Help Needed! aggressive bully

Sep 20, 2012
Los Angeles, California, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BUDDHA JANAVARA (AWAKEN THE BEAST)
hey guys so i have a question .. my bully buddha has become really aggressive towards bigger dogs .he has a brother rocky who is a small terrior and hes perfectly fine with other little dogs but not with big dogs. it all started when i took my bulldog and my terrior mix to use the potty and a husky came up to our lawn and peed on the terrior.buddha went crazy and the next day ran out of our lawn and attacked the husky the good thing is that the husky is really friendly and would just kind of push him away and kind of try to get away from my crazy bully.. its gotten to the point where i can only take him into the small dog parks. he doesnt automatically attack the big dogs unless they growl or bark at him or his brother rocky (terrior) but its scary because for example today in the morning my sister took both him and our terrior out for a walk and i heard her scream my name so i automatically knew something was happening and yes in fact there was a pitbull who had gotten out of his yard about to attack my baby! and buddha was going crazy. and i cant just pick buddha up and leave because hes so heavy so im standing in between them scared to death until my sister took out her pepper spray and prayed him. idk how to make him get over his hate toward bigger dogs idk what to do hes my first bully and ive never heard them being aggressive. has anyone experienced this ? any tips that might help with this problem.

L

Lucy-licious

oh dear. I'm not good with aggression issues tbh, I will however tag a couple of members who may be able to help you with this.
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION], [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION]

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The only thing I can think of is I always try to put myself into their shoes. You described a situation when a larger dog probably scared the pants outta him so now you will need to work hard to overcome that. Perhaps some basic obedience classes with lots of different breeds, in a controlled environment would be a good thing. They say pets live in the "now" but I don't think they forget when bad or scary things happen to them. Since you have already identified the problem and the trigger you are already half way there.

I wish I had better advice as to what to do next but that is all I can think of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I don't deal directly with dog aggression per se but mine do get into fights (they're 2.5 and under right now - our old guys have passed). I have three dogs, two bullies and one pitty). It's my bully Wilson that's the issue 100% of the time. He has triggers that will set him off, generally excitement (doorbell, toys being thrown or just sometime coming over, food issues too with the others). My suggestion on top of obidiant classes is to walk him with another big dogs side-by-side if that's at all possible. That's exactely what I had to do for awhile and it did help. He is ever socialized with bigger dogs?

How old is he? This does need to be addressed immediately, especially if he's young, or you can end up having bigger issues later on.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I think [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] hit the nail on the head. You know the triggers and I do think his aggression is fear aggression.

Taking him to a type of class that is obedience based may make him realize that big dogs are not scary and are actually just part of the pack. Plan A.

UNfortunately your basic obedience classes are set up for your bob standard doggy. Be prepared that it may not work and start to research behaviorists as plan B.

i can not stress enough that he will pick up everything you feel. So everything you feel and portray in your body language will be immediately picked up by him.

OP
Brenda Janeth Solano
Sep 20, 2012
Los Angeles, California, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BUDDHA JANAVARA (AWAKEN THE BEAST)
hes 10 months going to be 11 months on the 14th. i know he socializes more with small dogs . and my neighbor has a 1 year old pitbull and hes fine with her they play around and they have never been aggressive towards each other . ive notice that it only triggers it if for example when we were at the dog park a new dog came into the play area that was not friendly and was growling at another dog and buddha from the other side of the park saw it ran into the fight. my mom says it seems like hes trying to be super man and solve the other dogs problems. like when the husky peed on his brother and he was furious and wanted to attack him.
this weekend i schedule a dog play date with my bfs pitbull and i know hes a gentle giant so im going to see how buddha gets along with him and hopefully get him used to big dogs. im wondering if maybe it has to do with the fact that hes not neutered ?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
hes 10 months going to be 11 months on the 14th. i know he socializes more with small dogs . and my neighbor has a 1 year old pitbull and hes fine with her they play around and they have never been aggressive towards each other . ive notice that it only triggers it if for example when we were at the dog park a new dog came into the play area that was not friendly and was growling at another dog and buddha from the other side of the park saw it ran into the fight. my mom says it seems like hes trying to be super man and solve the other dogs problems. like when the husky peed on his brother and he was furious and wanted to attack him.
this weekend i schedule a dog play date with my bfs pitbull and i know hes a gentle giant so im going to see how buddha gets along with him and hopefully get him used to big dogs. im wondering if maybe it has to do with the fact that hes not neutered ?

He is becoming a teenager and yes, once neutered it will essen, but may not full be gone. Tiggers are triggers and need to be addressed and then consistently monitored. Our girl, Banks is 7+ yrs old and is STILL monitored and in training, she is 'trigger happy' :D. You b/f's pittie or neighbor pittie are not going to be an issue becasue Buddha see's them as part of his pack and as long as they stay in ine (in his head) they are fine. Banks also does very will with small breeds as she does not see them as a threat or challenge, but her big trigger is long hair... she is not a fan of long hair dogs at all. Size of dog usually does not matter to her, she love Cane Corsos and Great Danes... but bring in a GSD, Husky, Golden Retriever and she becomes the 'dog park superhero' your Mom referred to... has to take them down.

Get a trainer to come to your home and evaluate the situation within an unknown pack of dogs... this will help you identify and become proactive to the triggers. It is all contrallable... just takes time to know what to look for.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Be careful when labeling a problem as "aggression". If your pup plays fine with other dogs, he's probably not "dog aggressive" and his outbursts may simply be fear issues with dogs he doesn't know. If you "know he's gonna freak out" when you meet a new dog, he surely will. In this scenario, the human is the trigger. When meeting other dogs, YOU control the meeting ---- and this takes practice and leadership from the human. Set up play periods / meetings with larger breed pups you DO know balanced dogs --- and control your pup during the meeting/play time. He's looking for leadership from you -- give it to him. Dogs are instinctual - not emotional and they "move on" from a bad experience a lot faster than humans!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.