Help Needed! Shouldn't my 9 month old puppy be potty trained?

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
My 9.5 month old puppy, Seamus, still has accidents in the apartment. I don't know if it is because he isn't "potty trained" or if he is just having behavioral issues. My husband is leaning toward behavioral issues and not the fact that he isn't potty trained. We have taught him how to use the bells at the front door to let us know when he wants to go out and he uses them pretty regularly.

Today I took him out in the morning at 6:30am then again at 9:30am, 1:30pm and around 4:45pm I noticed he was on our bed and then I noticed that he had peed on the bed. He never went to the bells once. If he is 9 months old then theoretically he should be able to hold it for 9 hours right? I know he had a bunch of water today because he was in the sun but he did not indicate he wanted to go out once.

Do you think I need to re-start potty training all over? Is this a dominance issue? Should I do some sort of behavioral thing? Or do you think its a health issue like a UTI or something? He doesn't seem to have to go excessively so I didn't think it would be a UTI.

Thanks for your help!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He should be potty trained already. Our 7 month old is potty trained already but will have an accident every once in awhile. Peeing on the bed is marking. I'd keep him off the bed. They do like to mark their bedding too.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with the above advice from David, I would keep him off the bed until he learns he can't pee there.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
It seems lots of male bully's might do this around this age. Not sure why, but keeping him off the bed and starting with basic's again will reassure him to do the right thing

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
David is right on. Bob just turned a year old and he used to mark the bed as his . I got a waterproof mattress cover and he stopped. Go figure...

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
With the proper house training they should never pee or poop in the house again, ever, after the age of 12 weeks old.
:)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This is pretty common actually for pups in that age. I am not sure if they are testing boundaries or if it has to do with their hormones going crazy. But every pup I have ever had went through about a month phase of this at around 7-10 months old.

Theoretically holding for 9 hours (unless at nighttime) is too much when they are active and drinking a lot of water during the day.

Go back to basics, let him out more often and remember even negative attention is attention, best ignore and scold the mess itself and not the pup.

Don't worry, it shall get better!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.