URGENT!!! Please help!

lfavazza

May 22, 2012
Henderson, Nevada, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Izzie
2female eng bulldogs-1 is 1 1/2 years old & the other is 7 months old.. Also a 3 mo. male basset... The 2 bulldogs got along WONDERFULLY..... Until 2 days ago... The older (spayed) female started attacking the other younger intact female bulldog.. Totally unprovoked!-and continues to... She plays with the male puppy just fine... (We got the intact female spayed today-the non-aggressor) idk what happened overnight to make this happen.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.... Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 199

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
First of all Welcome to the Forum. I am not very versed in this sort of thing..but I will tag a few members that have more knowledge with this type of problem. Hang in there...take a deep breath.
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]... [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Hi and welcome to EBN! I also have two female bulldogs (1 English who is 9 years old and 1 French who is 5 years old) and a male 2 year old English. We just adopted the 9 year old about a month and a half ago. My frenchie has now attacked her 3 times since adopting my older EB. We try to avoid "triggers" for my frenchie, which are toys and food. Does your older bulldog attack the younger one when food or toys are around? I just try to look for patterns and make sure to avoid them! Also try to look for signs when she is about to attack, I now can tell when my frenchie has that look on her face and I immediately firmly tell her "NO" to get her attention and make sure she knows that I'm the boss! She hasn't attacked her in a over a week but has growled at her, but I stopped it right away. Also baby gates have been such a help. I baby gated one room and it allows them to be separated for a little while and have their own space, but they can still see and smell each other! I hope this helps a little, I'm sure some of the experts will be along shortly to help you more! :)

OP
L

lfavazza

May 22, 2012
Henderson, Nevada, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Izzie
Thank you so much! We are using a baby gate to keep them separated... It just totally baffles me as to what caused this!! :nope::nope: I'm going to look tomorrow about getting a trainer out to our house... Idk what else I can do... It was SO sudden.. I have to figure out how to post pics here-you could see they were inseparable... Thx again for your help...

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Because she is officially coming into maturity (bullies mature slower than other breeds)
she may be perceiving the 7 mo old as a threat for the attention of the male OR just now
becoming dominate and usually same sex fight more often than opposite sex PLUS he's
immature so she may pick fights w/him as he matures if dominance is her problem.

You must immediately establish yourself & family as the pack leaders NOT her. Firmly
disagree w/the behavior and as
@mcraven2
says...use baby gates to separate them for
now and do try to see her signals and step in BEFORE she escalates into fighting. Another
help is to keep her on a leash at all times so that you can immediately control her lunges
while disagreeing w/her behavior.

If you want to keep all of them then you must STOP this now before it gets established.

Bullies are willful, headstrong & sometimes obsessive about things, WHEN does this happen?
Do you crate them? Individually or together?

Others will have good ideas too but I think we need a bit more info to better help you.

It is solvable and hang in there!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank you so much! We are using a baby gate to keep them separated... It just totally baffles me as to what caused this!! :nope::nope: I'm going to look tomorrow about getting a trainer out to our house... Idk what else I can do... It was SO sudden.. I have to figure out how to post pics here-you could see they were inseparable... Thx again for your help...

I understand your surprise, it does seem to happen overnight. I had the exact thing happen
w/two female Chows. The older female doted on the younger one, they were so loving & close.
When the younger turned 1 y/o, the 2 y/o viciously attacked her, it got so bad, we found a loving
home for the older one. Chows can be obsessive too, it's almost impossible to break up a fight,
they will fight to the death, no small sqallbles for them!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Welcome to EBN!! I am no expert but if it just started out of nowhere it could just be a spat. Pups do have them, just like siblings and they can stay mad for a period as well. That being said it is up to you to not allow the behavior. I went thru a horrid phase with my Miila when we first got her and have since got her back on track but still every once in a while the pups will spat and I just have to bust the aggressor so they know it is not tolerated. Separate them and have her sit/stay on a rug or some spot that is obvious until you decide to allow her back into the pack. I always suggest hand feeding as well to ensure they KNOW that YOU are in fact the pack leader. Make her sit/stay before feedings (even having her eat last while watching the other 2 eat) and before each handful you give she must practice her tricks. Sit, lay down, shake etc. if she knows you r in charge she will be less likely to start after your other pup, or she will at least stop quickly when she does, knowing you don't allow it. You will get a ton of great advice, we have so much diff experience with this subject here. Hang in there! :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Also, you should take her to the vet to be looked over etc cuz if they r hurting or uncomfortable for some reason it makes fights much easier. Even something as simple as full anal glands can make them more on edge, something to consider. Cutty had a broken nail not too long back, not below the quick, right at the line. He was much more testy until it broke clean off and then was back to normal after.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] has given you some great advise. She is wanting to be the alpha, and it's up to you the establish yourself as the alpha. We have a 7 month old at home who is wanting to start fights with our 6 year old, so we are working on her now. Yesterday I had to "pin" the 7 month old down to get her to calm down and leave BeBe alone. It just takes time and patients on your part and be consistent. Learn the trigger signs and stop it before it starts. They will learn and they will all get along, but it's up to you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
All the above posts have great advice.... she is trying to rule the roost. Establish yourself - bring in a trainer will help you do so.

BEST OF LUCK.... please keep us posted.

Welcome to EBN... love the picture of the girls on the couch -- very sweet. Hard work, but you will get them back there

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Keep us posted. Let us know what the behaviorist said too. Dogs are instinctual so there's something that's triggering the aggressor ....now it's time to figure out what it is and get in front of it!

You've gotten some awesome advise here!

Most Reactions

Members online