Help Needed! How do YOU let your bully know that you are serious?

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Matilda, to this day, no matter how sternly I say "No" is convinced that I'm just kidding.

It is soooooooooooooo annoying.

If I yelled, "no" she'd bark back, so now we do calm, stern, "No", and she responds with a play-bow and running up to me anyway.

Like today, I was cleaning and told her "no" when she tried to attack my cleaning supplies. This turned into a great fun game, where I'd clean, she'd attack, I'd shoo her away, she'd run, and come back for more seconds later - ugh!

Do your bullies believe you when you say no? How do I convince her that I am not playing?!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
My Jack who is 8 years old still does this, it's the playful personality. None of my others do this

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Awwwww! She is just having fun...lol...all I have to do is look at Jake a certain way and he totally gets it. Nothing I've done,to be sure..think it's just his personality!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree personality for sure. I have two, brother and sister, my male Dozer is the most laid back laziest dog I've ever seen. He doesn't care what you do to him, you can bath him, cut his nails, brush him, take anything away from him, and he doesn't care. He doesn't like to walk, and is happiest just snuggling, getting belly rubs, and sleeping. Lol. His sister Blossom is just crazy, she will walk forever, she is full of beans, she rams her brother, and won't let him sleep, she bites his ears, bites his leg like he's a porkchop , so we had to get them separate crates, she takes all his toys, his food, and he lets her. She lies on her belly, puts her butt in the air, and then rams him. She rams us, and wants to play nonstop. She likes to cuddle too, but she has much more energy than he does.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Have you tried "saying" no without making a sound? By using energy / body language. Dogs interpret their world in this order: nose, eyes, ears. With practice and consistency, you can say no without saying a thing. Giving in "when they're cute" LOL is easy to do...but it undermines the goal, of course. I do this a lot -- give in to cute -- and it's not helping my cause any. One of the leadership rituals I do is with regard to following me out to the deck for a smoke. They both want to go and I invite one or the other - or tell them they cannot go with me -- using energy body language. By practicing this over and over, they've become very keen to "listening" to the silence of what I want. Pretty cool. But because this is being learned and it takes practice, it's by no means ironclad. If Bo sees the lawn maintenance guy, all bets are off -- he doesn't care WHAT I want...he wants to go visit his pal! hahahahaha And he gets so much joy out of it, I let him. (Giving in to "cute")

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
I usually sternly look at Punk and say "REALLY!". She will then hunker down and slowly walk towards me looking up with her eyes and of course I pat her on her head and she trots merrily off. . . .

L

Lucy-licious

Lucy is good when it come to understanding NO...but she rarely needs to be told these days. Billy however will stick his booty in the air, wag his tail, bark and dance around. I just wait for him to calm down then tell him good boy for being calm. He will then lay down until next time :ROFL: he is still only 10 months old though so I'm not to down on him, puppies, after all will be puppies. And besides, Lucy grew up and got it, so I suspect Billy will too x

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Tubby's started this too! I say no and he barks at me like a little brat talking back... I feel your pain on the cleaning part. Sweeping has become his favorite game *sigh* he thinks the broom is his to chase. Same thing with the vacuum he LOVES the vacuum. I don't understand that little weirdo sometimes but I have noriced bulldogs probably have the most personality out of any other breed of dog I've ever had.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I give the human version of the :stinkeye: and she gets if very quickly

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.