Help Needed! Spunky nipped at me

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Spunky was jumping on the couch (as usual) and I was telling her to get off (as usual). When this happened my foot was under her belly and I used it to help get her off, In which she growled loudly and harshly as she jumped back and nipped...she has ALWAYS had a problem of biting me (mostly play, other times are when I'll reach for her neck or she just gets "urges"). We got her at 9 weeks from a breeder we researched thoroughly so her past doesn't apply...

I'm so angry she did that...anyone else have this problem?

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I can't say I've ever had this problem. May a play bite here and there when they were teething but that's it. I have a zero tolerance rule for nipping or biting, it's NOT allowed period. I'm wondering though that since you helped Spunky with your foot to help her get off the couch if that possibly hurt her and it was her instinct that reacted?

How old is she now?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Since you say she's always done this to YOU, it may be she feels dominant
over YOU. Spunky may also be dominant by nature as many bullies are, is
she spayed and what is her age? Her nipping, biting, dominance, growling
ALL should not be allowed, period! Start with YOU being her pack leader,
hand feed her at meal times, make her sit or give paw and do not give food
until she complies. At the door, you enter or exit, 1st while she waits, no
allowing her with you on the couch or bed until she is submissive.

All this may seem harsh but really, all dogs want to know their place in 'the
pack' to be happy & content. An anxious dog will escalate in bad behavior
& can easily end with someone being badly bit and the dog put down. She
might not appear anxious at this time, if allowed to get away with this, can
become so. You'll be amazed by doing these things how different Spunky
& you will grow in love & bond & be so happy together! Best wishes! Carol

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Honestly, why is there any "as usual" things like this going on in the first place?

No more couch for Spunky for awhile. And no more hollering "Get down...Spunky! Get down! Get down! Blah blah!" I'm gonna guess that all that hollering just adds to Spunky's excitement with the "Let's get up on the couch game" he thinks you are playing. Getting up on the couch should be an earned position for Spunky. You are using your feet to move a dog. If I were a dog, I'd think you were playing too. Dogs use their mouths to communicate with each other.

Energy and body language is a much more efficient -- and clearly heard by the dog -- method of getting what you want from your pup.

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Let me clarify as I think this was misinterpreted.

I have been having issues with spunky being dominant since we got her, she immediately saw my husband as pack leader though has not been an easy road teaching her I am also. I'm the one that feeds her (though I'm going to try the hand feeding) walks her (ONLY by my side no running ahead) and I have her sit before entering/exiting doorways. She is NOT allowed on the furniture, though this is her one area she never gives up on. We do not kick her off when she jumps (though when she jumps and begins to bite me out of play it is painful and sometimes I need help getting her off). If you see my other posts its mostly about me conquering this dominance thing...so the painted picture of last night was not supposed to be an abuse picture nor a "Im allowed on the couch but mom won't let me this time" situation, she's never allowed though "as usual" she constantly jumps up. Maybe that's another issue.

Thank you for the advise I'm going to try hand feeding though I've been consistently trying the other things mentioned.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Wow! It sounds like you've got this dominance thing under control [MENTION=4212]Spunkysmom2012[/MENTION] ! Being the pack leader doesn't come naturally for most and it sounds like Spunky has her own ideas about who's running things -- at least when it comes to that couch. LOL I never thought you "kicked" her off -- truly -- I just know what happens when I'm playing footsie / bulldog maw with Bo --- he interprets it as play and bites back -- or rather mouths back. He never hurts or intends to hurt. Maybe that hand feeding with take your leadership with Spunky to the next level? Maybe -- for her -- this couch thing is such a fun game that she doesn't want to give it up? Maybe you can find another game that she enjoys as much but where you are clearly in control? I don't know what that would be...just thinking out loud.....?

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
A trick my puppy school teacher suggested worked for us - I had a similar experience once and was none too pleased. It only took a couple of days but we needed it to break the couch habit and it helped to establish my dominance as the #2 in the house.

When I got home from work, and Bacon was under my supervision, I would put a collar and a leader on him (basically an old lease that had been cut to half length). Everytime Bacon would jump on the couch, a firm but gentle no, and use the leader to guide him off. Took a few times, but he got the hint and he responded much better to the leash than my hand. After a little bit I didn't need it on him anymore.

Most Reactions