General Question Surprised, should I be?

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
I have had my pup for about a week (she is 11 weeks old) and I realized that she is very smart. She is my first EB and I was wondering if this is common in the breed?

I have been trying to litter box train her for about a week and she does a decent job but to my surprise she loves to go out in the back yard and she alerts me when she has to go. Could be the treats she gets when she comes back in? Since yesterday she started going in the backyard she has had only one accident inside and it was by the back door - Daddy was not paying attention and was busy in the other room. And she learned how to climb the stairs to get back in from the yard after I showed her once, however, she will not go down them yet.

I am pleasantly surprised by how quickly she picks things up, I'm not saying she is the smartest or that she is reading yet but as a pooch she makes me happy.....so far. Smart and squishy I should have gotten a EB a long time ago. Thanks to the EBN and all the members for such great advice to help me start her off in the right direction.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like its going great! EBs have a "rep" for not being smart. But it's because they actually make decisions instead of following commands 100% like other breeds.

For example, if you tell your bully to get off the couch, they look at you and you can tell in that moment they are choosing weather they want to or not. Usually they just look at you, them lay back into a comfy position. And say NOPE!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Yep, Lisa is spot on. Bullys are smart with an independent streak. They analyze everything to determine if it is to their advantage. This is great but has its drawbacks. As you have experienced, the intelligence definitely shines through. The drawback is that you will have to constantly find that motivator that would tip the scales in your favor for those things your dog is not too keen on doing. It's different for each bulldog. I found Bullie's weakness - sliced bread. She'll do anything for a piece. The difficult thing is to continue the desired behavior without having to keep sliced bread in my pocket.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
Sounds like its going great! EBs have a "rep" for not being smart. But it's because they actually make decisions instead of following commands 100% like other breeds.

For example, if you tell your bully to get off the couch, they look at you and you can tell in that moment they are choosing weather they want to or not. Usually they just look at you, them lay back into a comfy position. And say NOPE!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

I totally agree. My other dog is a Labrador easiest dog to train he lived to please us :mansfriend:. With Fergus he just looks at us and I can actually see him thinking about what we asked him to do and then actually decide not to do it :bully: he is a real bull headed bully pup with an attention span of a gnat :p. Luckily he is really food motivated so he is getting trained in spite of himself :D

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
They are actually pretty brilliant. Dozer had a basket of toys and I could tell him to go get a specific one like vo get your ball or go get mr squeeky and hes get it right every single time. Beware though as others have said there is a reason you won't see to many ebs with obedience titles.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They are amazing... and as desertskybulldogs stated... they make decisions and determine if they want to do what you are asking .... typical toddlers

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
That stubborn, independent streak keeps Bulldogs from scoring high on doggie IQ tests--and that's exactly how they want it! They don't give a rip about IQ scores!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
They are really smart and it's funny watching them think about what you tell them and whether they are going to do it or not. But food usually wins out every time.

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
We potty trained with treats after about 2 weeks she picked up on the fact that when she pottied shed get treats soooooo she started squatting multiple times n then sitting at our feet "waiting" n when she didn't get anything she'd walk around n hunch up to fake a #2 n she'd even grunt n everything lol I took her to the vet thinking she had a uti nope just a smart little bully :) they r very intelligent but can be stubborn too :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
xsubsailor

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
We potty trained with treats after about 2 weeks she picked up on the fact that when she pottied shed get treats soooooo she started squatting multiple times n then sitting at our feet "waiting" n when she didn't get anything she'd walk around n hunch up to fake a #2 n she'd even grunt n everything lol I took her to the vet thinking she had a uti nope just a smart little bully :) they r very intelligent but can be stubborn too :)

That's way to funny

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
EB's are very smart! Getting them to act on their smarts is a totally different matter!:tongue: They are very stubborn and will do what they want and I have learned because of this I always have to stay up on training and making sure im the alpha.

sstewart2010

Dec 10, 2012
Garden City, Michigan, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Leroy
Yeah my Leroy is the same way! He chooses what he wants to do & he catches on very quickly. It took me a matter of minutes to teach him how to "shake" for me :) Yes I still need a motivator in my left hand (treat, kibble, etc...) but he follows my command every time. It's funny too b/c now every time I tell him to "sit" he lifts up his paw to shake to get a treat. Gotta love Bullies!

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Yeah my Leroy is the same way! He chooses what he wants to do & he catches on very quickly. It took me a matter of minutes to teach him how to "shake" for me :) Yes I still need a motivator in my left hand (treat, kibble, etc...) but he follows my command every time. It's funny too b/c now every time I tell him to "sit" he lifts up his paw to shake to get a treat. Gotta love Bullies!

Lmao same here n if she's being bad n I make her sit she waves at me like "hello mom I'm doing it give me a snack :p"

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
They are smart and wonderful. I am not surprised by what is going on. Bullies ARE smart. But the dog world for the most part seems to want dogs that instantly obey. You can see a Bully thinking and deciding if it is a good idea or in their best interests. I would much rather have a Bully than a dog that is blindly obedient. With an obedient dog that is bred to please it is a monologue. With a Bully it is a dialogue.

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack

So funny when its really cold outside sometimes mack fakes a #2 as well bc he thinks then he gets to go inside

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online