Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
Rescued a bullie about 3 weeks ago.. she has had a very hard life thus far. she is 3 years old and such a sweetie at times. she deserves a good home with a family to love her. I have tried to be very patient and work with her. she has 3 issues that are my concerns. One issue is snapping at me when I go to get her from under the table or tell her to go somewhere and try to grab her collar. She was crated alot ( well most of the day) so I'm sure she hates to think she might go back to that. Also she can't seem to leave my cat alone. we have tried everything. Also, she has a lot of food aggression especially with her bone. she doesn't like to give you something she has decided to chew on even if she knows its not hers. She shows teeth and growls and goes to bite. is there anything that anyone can offer as a suggestion to any of these 3 problems. I know its only been 3 week but I want to start doing what I can ASAP. thanks in advance. will make my days less stressful!!!! she deserves love and I want to give it to her.

I want to start by saying Thank You for rescuing Gretchen and giving her a new chance for a great life!!

Snapping at you:
my best advice is to not grab her collar when she has retreated to what she considers a "safe place" she has had a difficult life and trust is not something she has a lot of at this point. The very best thing you can do for her it to set very clear Rules, Boundaries & Limitations and be Very Consistent with them ... she will feel safer when she knows what is expected of her. Once she knows what is expected of her she will learn to trust you and once she trusts you, her issues will lessen. So in the beginning to keep yourself safe, leave a leash on her all the time and avoid grabbing towards her collar, always use the leash to lead her out of her hiding spots, offering her a treat will make her want to come to you. If she snaps, growls or bares her teeth at you give her a verbal "ATAT" sound to let her know that is not alright to do and also at the very same time as the verbal sound, give a slight pull to the side on her leash ... this tells her you don't want her to do that. When she stops, be sure to tell her "good girl" and give attention and possibly a treat for doing what you want her to.

Crate Training: Make the crate a positive place to go, treats to go in the crate and lots of praise and good girls for being in the crate, don't use the crate as a punishment spot and she won't mind being in there when you need her to be safely put in a crate. Try a nice bed in the crate so she is comfortable in there and can relax while being there.

The Cat: Not sure what she is doing with the cat, is she chasing or is she being aggressive? You can try a water bottle, when she does the behavior you don't like you can spray water at her, don't spray her in the face, just towards her neck ... or you could use the verbal "ATAT" and slight pull to the side of the leash to disagree with her behavior ... or you could use a can of coins and shake it when you want to disagree with her behavior.

Food Aggression: This will take time and a lot of patience ... I would start by making her work for all her food, teach her to "sit" and "wait" before she is allowed to eat and a nice walk before getting food is a good idea. I would also suggest that her main meals be done by hand feeding her, she learns that you control her food, when she gets to eat and how she gets her food, this puts you in charge and she will learn to look to you when she needs something. When you need to get a bone, toy or something she has claimed, I would suggest using the "body block" technique, you walk up to her and use your legs, feet etc to walk her back away from what ever it is she has, don't grab for it, she will feel the need to protect it, but if you calmly walk towards her and use your body to block her from the object she will give it up easier and release, don't reach for it until she walks away, that way she knows you have claimed the object as yours.

Always use "Calm Assertive Energy" when working with her, try to never use anger towards her, she won't respond to that energy but being positive and being calm assertive makes her respect you as her leader. Good luck, I hope things get better soon!!

OP
michelle23093

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
with the cat I think she is actually curious. she started off only going for him when he ran which was quick movement. not she will jump on the counch to get him when he is on the back. then its a escalation of who is gonna get hurt and most of the time its Gretchen. she will walk past the cat when its onthe porch and I will say atttt and she walks on. if off the leash she messes with him if he moves. I tried separating them but as you know cats tear up carpet trying to get out of a room and my carpet is all trashed so I have to let him out in smapp periods. when summer gets here well spring the cat will stay outside more. it always works but we have snow today so no one wants to go out. I tried the water bottle and it worked some but she still lunges for the cat. she has not physically hurt him yet but there will be that one time she does. hes 13 and still very active and set in his ways so the cat is not scared of the dog. sometimes seems he taunts Gretchen and we have to laugh but at the same time have to put him outside in the cold. not 100% fair being he was here for many years first. I will try the leash while she is in here always and see if that works better especially when I see the cat around. the cat is my main problem that I want solved. I can deal with the other issues slowly.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Welcome, interested in hearing about Gretchens progress as you go foward. One thing for sure us on your side, bulldogs are VERY smart so she may come along quicker then you think. Best of luck to you. What a wonderful thing you are doing.

OP
michelle23093

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
I will be here and let everyone know. she is sweet and beautiful- I want her to blend in well with the family

- - - Updated - - -

I will be here and let everyone know. she is sweet and beautiful- I want her to blend in well with the family

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Best of luck with your sweet Gretchen. You've got some fantastic advice here! Fear issues are the hardest to rehabilitate. Best of luck!!!!! You can do this!!! After all, Gretchen didn't get to rescue by being the best dog in the universe...it's going to take time and a whole lotta patience ---- and leadership.

OP
michelle23093

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
She's doing alot better. Since we got the underground fence and she can go out without a leAsh, things have gotten better. She feels more comfortable here and she behaves better as well. She has stopped the using bathroom in house and she doesn't bite when u grab her collar. She still doesn't like the cats but... That another step. Got the bad behavior down for now. I can say I am happy to have her around and I can tell she feels the same way.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
:clap2: Oh I'm so happy to read this. :2thumbs: It can only get better as she trust's you, and you her. the bond is there. build on it

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She's doing alot better. Since we got the underground fence and she can go out without a leAsh, things have gotten better. She feels more comfortable here and she behaves better as well. She has stopped the using bathroom in house and she doesn't bite when u grab her collar. She still doesn't like the cats but... That another step. Got the bad behavior down for now. I can say I am happy to have her around and I can tell she feels the same way.

Fantastic news.... great progress. Stay consistent, if you let up she will go back

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.