General Question Training a bully vs training another breed, such as a lab or Poodle?

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Im just curious if any one has any advice on training a baby Bully. Is there a difference in styles that work better? I've never owned a bully breed before. I hear Bulldogs are more stubborn lol I have a Toy Poodle, and she was very easy to train.
Thank you :)

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
I have a Lab named Guinness we got him as a 10 week old puppy 5 yrs ago. He was amazingly easy to train. Potty trained in one week learned simple commands quickly. Never destroyed anything. We were told he was an exception to the rule for Labs being how calm and mellow he was as a puppy. He loves training and we are currently preparing him to become a therapy dog. :mansfriend:

Now our baby bully Fergus cutest thing in the world to me but oh my god... its like night and day in the training. Its not that he is stupid he is actually very smart but soooo stubborn :bulldog:. Luckily he is very food motivated so I use a lot of training treats. Still working on the potty training, has done great with the crate and sleeping thru the night, the walking on a leash :rolleyes: is a work in progress he sits mid walk and refuses to move so we go a little further down the street every day lol. If he really refuse to walk I usually pick him up its going to be interesting once he gets bigger. Hopefully he will learn to love going on walks soon. The teething is a nightmare they have mouthful of needles and he has a taste for human flesh. Fergus also every night has a spazz attack where he goes nuts for about 30 mins running around chasing an invisible monster and usually runs towards my legs and goes all Tasmanian devil on me :evil:.

But I wouldn't change a thing he makes me laugh so much more then my lab as a puppy. He is funny, loves to cuddle, give me the most amazing puppy kisses. I know he will be perfect once he grows out of the puppy stage. IMG_0244.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
There was a very smart person here ( :yoda: [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] ) that placed it in the best words possible about training a bully...... 'they are not stupid or dumb... they are thinking and deciding if they want to or will do what you are asking."

As with any breed, it depends on your patience, time, and willness to work with them. Most breeds are 'working breeds' which means they are loking for a job to please you, their master, Bulldogs , yeah, not so much... they are 60lb lap dogs that want to exert energy a few times a day for about 20 mins... then eat, sleep and :poo: .

If your pup is willing, and you are consistent, you can teach them anything.... try using treats and LOTS of them to coax them into wanting to please/listen to you.
There are a few members here that have their pups doing amazing things at a young age and it is all in your hands/frame of mind.

GOOD LUCK!

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Thanks guys. I'm just curious as to what to expect. I've read books, and breed web sites, but I don't feel as though I get the whole story until I talk to actual owners lol

pinkbully

Feb 20, 2013
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie Moo born 12/14/12
I feel with you on this one. I have a Minature Sheltie and she was pottied trained in a few days . Never pottied in her crate or chewed on anything .. Well our bully has been a hand full. Chewing on everything and peeing in her crate.. I told my husband that I wonder if diffence in breeds

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
It's easier for me to understand if compared to a breed I know lol
Kira, my Poodle, was litter box trained in less then a week, lead trained early, only problem I had was she was such a little Diva she refused to get wet or muddy, but I taught her how much fun mud and puddles can be lol

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well personally I found they rnt as eager to please but r food motivated. Lots of good snacks will get the job done i think. ;)

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
So make sure I have a good supply of nummies on hand lol
She looks pudgy, so Im guessing she enjoys her nummies, just like me haha

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So make sure I have a good supply of nummies on hand lol
She looks pudgy, so Im guessing she enjoys her nummies, just like me haha

exactly,,,

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
I'm ok with Eloise being a stuborn little bug, but I will still try to train her lol Maybe I'll get lucky and Kira (The toy {Poodle) will rub off on her a little bit lol
My sister was telling me that I have to realize that at some point I will more than likely become fed up with the stuborness, and want to pull my hair out, but in the end it's all worth it. I told her that I'm counting on her to be my suport lol
I'm sure I will probably post some vents here too. But I'm in this for the long haul lol

Marizan

Feb 20, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Mishka
Well my Mishka was potty trained day and night in only 4 weeks!! She is so smart but does follow her own mind, she beats 2 her own drum and that what I love so much about her. Find you're babies weakness! Food, attention or toys that's they key!! Make it worth their while LOL!! They're so worth the hard work!! Good luck and keep on going it will catch on!! ;)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
I'm reading up on dog training, and everything, but I do know EBs are different from other breeds.
Not gonna lie, I'm a little nervous lol

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I've never had any other dogs than bulldogs so I can't compare. But I know bulldogs are much smarter than most people think and that is why some don't even try to train them, bc "it's no use, cause they won't learn anyway". Bollocks, say I! They are smart, learn fast and by themselves too. Good habits and bad, it's up to you. They are stubborn and sometimes make decisions for themselves. You need to have a good connection with your bully and they will do what you wan't them to do. They can get offended too if they don't like your tone...got to love them:angelheart:

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=8156]PsychoPixie[/MENTION] - when I do training exercises with my bullies I try to make it fun for them and of course using treats is a great idea. go into training with an open mind and just don't expect too much too soon but bulldogs are really smart and they learn fast ... I've found teaching them a new command is the easy part, but I have also realized that they will analyze if using the new command in daily life will benefit them :lol: hence the stubborn side of them :p but having had many different dog breeds throughout my life bulldogs learn just as easy as other breeds if you don't go into it expecting too much too fast and comparing them to another dog you've trained because no two dogs are the same and they all learn differently.

Last edited:
OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
I didn't mean to imply that I didn't think they are smart. Looking back on what they were bred to do, you realize they had to be smart, or die. But they wernt bred to look constantly to their humans for advice, and that's where people usually get the idea that they are stupid lol
I was just wondering how to go about the training, see if their was any specific differences in training a English Bulldog. Better to know and be prepared lol Have a game plan so to speak lol But I'm not above changing up the game plan if it needs it lol
thank you everyone for sharing your tips and tricks. I hope I didn't offend any one.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.