Peeing in the bed?

MaynardJames

Oct 11, 2012
Lancaster, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maynard, Rosie
Hello all. I've done some searching on this and I think I may have a possible answer, but I wanted to state my case and see if there was any other reason that this could be happening.

Rosie is my 7 month old. She is not spayed yet. We got her when she was about 3-1/2 months old. Every so often she'll go through episodes where she'll pee in our bed. Sometimes multiple times in a night. Maynard, our 2 year old has been sleeping with us since we got him. I know some say its not the best thing, but we just couldn't stand to hear him cry all whine all night because he missed us and he was scared. So when we got Rosie, it was natural to let her sleep with us too. Anyway, more often times than not, right after my wife puts new sheets on the bed, Rosie will sneak into the bed room and pee on the bed, sometimes immediately after she has been out to pee. Sometimes on my wife's side, sometimes on mine. Sometimes she'll do it in the middle of the night when we're sleeping. She is house broken and doesn't seem to pee anywhere else in the house but in the bed. Sometimes she'll go a week or 10 days without doing it, but then she'll do it 10 times in a week!

My hypochondriac wife insists that she has some kind of UTI or something, but I'm almost certain its a behavioral/dominating thing. She constantly tries to dominate Maynard by stealing his toys and biting at his feet, sometimes even mounting him. I think we're going to start being more assertive and not allow her into the bed until she stops the dominating behavior.

So I guess my question is, do I have this right? Do you all think it's a dominating/behavioral thing, or could it be something else? Anyone have a similar experience? Any advice to offer?

Thank you

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
If it were a UTI then I don't think it would disappear and then happen again without treatment.

I'd agree it is behavioral. Keep her off the bed until this stops.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
You BET you have the right! This really does sound like a dominance issue. You need to go back to basics and show her who's the alpha! Not only at night by not letting her on the bed, but for EVERYTHING! She needs to work for everything she gets. Food, pets, toys, etc. If it were a UTI, the urine would most likely be foul smelling and dark. And because she is fine during teh day, I say that is not the issue. There will be others along with some good advice. Good luck!

OP
MaynardJames

MaynardJames

Oct 11, 2012
Lancaster, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maynard, Rosie
Thanks for the responses. She will be getting fixed in the next couple weeks. I know with males, this has a big impact on things like marking/dominating and so forth, but will this help correct some of these bad traits in a female as well? I know that the biggest thing that can be done is discipline and training, but if spaying would also help, that would be great. Whats funny is I never had an issue with Maynard where he tried to play leader and hes a big strapping man! Now we have this tiny little cute innocent girl who is trying to be head honcho! Not on my watch!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Thanks for the responses. She will be getting fixed in the next couple weeks. I know with males, this has a big impact on things like marking/dominating and so forth, but will this help correct some of these bad traits in a female as well? I know that the biggest thing that can be done is discipline and training, but if spaying would also help, that would be great. Whats funny is I never had an issue with Maynard where he tried to play leader and hes a big strapping man! Now we have this tiny little cute innocent girl who is trying to be head honcho! Not on my watch!
I have had both male and female fur kids as well as skin kids. By far, hands down, the boys are much easier form both worlds!! I know there are others with different opinions, but for me, the boys had better temperaments, were easier to train, and were MUCH calmer. Just my experience.

OP
MaynardJames

MaynardJames

Oct 11, 2012
Lancaster, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maynard, Rosie
I have had both male and female fur kids as well as skin kids. By far, hands down, the boys are much easier form both worlds!! I know there are others with different opinions, but for me, the boys had better temperaments, were easier to train, and were MUCH calmer. Just my experience.

Yes, I'd have to say that as of thus far, the girl is MUCH harder to train. She gets so darn excited whenever she sees/hears/smells food that it's almost impossible to get her to settle down and do what she's told in order to get the treat. Some times after about 5 mins, the treats get put away and she doesn't get one because she can't behave. I'm going to have to study up on my Caesar again because sometimes I feel like I can't win. I mean seriously, she can't be THAT hungry. She only weighs 30 pounds and I'm pretty sure she eats more than I do some days and I'm 6 times her size!

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Yup yup, make sure she knows who is boss! And perhaps the bed peeing is a vie for attention, night time crateing might be helpful, make her earn the right to sleep in your bed, it's a privilege!! And it might remind her of the pecking order. Good Luck!!

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Mimi had the same problem. As soon as we let her on the bed, even if only for a couple minutes, she would pee on the bed. We were never able to figure out why. Most of her life she was crated at night. We tried letting her in bed if we were watching tv or folding laundry. Didn't work. Our solution was to not allow her on our bed. Now we have Mila the "Crazy Little White Dog". She can jump on our very tall bed. Really sucks when I wake up from a nap with a crazy little dog chewing on my ear or chasing my face with her super long (I think she could lick the back of her own head) tongue. I think maybe the wife does it on purpose.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Mimi had the same problem. As soon as we let her on the bed, even if only for a couple minutes, she would pee on the bed. We were never able to figure out why. Most of her life she was crated at night. We tried letting her in bed if we were watching tv or folding laundry. Didn't work. Our solution was to not allow her on our bed. Now we have Mila the "Crazy Little White Dog". She can jump on our very tall bed. Really sucks when I wake up from a nap with a crazy little dog chewing on my ear or chasing my face with her super long (I think she could lick the back of her own head) tongue. I think maybe the wife does it on purpose.

HAHAHAHA...so passive-aggressive...love it!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola does the same thing so she is not allowed on our bed but now she is so used to it she won't settle down on our bed she much rather have her crate.

den1005

Jun 22, 2010
Grand Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dillinger
My bully Dillinger did the same thing. I caught him one time doing it, reprimanded him, he never did it on our bed again. He still will mark his own bed (I think to keep my japanese chin out)......I gave up on trying to stop him from doing to his own bed figuring better his than mine.

OP
MaynardJames

MaynardJames

Oct 11, 2012
Lancaster, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maynard, Rosie
Just a little update from the past week. We have not been allowing Rosie into the bed, or on the couch. She sleeps in her crate at night and goes in and outside last. (me first, Maynard 2nd). She seems to be doing much better behaviorally speaking. She's much calmer and hasn't been bothering Maynard as much, IE nipping at his feet and stealing his toys. We haven't let her back in the bed yet, but I'm anxious to see if she'll still pee in it after being knocked down a couple pegs.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Just a little update from the past week. We have not been allowing Rosie into the bed, or on the couch. She sleeps in her crate at night and goes in and outside last. (me first, Maynard 2nd). She seems to be doing much better behaviorally speaking. She's much calmer and hasn't been bothering Maynard as much, IE nipping at his feet and stealing his toys. We haven't let her back in the bed yet, but I'm anxious to see if she'll still pee in it after being knocked down a couple pegs.

I wouldn't change what you are doing since it's working. She doesn't have to sleep in the bed if she's happy in the crate. That is HER space, where she doesn't feel the need to mark her territory. I had no idea that females also marked territory until we had a very dominant bullmastiff bitch who taught me that lesson pretty quickly!

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.