Real Name
    Chas
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pickle
    Likes (Received)

Default Surprised, should I be?

I have had my pup for about a week (she is 11 weeks old) and I realized that she is very smart. She is my first EB and I was wondering if this is common in the breed?

I have been trying to litter box train her for about a week and she does a decent job but to my surprise she loves to go out in the back yard and she alerts me when she has to go. Could be the treats she gets when she comes back in? Since yesterday she started going in the backyard she has had only one accident inside and it was by the back door - Daddy was not paying attention and was busy in the other room. And she learned how to climb the stairs to get back in from the yard after I showed her once, however, she will not go down them yet.

I am pleasantly surprised by how quickly she picks things up, I'm not saying she is the smartest or that she is reading yet but as a pooch she makes me happy.....so far. Smart and squishy I should have gotten a EB a long time ago. Thanks to the EBN and all the members for such great advice to help me start her off in the right direction.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Sounds like its going great! EBs have a "rep" for not being smart. But it's because they actually make decisions instead of following commands 100% like other breeds.

For example, if you tell your bully to get off the couch, they look at you and you can tell in that moment they are choosing weather they want to or not. Usually they just look at you, them lay back into a comfy position. And say NOPE!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Surprised, should I be?

Yep, Lisa is spot on. Bullys are smart with an independent streak. They analyze everything to determine if it is to their advantage. This is great but has its drawbacks. As you have experienced, the intelligence definitely shines through. The drawback is that you will have to constantly find that motivator that would tip the scales in your favor for those things your dog is not too keen on doing. It's different for each bulldog. I found Bullie's weakness - sliced bread. She'll do anything for a piece. The difficult thing is to continue the desired behavior without having to keep sliced bread in my pocket.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fergus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by desertskybulldogs View Post
    Sounds like its going great! EBs have a "rep" for not being smart. But it's because they actually make decisions instead of following commands 100% like other breeds.

For example, if you tell your bully to get off the couch, they look at you and you can tell in that moment they are choosing weather they want to or not. Usually they just look at you, them lay back into a comfy position. And say NOPE!!!!

I totally agree. My other dog is a Labrador easiest dog to train he lived to please us . With Fergus he just looks at us and I can actually see him thinking about what we asked him to do and then actually decide not to do it he is a real bull headed bully pup with an attention span of a gnat . Luckily he is really food motivated so he is getting trained in spite of himself

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

They are actually pretty brilliant. Dozer had a basket of toys and I could tell him to go get a specific one like vo get your ball or go get mr squeeky and hes get it right every single time. Beware though as others have said there is a reason you won't see to many ebs with obedience titles.
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

They are amazing... and as desertskybulldogs stated... they make decisions and determine if they want to do what you are asking .... typical toddlers
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

That stubborn, independent streak keeps Bulldogs from scoring high on doggie IQ tests--and that's exactly how they want it! They don't give a rip about IQ scores!

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

They are really smart and it's funny watching them think about what you tell them and whether they are going to do it or not. But food usually wins out every time.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Doggie Boutique Owner porkysmamma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)

We potty trained with treats after about 2 weeks she picked up on the fact that when she pottied shed get treats soooooo she started squatting multiple times n then sitting at our feet "waiting" n when she didn't get anything she'd walk around n hunch up to fake a #2 n she'd even grunt n everything lol I took her to the vet thinking she had a uti nope just a smart little bully they r very intelligent but can be stubborn too

Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

Real Name
    Chas
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pickle
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by porkysmamma View Post
    We potty trained with treats after about 2 weeks she picked up on the fact that when she pottied shed get treats soooooo she started squatting multiple times n then sitting at our feet "waiting" n when she didn't get anything she'd walk around n hunch up to fake a #2 n she'd even grunt n everything lol I took her to the vet thinking she had a uti nope just a smart little bully they r very intelligent but can be stubborn too
    That's way to funny

Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

EB's are very smart! Getting them to act on their smarts is a totally different matter! They are very stubborn and will do what they want and I have learned because of this I always have to stay up on training and making sure im the alpha.

Real Name
    Shannon
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Leroy
    Likes (Received)

Yeah my Leroy is the same way! He chooses what he wants to do & he catches on very quickly. It took me a matter of minutes to teach him how to "shake" for me Yes I still need a motivator in my left hand (treat, kibble, etc...) but he follows my command every time. It's funny too b/c now every time I tell him to "sit" he lifts up his paw to shake to get a treat. Gotta love Bullies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads