been people neuter their males sooner with no problem. Females usually get spayed either before they go into a heat cycle or wait 2 to 3 months after a heat cycle.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Diesel is 8 months old and is exactly the same. I have started to put a few coins in a metal can and when he barks or humps I shake it. He stops and I tell him no.

It's working so far

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
Humping is considered rude doggy behavior and a time out each and every time will help. If he is put in his crate or in another room for a 2 minute time out he will learn that the fun stops when he does humping behavior. There are all sorts of reasons dogs hump in addition to hormonal - to show dominance, to burn off excitement and to express anxiety. You know your Bully best so once you determine the reason it will help with the kind of correction/management you need to do. There is very new information that is just out that delaying spaying and neutering if possible is now preferable. Something to do with minimizing hip dysplasia because of the hormone influences on bone fusing. Which means waiting if possible. Not always the right decision but worth having a chat with your vet about if you can manage the behavior. With Buster I will have to wait and see what his temperament is like when he hits puberty. At the same time I do not want to torture Miss Tallulah.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Heck, try putting a diaper on him too. He might stop

OP
N

NateB

Jan 4, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
Thanks everyone! All the advice has been helpful. I'd prefer not to get them fixed.

He isnt completely out of control just yet. I was just concerned about My female getting hurt. They are both crate trained, so im not worried about them at night or while we are gone. Ill keep a watchful eye out and hopefully he keeps himself under control!

Thanks again!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Expecting a pup to be able to self-regulate INSTINCT is folly. As long as you have in tact dogs -- both male and female - you're going to have issues. There's probably more at play here than just hormones, as well. That pinning and humping during play -- isn't play and should be stopped whenever it occurs. It is, as [MENTION=4570]Tooleysmom[/MENTION] said, rude behavior. For my Bo its occurence is a result of over-excitement - not the desire to mate. Bo doesn't have his equipment so he does not suffer the frustration of having his equipment and NOT being able to mate. Waiting for him to get "out of control" and then doing something isn't the way to go either. It's harder to rehabilitate a negative behavior than it is to stop it in the first place. [MENTION=7649]NateB[/MENTION] you are really going to have to be the pack leader at your house!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Bogey was neutered at just shy of 5 months. He started humping me just last week( he is 6 months) and at only one time- at night when our routine is to sit on the couch, he usually gnaws on his bone stretched out across my lap. He would usually tire out and fall asleep until his last potty run of the night, andthen in the crate. Last week however, he started with this ritual: hopping up on the couch with his bone as usual. Laying across my lap, gnawing his toy for only a few minutes, then hopping up on my shoulder to hump! I was shocked! So, his lesson was that if he humps, he gets off the couch and there is no "cuddle time". He did not like it one bit, but it curbed it. He will still try everynight, but is slowly learning he can't do that and be welcome on the couch. He is persistant, but I am bigger and MORE determined to win! These guys are the most bullheaded dogs I have ever had the pleasure of raising, but I love him to pieces!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.