Help Needed! Housebreaking from Wee Pads to the Outside.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hi everyone,

Blue's getting his last set of shots today, so we need to start housebreaking.
Problem is, he's trained to go on wee wee pads, and I have no idea how to now train him to go outside, instead of inside.
Don't even know where to start.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Start by picking up the wee wee pads. Some start out by taking the pup outside every hour, but by how his bladder is big enough to go longer. I watch the puppy and when he starts sniffing around on the floor it is time to head out. Give lots of praise when he goes outside! good luck1

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You can either leave the pee pads down or take them up. it's up to you. Just take him out after he has eaten, after he has played, or as soon as he wakes from a nap, and every few hours in between. At night leave the pee pads down so he will have a place to go whne you are sleeping. Our pups will start out on pee pads but when they get bigger usually play with them and chew them so that's when we take them up. Keep taking him out side to potty and he will eventually get it. Be patient and consistent as it will take some time.

Last edited:
OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] Thank you for the advice.
Alice, I know what you mean about the sniffing. He does circles as he sniffs. Problem is, we're on the 17th floor. So if I wait, we'll never make it downstairs in time.

I'm gonna spend this weekend timing him from eating and drinking, to peeing and pooing. Gonna try to get a better idea on how much time I have.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
[MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] 17 floors up!!! And there's probably no peeing or pooping allowed in the elevator....Is there a puppy safe balcony deck? I'd try to get some artificial turf I could hose down. Better yet find a way to teach him to use the toilet, or do you have a walk in shower with a hand held shower head? You could pick up the poop with toilet paper and flush it and wash the pee down the shower. Good luck!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Dang, 17 floors up???? Holy crap!, I think I'd teach him to use a potty box. You can get the kind that is made from re-cycled newspaper, so if he eats a little it won't hurt him. Just a thought.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] haha.. imagine?! lol..
No balcony here though, and hubs is opposed to the litter box idea.
he said he's a dog not a cat!
But, I think it's a great idea and am working on him.

fosteroni

Feb 24, 2013
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Foster (3); Harley (2002 - 2010)
I had mentioned to you in a previous thread I have no experience with the use of pads - just crate to outside; however, I had one of my "aha at 3am" moments thinking that I may have a tiny bit of help for you. Yet now that we know you live 17 floors up into the sky with no balcony, my tiny bit of advice will not matter one bit. I'll keep thinking ... perhaps I will have another "aha" moment!

For what it is worth, so far I like the box idea best. :)
Good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online