Help Needed! Barking

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lilly has lymphoma, so now I just let her bark for a little then tell her to hush, because she only has a few months left - let her enjoy it while she can.:shout:

OH no, so sorry she is sick. Hugs to you and her and hope for her to have the best in her time with you.

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
I would try the VIBRATION First, basically you just want to "snap them out of it" by getting their attention. You will have to be dilligent about it though. Blocking the view could at least stop a lot of the barking, ie a solid fence or a good thick hedge so they can't see people walking in the cemetary.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] - Do they even make "shock" collars? I hope not. The only reason to use one is to snap them out of the destructive behavior so they can be redirected. Using a training collar requires precise and consistent use. If I were going that route, I'd want to have some help from a professional so I could maximize the benefits. There was a great episode of Dog Whisperer once where Cesar used a training collar to keep a farm dog -- Australian Shepard? - from biting at the tires of all the trucks, tractors and other equipment on the farm. He'd been run over a dozen times -- almost losing his life and still bit at the tires! Cesar didn't use the collar to redirect WHEN the dog bit the tire but rather, when he saw the dog's INTENT to bite the tire.

I feed wild birds. I have one of those clear, acrylic tray bird feeders that adhere to my large front windows with big suction cups. There's a suet cake out there too that's also affixed to the same window. I "trained" Bea to bark at the European Starlings that take over the feeders and ruin it for the little songbirds that I do want to feed. Yeah. Trained. Pffffttt. Problem? Any and ALL large birds that now land on the feeders gets barked at -- including my very favorite visitors; the Northern Flickers and the various types of Woodpeckers that don't visit very often! I guess I forgot to tell Bea about the difference in bird species, right?
Bwhahahahahaha!

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I don't know if I could ever do a shock collar on him but the vibration one sounds like a possibility.

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
Oh my GOODNESS! I don't think the bullies would bark as much at stupid stuff if the ding Boxers did bark at every little thing :banghead:

But let me say they get on a roll. Especially when BF pulls out one of his dang show cars that rattle the whole house.

Colonal barks a lot!! Lol but I GLADLY take barking over ADHD freakout. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] - how's it going? Have you tried "claiming" the area behind your house yet? Maybe that will at least stop the ongoing barking after you acknowledge and claim the "offender" back there?

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Shock collars ooie lol I just wanted to throw out that i once used one as part of a drinking game good times good times but it didn't help my barking either or my obnoxious giggling :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
Shock collars ooie lol I just wanted to throw out that i once used one as part of a drinking game good times good times but it didn't help my barking either or my obnoxious giggling :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:lol: :slappingground: :beer:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
We have a "barker" too... our Boeboe barks at every single thing that moves or makes noise:ashamed: Luckily our neighbors dogs also barks a lot so they can't really complain:)

I've heard that if your dog barks at specific things you have to claim the thing or space to show your dog you have it under control... I don't know if this works cos I've never had the patience to try it out myself cos we've moved so many times these past 3 years so there are always new interesting things to bark at:crazy: but our dog trainer practiced it once to show us and at that single moment it did work...

Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be:)

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
I would try the VIBRATION First, basically you just want to "snap them out of it" by getting their attention. You will have to be dilligent about it though. Blocking the view could at least stop a lot of the barking, ie a solid fence or a good thick hedge so they can't see people walking in the cemetary.

This is what I was going to suggest. The biggest problem seems to be movement behind the house in the cemetary, so block that line of sight. I have no idea what to recommend about the noises. Winston will bark outside, but it isn't loud or constant. I get one or two barks, then he just stands there at attention and occasionally a little growl comes out. It's hilarious though, because if the object of his attention comes closer, he runs behind me to hide.

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
@Vicaroo1000 I'm not sure what you mean by claim? How do I claim people behind the house?

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] - how to describe? Well, I can tell you how I claim the "Rottie Fence" at our little off leash area in my complex. When Bea and Bo hear the Rotties -- on the other side of the TALL THICK fence (they can't see them), they'll bee line for that corner and start what I can fence fighting. Hackles up, barking at the fence, acting like little jerks. They LOVE to fence fight and I hate it. It's noisy and it's not very neighborly! LOL
You are claiming the back area and everyone and anything in it. You want them to bark to "notify" but after that, you got it. It's YOURS to manage.

I get between Bea and Bo and the fence.
I disagree with the behavior - I say "Ack" -- my version of Cesar's Tsst.
I stand there, up straight, shoulders back, head high using calm and assertive energy, in my mind THIS FENCE IS MINE AND NO ONE CAN TOUCH IT.
I keep "owning" the fence and disagreeing (Ack!) with any moves toward the fence and I (most important part ever!!) FOLLOW THROUGH.
Just getting them to physically "give up" the fence to me is part one. Part two is when they truly GIVE UP the fence in their dog brains. I imagine they are saying something like, "She's the leader. It's her fence. Let's go do something else." You can see it in their energy / body language when you have successfully followed through and they have "let go".

Try this with something that holds less significance with them. Practice. When they were puppies, while reading every Cesar Millan book on the shelves, I practiced this with toy possession. The toys are MINE -- I LET THEM play with them, is how I feel about it in my mind. That's my mental picture. Now it's their mental picture through energy / body language --- their language! Does that make sense? Likewise, the gate leaving the dog area is also mine. They cannot pass thru it without my authorization. The porch is the same way and one can leave the front deck without getting an OK from me (that's a safety issue).

I know this stuff may sound kookoo for cocoapuffs to some folks. And just maybe I'm a mental case for even buying 1000% into this Cesar Millan stuff but what can I say? I CAN TELL YOU WITHOUT FAIL THAT IT WORKS. And because my relationship with my dogs is evolving and their continued trust in their pack leader is deepening, our relationship -- collectively speaking --- can only improve. It's exciting to me.

I hope that helps. I need to tell you the story about the neighborhood Chupacabra; a tiny, brown, mean little Chihuahua who bit everyone, refused to be cooperative and had NEVER walked on a leash -- until he met me! Energy and body language ruled the afternoon that day!

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
I think the starting from puppies thing is a little late for Otis but I can definitely give the rest a try. Otis IS the problem. I've found if I let the girls out first they are quiet as church mouses. It's only when ut-oh starts losing his mind that the rest follow.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
That is too cute ! ! I know, Lilly will start barking and then look at me to see if I'm going to "get the collar". . . I tried the ones that emit a sound, but she just looked at it and kept on barking. . .

Lilly has lymphoma, so now I just let her bark for a little then tell her to hush, because she only has a few months left - let her enjoy it while she can.:shout:
aw im sorry to hear this but yea i think i would be the same. let her enjoy the time she has left. :yes:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online