crate training new puppy

Silastheman

Feb 6, 2013
Fleetwood PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Silas
hello all!! I just joined with a new puppy, Silas..he is 11 weeks and hates his crate!! I need advice..he screamed for hours last night until finally I came down and slept next to his crate..I cant do that every night because I have a baby, but does anyone know a way to help him be ok when hes alone? he is ok napping in crate when we are awake and walking around but not at ALL when we go to bed and he doesn't hear or see us..he flips!! thanks in advance!!:confused: OH AND he pees in his crate:(((

Attachments

• 20130206_021511.jpg
    20130206_021511.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

whitebronc

Jan 2, 2013
So Cal
Bulldog(s) Names
Ike
#1 Do not give up. my boy Ike did not like his crate at first.
he is a puppy wants to be with you, so he is going to cry until he gives up or falls asleep. if you keep going down there he will never stop wanting you to go down there. you can put something with your scent on it in his crate with him, it might give him some comfort. be sure to not give him to much room in the crate, otherwise he will pee in corner and sleep in the other. persistence is what you need. i know with a baby it is difficult and now with a bully puppy your going to be tested to your wits end. keep it up and it will work out. He just needs to learn what the rules are. Also make sure you taking him out every 2-3 hours. they can hold their bladder about an hour for every month they are old.

Good luck and welcome

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
One good way to get him used to it, is put his crate next to your bed and put your hand down by his crate so he can feel you. Once he goes to sleep you can sleep. Do this for a little while until he gets used to it then put the crate further from the bed, and eventually as he becomes used to the crate and your house you can move him to his room and he will be OK with that and enjoy his crate.

RAKA Bulldogs

Jan 24, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Oscar
Try plugging in a night light too... Maybe he's afraid of the dark...lol... Everyone's ideas are great, I would try them all, but like [MENTION=7601]whitebronc[/MENTION] said - you cannot keep going to him, they are like kids, he will learn, "I cry, they come"...

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I agree I would put the crate by my bed so he can be around you and I would set my alarm to take Lola out at night. Started out at 2 hours then when she had that mastered I would go longer and eventually she would start crying when she needed to go but she could only hold it a minute or two after she started crying so you have to act fast!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hi,

Good advice above. Consistency and patience and time. as long as it takes is how long it takes. Each dog and house is different.

"Small moves Ellie....small moves.."

Good Day~

flkjr2

Nov 24, 2012
Florissant, Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Z
Try plugging in a night light too... Maybe he's afraid of the dark...lol... Everyone's ideas are great, I would try them all, but like @whitebronc said - you cannot keep going to him, they are like kids, he will learn, "I cry, they come"...
I totally agree! You can't give in to his cries. I crate Z..he gets a little whiny..but after a min he is okay. We are going into week 3. Good luck and keep us posted!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Another thing you can try is to put an article of clothing, such as a sweatshirt that has your scent, so he'll feel close to you. But only do this if he is not a chewer, or he doesn't try to swallow blankets, or soft items, mine would eat these things lol.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.