Help Needed! Tearing up my couch!!!!

caseyh

Mar 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Boozer
Boozer has a doggy door and almost always goes outside to use the bathroom, so I want him to be able to roam the house freely when we are gone, but he digs in the couch and has tore up one of the cushions already. He doesnt do it when we are home so I never have a chance to correct the behavior.. does anyone have any suggestions???

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
It is probably not the answer you may want to hear but.....crate him. It is the best interest for him and you. Dogs automatically dig in their bedding or root it up to make it more "comfortable" for them. Bullies are curious about everything and the crate is more of a safe zone for his safety and your piece of mind. If he isn't being watched, crate him.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yes, crate him, it's the safest thing for him, especially since you have a doggie door. They will go outside and sun and can get too hot then will not come back in and can die of heat stroke. It can happen even if it's only 72 deg. F. out.

OP
C

caseyh

Mar 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Boozer
I work about 8 hours a day Mon- Fri, but usually come home for lunch.. I always crate him at night so he will sleep and not make a lot of noise, so should I crate him while I'm at work too? is that too much time in the crate?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I work about 8 hours a day Mon- Fri, but usually come home for lunch.. I always crate him at night so he will sleep and not make a lot of noise, so should I crate him while I'm at work too? is that too much time in the crate?

How about crating him during the day..and letting him sleep out when you are home! Tons and tons of bully's here are crated while their parents are away! And coming home for lunch is perfect. If you want, another possibility is to pen off an area that confines him..but gives more room than a crate. An X pen works great because you can adapt it to many places. Hopefully, he will outgrow it but my Jake still eats everything!

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
[MENTION=4544]caseyh[/MENTION]

61x5CfN7ydL__SX355_.jpg

We have this one for Bruin and Lilly.

You can't see it too well in the pic below, but its the same one as the pic above. Just search the net for Iris Exercise pen. They love it. It's just enough room to move around, but they can't get in trouble.

attachment.php

Marizan

Feb 20, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Mishka
In my country we just don't crate our dogs. I don't know why but u can't buy them even in our pet stores, you have 2 import them. So don't know about the crating issue. But with my baby Mishka with no crating, I just taught her from the day I got her, by correcting her and she got it pretty quick!! They are really smart and gets it quickly, just be firm and consistent. A firm touch on her side and a firm NO, calmly did the trick. She never tore up anything in our home. Good luck

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

Marizan

Feb 20, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Mishka
As for not being at home when he does it, keep a thick duvet on your couch always. Teach him he is only allowed on this couch. And when you're at home and u see him sniffing around the couch on top of it. Its good 2 correct then, its what they do before the start clawing and scraping and tearing!! This worked 4 me!! Good luck :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

TandVsMom

Jun 26, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus and Bubbers
I crate Max during the day if I am not home. I even crate him if I am home alone and need to take a shower (he won't go in the bathroom with me because he hates a bath). If I don't crate him, he eats...everything. And he tries to climb on things...and he's no good at that. I'm afraid he'll fall off and hurt himself.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.