Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Dirty Little Secret: My Almost 3 Year Old Bulldog is NOT Fully Housebroken

Real Name
    Lucie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Liz and Amy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My Dirty Little Secret: My Almost 3 Year Old Bulldog is NOT Fully Housebroken

I had a similar problem with Liz when we got Amy. Amy was not quite housebroken and Liz started going in the house. I ignored her, but made a big fuss about cleaning up the mess. She got it. Don't k now if it would work with other dogs. Amy was only housebroken well once we got doggy doors. She used to just squat real quick and keep playing!
    Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend. ~Corey Ford

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My Dirty Little Secret: My Almost 3 Year Old Bulldog is NOT Fully Housebroken

Separation anxiety, I believe. Don't feel bad about a 3-yr old... I have a 5-year old that does this! The usual "treatment" for separation anxiety is training... Basically, you start off with leaving your dog by going to another room where he cant see you but you know what's going on in the room for 5 minutes at a time then praising him when you come back and nothing bad happened. Ignore him if he behaves badly. Then extend the time until you can safely leave him for extended periods. This didn't work for my dog though but then he has a really bad case of it (he's a bichon frise and this is one of the common breed challenge). So, he goes in the kennel even if I leave the house for only a few minutes. It's gotten a bit better since we got the other dogs. He can be ok for up to an hour now...

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

I live with 2 porkers!
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sheshistory View Post
    Yes and no. I get lazy because Truman will literally go outside 300 times a day if I let him.

This evening, before I went upstairs to change out of my work clothes and do some chores, I let him out right before and no messes so maybe that's the key - even if he's comfortable on the couch or sleeping, make him go outside until he learns that a little pee in the kitchen is a big deal to me!

I'm so glad it worked at least once so you had the chance to reinforce the desired behavior....
    keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I am just going to wish you luck becasue everyone that posted before me stated some great insight and advice! Remember -- consistency
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads