General Question Harness and training to walk on a leash

bcarro45

Jan 15, 2013
Pasadena,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaux
I see everyone talk about pulling or yanking when walking, well what about the dog doing nothing? I tried a collar and hada little luck until he passed out asleep after about a minute. Bought a kong collar and he just stands there and does nothing, he is 4 months old also.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I had great success with an easy walk harness. Duchess was super observant at that age and really didn't wanna walk. my trainer said to bribe her with treats but don't be forceful and make the walk fun! It was super hard as I live in a heavily populated metropolitan area so we would get stopped every two seconds for pictures.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Oh I forgot since the leash clips on to the easy walk harness in the front and not on the back I actually tied a smelly treat to the leash so duchess could see it and smell it
but
not reach it. It was like the ccarrot in front of the donkey, super funny but it worked!

OP
bcarro45

bcarro45

Jan 15, 2013
Pasadena,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaux
I had great success with an easy walk harness. Duchess was super observant at that age and really didn't wanna walk. my trainer said to bribe her with treats but don't be forceful and make the walk fun! It was super hard as I live in a heavily populated metropolitan area so we would get stopped every two seconds for pictures.

My pup is 4 mths and between 15-20 lbs but the small easy walk harness didnt even fit him. I bought a kong harness and didnt realize that the loop for the leash is in the back, kinda hard to walk when its in the back and he just stands there.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I had a regular nylon collar, which he outgrew, and now have the Kong harness collar. Just tempted him along with a treat and when Ace is walking I just keep him going and when he wants to balk abit I tempt him with another treat. I let him explore some as long as he is moving and walk where he wants to, then redirect and we go where I want to and alternate. Just want to get him accustomed to walking on leash. I have a very large yard outside of a smaller fenced in area. I take him outside the fenced in area to walk on leash and once outside the fenced in area he is more eager to walk on leash whether he is exploring or I am leading

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
My pup is 4 mths and between 15-20 lbs but the small easy walk harness didnt even fit him. I bought a kong harness and didnt realize that the loop for the leash is in the back, kinda hard to walk when its in the back and he just stands there.

My pup is 18 lbs and wears a med easy walk harness with plenty of room to grow.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.