Help Needed! My Buster tried to bite me and my daughter!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Thank you all for your love and support! I told my hubby that we need to step back and try again with Buster. It has only been a little bit since he came to live with us and I can not give up on any animal!!! ;)

While hugging is a delightful thing for us humans, dogs feel differently about it. The snap was a reaction to a stimulus - the hugging / being in Buster's face - which may have felt like being "trapped" to him. Hugging a dog doesn't do a thing for the dog really - it's for the human. Your family should resist this temptation with Buster until genuine trust has been established (his trusting his human pack leaders) and that takes time. He'd probably appreciate a scratch under the chin far better anyway!

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
I'm sorry you're going through this and I'll hope and pray for the best outcome. Have you made sure to check for any ear infections or tooth abscesses? That can always lead to some aggression if they are in pain. Heck, I have a dentist appt on Sat cuz I have a toothache and even I wanna bite everyone at work right now!! Please keep us updated so we can be rest assured and maybe have some new "tools" in our bully kits for future reference.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great advice ahs been given by jakeisgreat and vicaroo1000 .... good luck and keep us posted

Lulu belle

Jan 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
So glad to hear your not giving up, be calm & patient, he'll come along.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Some great advice. From my experience with rescue give them time and build trust; depending on how he was treated it may take months before he is secure enough for someone to hug or kiss him. I have had some that were great dogs but were never able to hug or kiss them. The best I could get with them was patting them on the head and telling them good dog. It takes time, consistancy, and patience. With some you are able to take their lead and all of a sudden they will come up to you and give you kisses but it doesn't happen all the time. In the mean time explain to your daughter there may be a reason for his behavior and keep the face away for him. Work slowly, no sudden of fast movements, things will get better with time. He probably didn't get that way overnight and it will take time for him to heal from the past. Good luck.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Please keep us updated on his progression.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.