Help Needed! Rescued a Bull dog and need help with training

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
Rescued a bullie about 3 weeks ago.. she has had a very hard life thus far. she is 3 years old and such a sweetie at times. she deserves a good home with a family to love her. I have tried to be very patient and work with her. she has 3 issues that are my concerns. One issue is snapping at me when I go to get her from under the table or tell her to go somewhere and try to grab her collar. She was crated alot ( well most of the day) so I'm sure she hates to think she might go back to that. Also she can't seem to leave my cat alone. we have tried everything. Also, she has a lot of food aggression especially with her bone. she doesn't like to give you something she has decided to chew on even if she knows its not hers. She shows teeth and growls and goes to bite. is there anything that anyone can offer as a suggestion to any of these 3 problems. I know its only been 3 week but I want to start doing what I can ASAP. thanks in advance. will make my days less stressful!!!! she deserves love and I want to give it to her.

L

Lucy-licious

Well...first off thank you for giving your girl a chance at a happy home. I'm not the best at advising over training issues but someone will be along soon with great advise. Patience and positive enforcement is key in this instance. Treats for doing good. It sounds like she is showing her teeth and snapping as a fear reaction..especially with the hiding under the table thing. It might be a good idea to pop her leash on so that you don't need to grab for her collar. Then along with treats and encouragement you can entice her out xx
@JAKEISGREAT @cowsmom @JeannieCO @2BullyMama, @Davidh ate but a few that will pop along with advise and support.

hang in there sweetie :hug:

OP
michelle23093

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
thanks for responding. I'm hoping in time she will learn to trust me without fear. I know she has a lot of trust issues so I leave her be when she starts to growl but giving in might not be the best way of training because then she won't respect me as authority. Im not a very agressive person and very passive so training her and being stern doing it might be hard for me. I give in to easy. I have to learn to be more of an authority figure. I just feel so bad for her and the hard life she has had. I almost feel like she is too hold and set in her ways to change but its only been a few weeks so I need to be more positive

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Bless you for taking her in. It will take some time for her to trust anyone, so patience is the key. Try getting her to come out from under the table with calling her and offering a treat. A leash on her may help as you can use it also, but let her come to the treat. Food aggression is hard to break, and some will never get over it. But to start, feed her from your hand. Hand feeding will make her think you are in control of the food and she is dependent on you for it. As far as the toys or chew bones that may take some time, and as she starts to trust you and knows your are the alpha, (which hand feeding her will help with this), that problem may go away. The main thing is just be patient with her, and in time she may come around.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..the snapping and behavior is totally because she is afraid..probably terrified. She has no reason to trust you yet...and because she has had a rough life, you will have to work harder to earn her trust. First thing I would suggest..is to move very slowly and quietly with her. Never grab her..her collar or reach for her if she is afraid. Don't raise your voice and let her adjust on her own schedule. Imagine if you can, being a very frightened bully..probably having been mistreated, at the very leash, not loved. She probably doesn't know what love is, let alone what you might do to her. Are you using a crate?

You won't be able to solve ALL her problems at once, but letting her calmly find her place will lead to baby steps and before you know...she will be much better. Is it possible or have you taken her for a walk around her new neighborhood? But it must be an enjoyable experience. No grabbing,yelling or dragging. If she isn't ready yet, then sit by her..on her level, and let her come to you. take what she gives you. reward her and speak like she is a frightened child...she is, you know. Others will be along too...we can help you..I know we can. Don't get discouraged and upset. She will sense everything.

I just saw the part of her being crated too much..just know, a lot of dogs feel safe in their crates..maybe offer her one with the door open. Then if she needs a "safe" place..it's there..no forcing, just there. Worth a try.

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Bless you for taking her in. It will take some time for her to trust anyone, so patience is the key. Try getting her to come out from under the table with calling her and offering a treat. A leash on her may help as you can use it also, but let her come to the treat. Food aggression is hard to break, and some will never get over it. But to start, feed her from your hand. Hand feeding will make her think you are in control of the food and she is dependent on you for it. As far as the toys or chew bones that may take some time, and as she starts to trust you and knows your are the alpha, (which hand feeding her will help with this), that problem may go away. The main thing is just be patient with her, and in time she may come around.

Also, quiet and calmness will go a long way on her earning trust. She may be nervous for some time. Patience like David has said. and keep us posted please

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Three bows to you for taking her in. There is good advice in this forum and you have received some already. When you win her over and have her confidence, acceptance and trust it will all have been well worth it

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Not only is there good advice and community here but also excellent support, when you become exasperated and feel like throwing in the towel you can come here and get the encouragement you need to keep on

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I agree with all the excellent advice given already and just wanted to say,
'Welcome' and to thank you for adopting her. I adopted an older bully, Brutus,
who had multiple previous owners and had been excessively caged (had ruined
his teeth chewing on the wire crate so it had started early). Brutus was very
laid back & very mellow but he did have trust issues & fear and it showed up,
here & there. It's okay to back off and back down right now, with bullies, the
worst thing to do is to try to force them to do what they do not wish to do.

Focus on being quiet, calm & patient and also, your goal right now, which is to
win her trust. Do alpha things like, feeding her food from your hand, go in & out
doors before her, making her sit, stay, etc. Keep her on a short leash inside the
house (this will help until she leaves the cat alone) and just learning to obey you.

I promise you, there is a great, loyal & loving dog in this frightened baby (bullies
aren't mature until 3) and she will be worth every second of your sacrifice and
trials (there will be many) but stay the course, come here, ask anything (we do)
and vent out your frustrations (we've been there) and will be again, lol

Bullies aren't for everyone, they don't behave like regular dogs but there is no
other breed once you've had your heart taken by a bully...you'll see!

Best of luck and will keep y'all in my prayers...Carol

OP
michelle23093

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
this actually made me cry that there are so many people willing to help a stranger. I appreciate all the help. from the bottom of my heart. I have cried many nights thinking that she is not gonna work out for our family and she has been through so much I feel that I don't want to have to give her up to someone else new AGAIN. I do crate her for misbehaving although I am only doing that now till my exercise pen arrives this week. I want her to have a different kind of time out versus the crate that she has been in all her life. I spoiled her and bought her a pink crate for when we have to leave the house. I don't trust her alone at all yet, especially with my cats around. I have spent many hours at night researching behavior traits and how to resolve them. I can't afford a trainer to come to my home. It is almost like a couple house payments. Just don't have that to spare in t his economy. I am so glad that I founf this group. she listens to me better than my husband but worships him. she just won't listen to him. I am home all day with her and he works. i work from home. i own my own daycare so its important to get her trained as soon as I can. she is good with the kids. no jumping. I just fear she will bite them if they try to take her toy. now I let her out at small intervials a day to see them and keep her in the kitchen in a fence type gate to roam freely. have to get the aggression for stuff she wants down pat before I can let her venture.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
this actually made me cry that there are so many people willing to help a stranger. I appreciate all the help. from the bottom of my heart. I have cried many nights thinking that she is not gonna work out for our family and she has been through so much I feel that I don't want to have to give her up to someone else new AGAIN. I do crate her for misbehaving although I am only doing that now till my exercise pen arrives this week. I want her to have a different kind of time out versus the crate that she has been in all her life. I spoiled her and bought her a pink crate for when we have to leave the house. I don't trust her alone at all yet, especially with my cats around. I have spent many hours at night researching behavior traits and how to resolve them. I can't afford a trainer to come to my home. It is almost like a couple house payments. Just don't have that to spare in t his economy. I am so glad that I founf this group. she listens to me better than my husband but worships him. she just won't listen to him. I am home all day with her and he works. i work from home. i own my own daycare so its important to get her trained as soon as I can. she is good with the kids. no jumping. I just fear she will bite them if they try to take her toy. now I let her out at small intervials a day to see them and keep her in the kitchen in a fence type gate to roam freely. have to get the aggression for stuff she wants down pat before I can let her venture.

Awww Michelle, you've definitely found the right group of people to help you all we can. Just a couple things I picked up from reading above. Even though time outs are required..lol...try to NOT use the crate as a punishment. Just try to correct her misbehavior by immediate response and redirection. Especially with a daycare and lots of children around, she WiLL need a secure quiet place to go. And if she looks upon it as a punishment, it'll be impossible for her to learn the differences for being in her spot. I would definitely keep her away from the children until she has overcome her fears. Don't let them point or poke at her..try to keep her in a quiet place removed from the noise and normal hustle and bustle. Children playing and having fun is a wonderful Enviroment for us..but or a lost Bully soul, it will raise her excitement level and keep her on edge. When the children are gone and your house settles down is the time for her to bond with your family. Still quietly and slowly. Then as she finds her place, she can be exposed in increasing intervals to at least watching the kids. Absolutely realize...it's not fair to her or the kids to have her around them yet. I'm sure you can find a quiet removed area for her pen. They are really fine to sleep and rest quietly for hours at a time. When you take her out, try to do it calmly with little involvement with the kids. Then back to her safe area. Over the coming months, you will know when, it will be ok for her to interact more, but not until she has found a secure place in your own family.

OP
michelle23093

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
thanks- I told my husband that the crate might not be the best place for a punishment for her- maybe another dog but not Gretchen

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Michelle -- you have rec'd great advice from the members.... be patent, stay calm and work on one thing at a time while building her trust. As others have said, do not try to pull her from somewhere she deems 'safe' - she is in protection mode at that point and will bite or give warning (growl). Use a collar/leash in the house to get/maintain control and establish bond/trust and hand feeding will boost that traust as well.

Food aggresstion --- can you give some examples here? Since you refer to a bone, it may not be food or toy agression, it may just be her still at a level of not trusting.

I also read your other thread related to her being in heat --- as Lucy-licious and Jakeis great stated, her heat will play a big part in her mood/behavior so you may not be seeing the 'real' Gretchen just yet.

OP
michelle23093

michelle23093

Mar 17, 2013
virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretchen
she will find a toy that she wants of the kids and start chewing. I say drop it alot and she never does. as I attmept to go get it- she starts to growl and snap at me. she gets really mean sounding and gets kinda scary. she hasn't had any issues with my other dog with food but Gretchen eats so fast that my other dog has no time to steal any LOL> she does this with her bone- I thought maybe she deems it as hers and we should mess with it. I have encouraged her to chew in her box. that was the main reason for buying it was so she had something to do if we had to leave. I wanted to take it up wach time I return but have trouble getting it from her. we have to steal it when she goes out to use bathroom. so not sure if it is food aggression but the dominance that it is hers. just trying to understand her is hard for me.

- - - Updated - - -

what a rotten time to adopt a dog- in heat :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
she will find a toy that she wants of the kids and start chewing. I say drop it alot and she never does. as I attmept to go get it- she starts to growl and snap at me. she gets really mean sounding and gets kinda scary. she hasn't had any issues with my other dog with food but Gretchen eats so fast that my other dog has no time to steal any LOL> she does this with her bone- I thought maybe she deems it as hers and we should mess with it. I have encouraged her to chew in her box. that was the main reason for buying it was so she had something to do if we had to leave. I wanted to take it up wach time I return but have trouble getting it from her. we have to steal it when she goes out to use bathroom. so not sure if it is food aggression but the dominance that it is hers. just trying to understand her is hard for me.

- - - Updated - - -

what a rotten time to adopt a dog- in heat :(

Seems she is doing what is called 'resource guarding'... meaning, yes, it is hers. What you need to do is work with her by replacing it with something and getting her to realize she will get it back. So, get your self loads of treats, and SLOWLY work to reward her for letting you take what she has. Use the word drop or leave it... when she does treat her - do not place you hand on the item until you have her attention to the treat. This will take a long time and you might want to wait till her heat has [assed.

Something to read which will help -- 'Nothing in life is free' you can look it up on the web. It is a training technique that works very well.

Most Reactions