General Question rescue dog was in heat when I got her

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
when we rescued Gretchen she was in the beginning of her heat cycle. it has been 3 weeks and she is still bleeding. I didn't know they bled for that long. is her attitude different when in heat versus out. it was a horrible time to get a rescue dog but they were ready to get rid of her because they didn't want the burden of the heat.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
when we rescued Gretchen she was in the beginning of her heat cycle. it has been 3 weeks and she is still bleeding. I didn't know they bled for that long. is her attitude different when in heat versus out. it was a horrible time to get a rescue dog but they were ready to get rid of her because they didn't want the burden of the heat.

Oh my goodness..this just gets worse! Of course, this affects her behavior and can change her personality. Let's get some experienced with this here.
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]. [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]...

OP
michelle23093

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
yes I guess it just dawned on me that this might be the biggest problem. how long are they in heat for usually? I don't know anything about her history other that what the vet has told me at her check up.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
yes I guess it just dawned on me that this might be the biggest problem. how long are they in heat for usually? I don't know anything about her history other that what the vet has told me at her check up.

I have a male Bully but have had lots of females of other breeds..others will be better to explain..but it won't be until she is out of heat that you will even see her real self! Hang in there..others will come during their day.
Thinking [MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious[/MENTION] might pipe in too

L

Lucy-licious

Lucy get very mouthy when she's in heat. Lots of shouting, pushing and general naughtiness. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] and @desertskbulldogs can explain the cycle better, but Lucy did bleed for almost 3 weeks this time and then for another week or so she was still having blood stained discharge and as I believe it that is the time when they are most likely to catch.

If you calculate around 3 months after she finishes that will be a good time to get her spayed. Our vet told us the safest time is in the middle of her seaons. seasons are usually around 6 to 8 months appart. some are shorter some longer. each dog is different. So as you dont know when her last season was I would suggest 3 months to be safe :hug:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious[/MENTION] has given you some good info. She should be finished with it soon. Then like she said, wait a few months before you spay her. About a month after her heat cycle, watch her, and if she starts to have a dark, kind of chocolate milk looking discharge, get her to a vet ASAP as it could be Pyometra, a potentially deadly infection.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Heat cycles can vary in length, flow and severity, just like humans, it doesn't have to be exactly the same every cycle.
Mood change go's along with the territory..

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Well my goodness, Michelle...you've had your challenges with adoption!

It's been too long for me to help w/heat issues, I've had all males for a
long time but you'll get help.

Gretchen may be much more mellow when her heat is over and especially
after spayed...I think this is great news as she is hormonal and just that
could be the reason for her behavior. She might be so much easier than
she seems to be right now! Also, she might be less reactive to your cat
once she's over her heat and fixed...keeping fingers crossed for y'all!

Members online

No members online now.