Help Needed! Pooping on the floor.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I just dont see it as an accident if she refuses to go outside. She is 4 years old and she knows where and where not to go. She only does this when she is left alone downstairs (she never learned to climb stairs) and I dont feel like carrying her up the stairs. Its out of rebellion.

She may be doing it b/c she is scared. She may not like being alone downstairs when she knows the humans arent with her! Just my opinion dont have much advice on this!

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Maybe she's pissed, literally.

Bulldogs are angels in fur coats

DivisionByZero

Jan 20, 2013
Midwest, USA
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Diva
scared to be alone? could be, but i dont know. she usually sleeps when she's alone. I have tried everything to get her to get over her fear of climbing the stairs and I cant pick her up all the time. she's so heavy.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
scared to be alone? could be, but i dont know. she usually sleeps when she's alone. I have tried everything to get her to get over her fear of climbing the stairs and I cant pick her up all the time. she's so heavy.

So..do you think she is afraid of the stairs? That's not uncommon for many dogs. I don't think its out of rebellion. What is she rebelling against? Do you yell at her or smack her in order to get her outside? Or because she won't go? Sometimes the trigger can be sooo subtle it's not easy to figure out. But you would have to seriously think of what changed or happened when her behavior changed. If I had to guess...Since she ONLY does this when left alone downstairs...It sure sounds like she is trying to get your attention. And if she has a fear of going up AND down those steps...she can't be with you. Good Luck..I hope you can help her over this..

Jan 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno & Gidget
Rest assured, our Bruno did exactly this when we got Gidget. She had a few accidents inside the house, as puppies do. Then sure enough, I see a big poop in roughly the same area. I knew this was Bru's poop as the diameter was large (ha!). I put it down to testing the boundaries too. He obviously thought, if she can do it, I'm doing it too! All you can do is be patient, clean it up and as the new puppy has less accidents, this won't happen anymore. Goodluck.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola is doing it because she is upset about the puppy. I am really upset! I have kept her off the couch and she still does it I have just about given up! In her mind something has to change or I think she will keep doing it so hopefully things calm down and she gets used to the puppy and she quits this crap!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I just dont see it as an accident if she refuses to go outside. She is 4 years old and she knows where and where not to go. She only does this when she is left alone downstairs (she never learned to climb stairs) and I dont feel like carrying her up the stairs. Its out of rebellion.

Our 4 year old bulldog has started doing this very same thing! Suddenly, she refuses to go outside anymore. When she does this, she gets her @$$ whipped and put in the crate for a couple hours. This sort of works but not really :(

Please do tell me you are not serious? she can totally be afraid of something that is causing her to not climb the stairs or she could have an issue which causes pain when she does. "hitting an animal teaches them nothing but more fear and crating for hours also does nothing as dogs have no concept of time'.... you may be adding to her issues by not addressing what could be going on.

Have you tried to coax her up the stairs with treats and positive reinforcement?

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
If its only just happened since you got your puppy or around that time I would say it attention. Our bully's are very demanding and can be attention seekers.
Bring a ( 3rd party ) into your home and sharing your bully's time / attention could cause you baby to do this.
Hopefully after a few weeks she'll calm down.

Hang in there

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I think sharing the attention is part of it so I have been trying to love on her more even though Im mad because I do love her and want her to be happy just wish she would quit going potty all over so I hope with time things get better.

DivisionByZero

Jan 20, 2013
Midwest, USA
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Diva
the stairs are kind of steep and the steps aren't too deep. i've tried treats and even steak. she gets up to a couple and then gives up. I think its becuase she's topheavy.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
the stairs are kind of steep and the steps aren't too deep. i've tried treats and even steak. she gets up to a couple and then gives up. I think its becuase she's topheavy.
im kinda confused as to why she is downstairs is that where you keep her when your not at home? you say she doesnt climb stairs so where does she go potty when your not home and she is down there? does she have a pee pad or something.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well it would certainly seem to be connected to the puppy for sure. im thinking take her out with the puppy and let her see the puppy go then maybe she will to. im thinking she is marking her territory kinda like a male dog does with urine. im thinking she will quite when the puppy gets a big bigger and stop doing it to. hang in there dear. i guess you will have to watch her alot closer and perhaps crate her when your not at home.

DivisionByZero

Jan 20, 2013
Midwest, USA
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Diva
im kinda confused as to why she is downstairs is that where you keep her when your not at home? you say she doesnt climb stairs so where does she go potty when your not home and she is down there? does she have a pee pad or something.
someone's almost always here, except for maybe a few hours a week. sometimes she's upstairs with us when we're upstairs, but she can't be with us 24/7

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
someone's almost always here, except for maybe a few hours a week. sometimes she's upstairs with us when we're upstairs, but she can't be with us 24/7
ok but how is she supposed to let you know she has to go from down there? just trying to understand the situation is all. perhaps if she had a pee pad. i keep 2 for sarah when we are gone so she has a place to go then if she didnt want to go out she could still go. i have also heard of other bullies suddenly not wanting to go outside so perhaps can someone help you carry her up the stairs to take her out? maybe once she is outside on a regular basis she will be ok with it. im also wondering if this is not an attention issue. bullies dont like to be alone especially if they know someone is home also. just throwing stuff out there.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.