Help Needed! Help! My bully is showing aggression toward me

amelson19933

Dec 28, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I'm in need of help! Tank is 11 months old and showing aggression with items he finds around the house. When he grabs something he isn't supposed to have, and I try to take it away, he will growl, snarl and bite. Tonight was the first time he bit me hard enough to break skin and bruise my hand. He doesn't show aggression with males as much as females. He obeys my boyfriend and recognizes him as an Alfa however, he will rarely obey me. He has started this aggression with family members too and we're afraid he may bite our young nieces and nephews. We are trying to be proactive and stop this before it gets worse. Any advice is welcomed. We are thinking about calling the vet and finding obedience training in our area also

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Obedience training would be good, I'm going to enroll Ace in obedience training in the next few weeks. This particular training school does not take dogs for obedience training until about 6 months of age but said I could bring him in at around 5 months. It's a class and the trainer said that the socialization in the class would be good for the dog as well as the obedience training. Meanwhile they were very helpful in providing advice until then. I was/am doing the right things according to the trainer.
Bottom line don't let your dog get away with the aggressive behavior. Say NO in an authoratative voice, shake a can of pennies, redirect to appropriate items the dog is allowed to chew on or submit the dog if necessary. Be consistent. Also the dog needs to be exercised and tired out to get the razor edge off. You may be doing many of these things but you must be consistent.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Also the trainer told me when I mentioned submitting the dog not to put the dog in an alpha roll. That submitting is ok and necessary at times but the so called alpha roll that some suggest can be counter productive and really doesn't add any benefit. These people are very experienced trainers and have been training working dogs, police and guard dogs for many years to serve in law enforcement, protection and the like. They have dogs shipped to them from all parts of the country and out of country to train.

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm not an expert, but we have always had some very strong willed breeds. What I would do..is first of all, try not to let his excitement escalate. In other words, don't let him possess anything he might claim. Excitement, even playing, often goes to the next level quickly and with not much warning. I would leash him and make him be my best friend. You make the decisions and choices. He follows you...you go first. His survival depends on you. Anyway..that is what you want him to believe.

Feed him by hand for awhile. Make him sit and you feed him. There are many ways to take control back from him. Good walks help immensely.

Obedience classes of course will help. But you have to reclaim your space with or without classes. That will help to reinforce what he learns in class, but he will follow your lead.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]. @Sherry. @Davidh.. @Vicaroo1000.. @cali~jenn

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] has given you some good advise, plus when he growls at you or anyone else, tell him "NO!!!" In a very spurn voice. If you put the leash on him jerk the leash sharply to the side when you say NO. My wife and I will grab the side of their face and hold tight when we say NO, but if your not comfortable with that, then don't do it, because it can backfire on you. Make him earn everything. When you go on walks, make him sit by the door until you go through the door first, then he can come through. When you walk he walks beside you and a little behind you, not in front of you. Put the leash on him and when he has a toy, pick up the leash and take the toy away from him, if he growls, snap the leash sharply to the side and say NO and take the toy away. Keep doing this until he gets it. Go on walks too to wear him out. The obedience class will help too.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well I am no expert, only can offer what I would do with my experience with Miila. no toys down freely and only given when YOU r giving it. I know I keep saying this in every aggression type of thread but hand feed him. You feed him, showing that you r in fact alpha and he needs you or survival. Feed bite by bite, taking your time and making him work for each bite. This was a huge door opener for my Miila. Once you feel real progress you can allow more bowl feeding by starting each feeding with the handful, sit/stay etc. then can allow him to eat but then take a break as I call it. I would snap my fingers behind Miila while saying take a break, let her stop chewing, then expect her to take a step back and back to sit/stay. I would have her take as many as 4 breaks in a feeding. Before allowing him back to it, he must again do a trick on command-working for his meal. Good luck! You r doing great by him in fixing this now ASAP before it gets worse.

OP
amelson19933

amelson19933

Dec 28, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Thank you everyone for your advice! We have tried positive reinforcement and we've found that he's afraid of squirt bottles so we will spray him with water when he's not listening. Well have to try your suggestions to see of they help any more.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you everyone for your advice! We have tried positive reinforcement and we've found that he's afraid of squirt bottles so we will spray him with water when he's not listening. Well have to try your suggestions to see of they help any more.

Water bottle is what I was going to suggest.... also, look up on the internet ... "Nothing In Life Is Free" GREAT to help get control/pack lead of a strong willed pup

GOOD luck and keep us posted

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Establishing and maintaining leadership with your pup takes time and consistent practice. Leadership rituals go way beyond the occasional requirement to sit or asking the dog to give up something he's decided is his. With consistent leadership rituals, practiced as a part of your daily life with your dog, he will know that everything in his world is really YOURS --- and you let him have things --- and you can just as easily take things away. Is this mean spirited? No. Is it intended to be? NO. In your dog's world SOMEONE is running things and if you aren't --- he is. It sounds like he sees himself in the position right below your husband --- but above all other humans. This will get worse if it's not managed. You've gotten some great advise here. Please take it all seriously.

The Humane Society has a webpage on NIFL http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html and anything written /produced by Cesar Millan offers likewise advise.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
I'm not an expert, but we have always had some very strong willed breeds. What I would do..is first of all, try not to let his excitement escalate. In other words, don't let him possess anything he might claim. Excitement, even playing, often goes to the next level quickly and with not much warning. I would leash him and make him be my best friend. You make the decisions and choices. He follows you...you go first. His survival depends on you. Anyway..that is what you want him to believe.

Feed him by hand for awhile. Make him sit and you feed him. There are many ways to take control back from him. Good walks help immensely.

Obedience classes of course will help. But you have to reclaim your space with or without classes. That will help to reinforce what he learns in class, but he will follow your lead.
@2BullyMama. @Sherry. @Davidh.. @Vicaroo1000.. @cali~jenn

I just want you to know that I love your advice..:2thumbs: Happily I dont' need it but it all makes sense should something like this shows itself in my two.

OP
amelson19933

amelson19933

Dec 28, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We've signed Tank up for obedience classes. Anyone know of treats that won't upset a sensitive bully's tummy? We've been training with his kibble but he's loosing interest and I don't blame him lol

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Dublin is allergic to so much and has a very sensitive stomach. I use any of the Zuke's Grain free treats. They do make a great size treat especially for "training" Kibble won't do it for her unless she is very, very hungry :nope: Tio on the other hand would just eat anything you gave him......:D

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Are you walking him? Remember: A tired dog is an obedient dog.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We've signed Tank up for obedience classes. Anyone know of treats that won't upset a sensitive bully's tummy? We've been training with his kibble but he's loosing interest and I don't blame him lol

There are a couple recipes..in home cooking for your bully..I believe. Cookies and such! Is he being better with the aggressiveness?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online