Help Needed! Barking

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Let me preface this by saying that I am NOT being cruel.. I'm just at the end of my rope and don't know what else to do :ashamed:

Otis and Athena bark at EVERYTHING outside! It's like when they get outside they lose their minds. When I let them outside they bark at the neighbors, they bark at the geese in the cemetery behind me, they bark at people in the cemetery. Well, last week the neighbors finally complained.

I've tried teaching them the quiet command. I've tried positive encouragement. I've tried talking to them and explaining how disrespectful they are (yeah... I know, I told you I'm desperate). I bought one of those sonic eggs that emits a sound when they bark. Athena doesn't seem to hear it at all and I think it makes Otis bark even more.

So then I bought 2 of those citronella spray collars. The first time it sprayed my O he screamed like his foot was caught in a bear trap. :*(

I can't seem to get this outside barking under control and I don't know what to do.

L

Lucy-licious

I feel your pain. Lucy is a barker too :( the only way I manage it is to shake her treat jar and call her in, she shuts up immediately and runs in for her treat.
I know it's probably the wrong way to go about it but it works for us :2thumbs:

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I dont have that problem outside, but I do inside - if I'm not playing with him every single second of the day - it's on like donky kong - bark, whine etc....drives me nuts and no idea how to cure it. I say, "no barking" so he looks at me and barks more as if he's talking back. Then he may stop barking and instead I get the whine....
He's too much of a scardy cat to bark outside, usually if he wants to bark it's an under his breath bark, which is pretty funny.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I really feel for you, Twice and I can imagine how frustrated you must be. Bea and Bo are both barkers. Our neighborhood is SO FLIPPIN QUIET that any noise out of the ordinary can get em going. That citronella thing must have scared the crap out of Otis!

Who starts the bark-fest; generally speaking? If you can modify that one's behavior, the other will follow suit. Bo can get Bea going and he's most always the instigator. For this reason, I never leave them out in the yard for an extended period of time where I'm not around to disagree with the barking for no reason. Barking for a reason -- strange car, strange noise, UFO touching down in the backyard in the form of a plastic grocery bag -- that's all allowed until I "see" the issue and say, "Got it". (Like "OK. I got this. No need to worry." is the kind of energy I'm projecting) The good news is that I can correct no reason barking from the other side of the house with a "HEY" but I've been iron clad consistent since they were puppies. You have a completely different situation with two rescues.

I am interested to see what others say. Cesar Millan has five tips to stop nuisance barking on his website and I can share a recent experience with regard to this suggestion:
#3 - Stake your claim to stop the barking.

Is your dog barking over and over again at the same object, person, situation, or place? Then you need to step up and claim that stimulus as your own. Use your body, your mind, and your calm-assertive energy to create an invisible wall that your dog is not allowed to cross. Do it with 100% dedication and focus, and the results may surprise you.

Read more: http://www.cesarsway.com/tips/problembehaviors/5-tips-for-handling-nuisance-barking#ixzz2KbSAbYV0

At our complex's off leash area, there back fence shares a yard with a fellow who has two giant Rottweilers. When those dogs are out, Bea is the first to BEE LINE over there and start what I call "fence fighting". It's not allowed. To stop it, I "claim" the fence. Again, it's that "I'm the leader and I got this. Move along." energy that I am projecting. It really works.

You can't claim your entire neighborhood though, right? LOL Maybe you can at least modify the length of the barking episode in this way? The good news is that once you have the instigator under some control, the other one will follow!

I am so interested to see what others have done!

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names

Is your dog barking over and over again at the same object, person, situation, or place? Then you need to step up and claim that stimulus as your own. Use your body, your mind, and your calm-assertive energy to create an invisible wall that your dog is not allowed to cross. Do it with 100% dedication and focus, and the results may surprise you.

I want to say it starts with Otis because this was going on long before Athena got here. But as a Great Dane, her bark is SO much louder than anyone else's so it seems worse.

My yard backs into one of those no stone cemetery's. Aside from the occasional flag sticking out of the ground, it looks like a park back there. That is where most of the problems come from. Funerals. Groundskeepers. People paying their respects. Geese seem to congregate back there. Oh, then there are the rude people who think it's ok to walk their dogs in the cemetery! It's always different people at different times of day. I don't let them out at all if there is a funeral going on out of respect for the families but I can't be on watch for visitors all day long. A couple of houses down, those people think it's fun to throw recyclables into the can from 5 feet away. One can at a time! All the dogs hear is a noise but they can't see where its coming from. I'd bark too! I can try that claiming method with the neighbors on either side of me but what to do about what's going on behind me?

It's a tough spot to be in. On one hand I want them to alert me when strangers are near the house. But I'm starting to worry about noise complaints and police knocking on my door. I can't get myself to put that collar back on my O. I think he was traumatized by the experience :(

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Ruggles barks for attention, pet him and he is quiet. That said it is so annoying when we are on a walk and I stop to talk with someone Ruggles is quiet for 30 seconds then starts non stop barking until he gets some attention. When we have company at home he gets put in time out a lot! People have told me the only thing that will work is a shock collar. I haven't tried that!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am 7 years in with Banks on this one.... still can not get her to stop. Done EVERYTHING... treat/positive reinforcement, ignoring, bark collar, spray bottle, submission, etc, etc, etc. She still barks at EVERYTHING

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
My bullies are fine. It's the eldest of our 2 miniature schnauzers that drives us crazy. She will bark at anything and everything. Now we've moved further out and more country, we both hoped it would stop or lessen. NOPE!! Apparently leaves moving are enough to set her off. Of course once she starts everybody has to join in. Drives me crazy!!!!!!!!

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
My corgi is a barker and I finally had to get a shock collar. It took 2 times, but now when I want her to be quiet - all I have to say is "Do you want me to get the collar?" She knows exactly which collar I mean. Punk on the other hand - all I have to say to her is Hush. Wishing you the best with your problem.

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
My corgi is a barker and I finally had to get a shock collar. It took 2 times, but now when I want her to be quiet - all I have to say is "Do you want me to get the collar?" She knows exactly which collar I mean. Punk on the other hand - all I have to say to her is Hush. Wishing you the best with your problem.

shock collar or the vibration one?

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Shock collar.

Of course, I forget to turn it off and have to keep getting a new battery. I do this in case she tries it again.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

We did this too... it worked for everything with her except the barking -- we would vibrate/shock and she would then bark AT the vibration :faint:

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
That is too cute ! ! I know, Lilly will start barking and then look at me to see if I'm going to "get the collar". . . I tried the ones that emit a sound, but she just looked at it and kept on barking. . .

Lilly has lymphoma, so now I just let her bark for a little then tell her to hush, because she only has a few months left - let her enjoy it while she can.:shout:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online