Help Needed! pup has no clue

Silastheman

Feb 6, 2013
Fleetwood PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Silas
my new baby is clueless to anything,,,screams in his crate all night and keeps house awake until I lay with him, pees and poops in his crate even when I take him out every two hours, and believe me I am trying everything..he also has bad anal glands, is that normal? from a veerrrry tired mommy:bitching:

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
How old is he? If he's young, you should take him out every 1/2 hour to pee and poop even if he doesn't seem like he has to just to get him in the habit of that's where he needs to go. Where is his crate at night? Maybe it needs to be closer to you for now.

whitebronc

Jan 2, 2013
So Cal
Bulldog(s) Names
Ike
Sorry silas is still given ya a hard time at night. Can he see you at night from where his kennel is? if not maybe that will help if he knows you are in sight. I cant help withe glands question sorry.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
my new baby is clueless to anything,,,screams in his crate all night and keeps house awake until I lay with him, pees and poops in his crate even when I take him out every two hours, and believe me I am trying everything..he also has bad anal glands, is that normal? from a veerrrry tired mommy:bitching:

How's it going with your baby today? puppy's are baby's :2thumbs:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Good to hear that it's getting better.
"Until I lay with him"??? So you gave up on his cries? That is sure way to teach him that those cries work and eventually you cave in....We went through a coulpe of sleepless nights with our new puppy, but now he sleeps like the baby he is. Never give attention on unwanted behavior and reward good behavior.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=8058]Silastheman[/MENTION] are you still having sleeping issues? With Bacon we used to wrap an old clock(that ticks) in a tshirt that I wore that day and that helped him sleep. We also put a blanket over his entire crate so he felt safe.

rudd0163

Feb 20, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I had a rough 5 days or so with mine, but keep in mind she was only 10 weeks at the time. She would cry at night when in her crate, and I would let her cry for a while before having to get her out. It was a struggle at first just like babies are when they are young and not sleeping. I will tell you it will get better and it doesn't take long before yours will sleep in the crate without a fuss. Hang in there!

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I remember the first few nights were rough.... Bacon was my first dog and I felt so guilty with those tiny cries

I slept on the floor next to his crate (which is on a different floor than my bedroom - no room to put a crate up there) for the first two nights until he started to get used to his new surroundings. I wouldn't take him out, because that would just encourage unwanted behavior... I would just soothingly talk to him until he would settle down and go back to sleep. I think by around the 3rd or 4th night he would just give a loud yip when he had to be let out. Then it was about staying firm that night time escapes were only about going to the bathroom and not about play. And before you know it, they're old enough to hold it for the whole night and you get some good sleep.

As a follow-up question, how much room does he have in his crate? Just enough to turn around or too much that he can go in one corner and sleep elsewhere?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online