Help Needed! Bully attacking my elderly bllind Dalmatian

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
I've had Porkchop, English Bulldog, for one year and he's 2.5 yrs old, rescue out of KY. After arriving, I had him neutered. He got along with the 3 dogs initially. I have 2 standard size dachshunds, each 12 yrs old, that will snap at Porkchop when he bothers them and he runs away. He challenged my blind Dal, age estimated at 10-12 yrs, a few times and Adam put Pork down in a flash. (Adam might be blind but he's no slouch. He's put a pit bull down twice. He manages to roll them over on their backs.) In the last few months, Pork has been going after Adam while he sleeps or is just laying about and frequently. Sometimes it seems like he attacks when he sees Adam coming my way. Adam fights back but I break it up as quickly as possible as I don't want them hurting one another. Squirt bottle usually works. In the last few weeks as the attacks come every few days, Adam has been avoiding Pork at all costs. He no longer comes to the TV room at night, stays in his upstairs room most of the time. If he was human, I'd say he's depressed. I love the Spotty Man and hate to see him go through this. He was also a rescue, found at age 2, blind and starving in the boonies. One thing I will change-Pork sits on the chair with me in the evenings. I'll stop allowing that.

Questions: Is this the younger dog trying to dominate the older dog? Sensing Adam is getting weaker? Jealous that Adam comes near me? Pork doesn't bother the wiener dogs. Some folks have said I should let them fight it out to which I don't agree. That may cost a lot in vet bills. Is there anything I can do to put a stop to these attacks?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
No advice, just wishing you luck, someone wide will have answers for you I'm sure. Hang in there and bless your heart for giving them furever homes. I'd imagine adopted dogs can be a bit like adopted skinkids and fight for position in the house...just a thought though

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Some people are idiots, NO fighting...period!

I'm sorry this is happening in your household and will pray peace is restored
immediately.

Great advice will come along soon...GOD bless you for rescue special needs animals

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
I am certainly no expert, but from what you described the attacks don't sound malicious. I seems as though Porky is challenging Adam for dominance, especially if he's doing it primarily in your presence.

I'd say go back to the basics with training. Teach Porky who is the dominant leader in your pack, and then teach him that attacking any member of his pack is not an alright thing to do! By putting him back in his place within the pack, hopefully you can spare Adam the attacks and give him back some peace and his place in the family.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
First of all it's not unusual for Pork to start testing the boundaries at his age .... the terrible 2s!!! These can strike from 1 1/2 to almost 3 yrs of age !!

And definitely do NOT let them fight!!!! It's not a solution and will just cause any future attacks to escalate. Even the potential death of one of them.

Pork Chop certainly seems to be making some kind of play for pack leader and he's going for what he sees as the weakest link in the pack. That unfortunately is Adam. There is something wrong with that picture because you should already have that role so he shouldn't see the need to go for it!!

You need to go back to the very basics. Make him sit, give paw (or whatever his trick is) then wait for his food. When hes eating take the bowl away from him and go through the whole process again. Being on couch or bed at the same level as you must be earned and not always granted. Pork needs to ask permission and not just take or do whatever he wants.

Start to claim all doors. When you go outside make them all back up and sit before you open the door. Then make sure you go in/out first. I even "claim" my fridge door!!!

I talk from experience. We suddenly had the same thing happen between Daddy (2 yrs old) and our black lab, Bear.

I wish you luck!!! Remember ... be calm and be in control. You are the boss of that house, not Pork!!!

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
I am following some of the tips that you shared, sit for food, I go first. But I will stop letting him in my recliner for TV time and increase the obedience training. I also kept his harness on as it is easier to just lift him off the ground away from Adam. Porkchop is a small bulldog, only weighs 37 lbs.

Thanks for the advice!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Great posts [MENTION=7307]Tracy T[/MENTION] [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] :2thumbs:

You may also want to keep a collar and leash on Porkchop so when you spot the trigger behavior that makes him go after Adam, you can correct/disagree with the behavior as quickly as possible. Until things are settled, if you cannot watch Adam and Porkchop every minute, maybe best to crate Porkchop.

Keep us posted [MENTION=5840]paw7004[/MENTION] - someone will learn from your experiences!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Great advice already! Might wanna go to hand feeding also to bring him to know YOU r in charge. It worked for me. Good luck and be consistent. Just like kids, if you don't keep on top of them they will take advantage.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I am following some of the tips that you shared, sit for food, I go first. But I will stop letting him in my recliner for TV time and increase the obedience training. I also kept his harness on as it is easier to just lift him off the ground away from Adam. Porkchop is a small bulldog, only weighs 37 lbs.

Thanks for the advice!

:up: .. just remember that at times it will feel as if you are banging your head against a brick wall ... just keep doing what you are doing. You'll get there in the end!!!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
.. just remember that at times it will feel as if you are banging your head against a brick wall ... just keep doing what you are doing. You'll get there in the end!!![/QUOTE]

That's the way I feel at times with the issue between Ace and Gabe the maltese.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
.. just remember that at times it will feel as if you are banging your head against a brick wall ... just keep doing what you are doing. You'll get there in the end!!!

That's the way I feel at times with the issue between Ace and Gabe the maltese.[/QUOTE]

Yep three steps forward ... and four steps back some days. The key is consistency .... :yes:

Most Reactions