Help Needed! My Buster tried to bite me and my daughter!

Sandi Sheldon

Jan 3, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
My daughter has had a couple of episodes where she was loving on Buster and he snapped and tried to bite her. Today Buster was sitting at my feet and I proceeded to give him kisses on top of his head and before I knew it he turned, barked and tried to bite my face. My husband thinks something should be done but it breaks my heart.

Side Note: We think Buster came from a abusive home and have only had him for two or so months.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
How old is Buster? Plus is it aggression or play biting?

OP
Sandi Sheldon

Sandi Sheldon

Jan 3, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
We were told that Buster is 3 years old. How do I tell what type it was?

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I'm not sure if this is any consolation but bulldogs can be very mouthy, especially when they haven't been trained out of it. Remi recently was playing all nice and then all of a sudden WHAM! He jumped up and head butted me with his mouth open and cut my eyebrow with a tooth. It can seem very discouraging because it's almost impossible to trust and relax, but there is a definite difference between play and aggression. Here are some signs that might help: http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-articles/canine-body-language

Good luck!! we're here.

OP
Sandi Sheldon

Sandi Sheldon

Jan 3, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
My husband swears it was aggression because Buster hardly ever plays. We have tried to get him excited and play with us and our other dog but he doesn't. Hubby says he was watching him and that Buster was giving me a warning that he didn't like what I was doing.

The other incidents with my daughter was when she was trying to hug him, pat him and kiss him.....

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well my two cents is that you must never use excitement as a lead in to play. Especially with a rescue that you don't know much about. You must be calm,slow and deliberate with all interaction with him. He is surely frightened and insecure. If an adult dog hasn't been properly socialized, they aren't going to know how to respond to you or other animals. He needs quiet and a slow introduction to everything. This is not his fault and I doubt it's an act of aggression. I bet it's insecurity and feeling lost. If you intend to make him a part of your family..and there is no reason not to.. You need to learn how to love him and not fear him. You can do it.. I've been in situations where my hubby brought home many a full grown dog off the streets. They will love you with fierce loyalty but nothing comes naturally. They will learn from your actions and reactions. For instance.. Why do you think he knew you were kissing his head and not a threat? Does he know what a child is? He probably doesn't even know how to play..let alone that its fun. I hope you don't give up on him. He deserves a loving home.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh I'm so sorry, you're going through this. I haven't any experience with this so not exactly sure what the best answer is, but maybe someone on here has dealt with biting and can offer some advice. Maybe because he's been abused by his former owners, he has to learn to trust again, maybe some obedience training would help. I hope you find a way to stop his behaviour. Sending hugs and prayers your way that you find a solution. Good luck, and keep us posted.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Just send him to my house :) actually he may not enjoy having someone in his face the issues you mention are when you kiss him or when youre daughter hugs him. Respect his space for a while. Also make sure he isn't physically in pain.

OP
Sandi Sheldon

Sandi Sheldon

Jan 3, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster
Thank you all for your love and support! I told my hubby that we need to step back and try again with Buster. It has only been a little bit since he came to live with us and I can not give up on any animal!!! ;)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] gave you some great advise. I didn't realize he was that old. Take it slow with him and tell your daughter to not hug him or put her face close to his, as he doesn't know how to react to this. Sounds like he has had a rough life and doesn't know how to play or act. Just take it slow with him and stay calm. After awhile he will learn and start to trust you.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Something as simple as an underlying ear infection, or an issue with his vision so that a hug or kiss on the head or any sudden movement startles him could cause such a reaction.
Make sure as said before that there isn't a medical condition causing something. Then change how you approach him, so he's not startled. Like [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] said, it can take a bit, but he needs to get to know you and know you are not going to hurt him, and you need to get to know what might trigger these behaviors after ruling out any medical cause.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I think its just going to take some time. Have you thought about taking him to training? Even if he is well behaved it builds a trust between you and him and maybe that will help him learn that you are ok. IN the mean time I would watch like a hawk and tell your daughter to stay out of his face tell he settles in.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Well my two cents is that you must never use excitement as a lead in to play. Especially with a rescue that you don't know much about. You must be calm,slow and deliberate with all interaction with him. He is surely frightened and insecure. If an adult dog hasn't been properly socialized, they aren't going to know how to respond to you or other animals. He needs quiet and a slow introduction to everything. This is not his fault and I doubt it's an act of aggression. I bet it's insecurity and feeling lost. If you intend to make him a part of your family..and there is no reason not to.. You need to learn how to love him and not fear him. You can do it.. I've been in situations where my hubby brought home many a full grown dog off the streets. They will love you with fierce loyalty but nothing comes naturally. They will learn from your actions and reactions. For instance.. Why do you think he knew you were kissing his head and not a threat? Does he know what a child is? He probably doesn't even know how to play..let alone that its fun. I hope you don't give up on him. He deserves a loving home.

I'm behind this advise 100% a rescue that doesn't know how to play isn't trusting you yet. please give him time and keep things quiet and clam for him and your sake, he is fearful. Allow him to come to you, try not to approach him just yet, let him watch you until he gains trust in you. I could take months and months,

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I'm behind this advise 100% a rescue that doesn't know how to play isn't trusting you yet. please give him time and keep things quiet and clam for him and your sake, he is fearful. Allow him to come to you, try not to approach him just yet, let him watch you until he gains trust in you. I could take months and months,

But please believe me when I say it will be so worth it in the end. Btw where did you get him? If it was from a rescue don't be afraid to call his foster family and ask what they think.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] is completely correct so please be extra considerate and patient with him. Also, maybe he's not the cuddly type...Nigel is not as cuddly as I am and he tolerates me cuddling him a lot. Today in fact, I think I over-did it because he snapped at my face too. I immediately correct him and tell him 'no biting mommy' and I back off of him. I know it's not aggression it's just me smothering him and him not being in the mood. He may have been sleepy (it was naptime) or maybe he's hungry? I know Nigel has snapped at my face as a way to tell me he's hungry.

I always get scared when I see these kind of posts - please do not jump to the 'aggression' conclusion. So many other things should be considered first.

Good Luck with your baby!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.