General Question Sounds crazy but puppy pad or litter train?

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I took Lola to the vet today and while I was there I asked about taking the puppy outside or puppy pad training and the vet told me not to take the puppy outside to potty ever tell after the third shots. So he told me the options about puppy pad setting it by the door ect and he told me about litter training which I have heard about before but thought it was crazy! My question is which would be better? I understand that taking the puppy outside would help the training aspect but if my puppy gets parvo the training won't matter then. So I rather not take the chance and it didn't help that the vet scared the crap out of me! Puppy pads seem like a mess and im not sure about the smell of the litter box so has anyone tried any of this?

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
is Parvo really that prevalent when you are at? I mean 3rd series of shots is several weeks - I guess we are really fortunate to have a home with a little fenced in 'pee patch' for Gizmo and Hershey, that we never had to worry about Parvo.

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
My apartments where I live allow pets and I know some have never gotten their shots. I don't want to take the risk. Do most people give shots at 6 weeks or wait tell 8 weeks for the first shots and then is it every 2, 3, or 4 weeks?

Lulu belle

Jan 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
This is interesting, 6 years ago litter training never crossed my mind. It might be something to consider, for months Max ripped up the wee-wee pad (after he used it). It would look like he attacked a pillow. I would listen to the vet, don't take a chance with that beautiful baby.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I would be concerned with either of the two b/c it will be harder once they are older to train to go outside! I feel it may confuse them on where they are supposed to go potty. How did you train Lola? Did she have issues with being confused on different spots. When Brutus was a baby he would only pee on one spot of our yard! Now he is older and he goes whereever but for a while he only went to the first spot he ever pee pee on when he came home to us!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If you have no yard then either will work but yes you will have to train twice. Go with whatever the breeder starts her on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I'm using pee pads with Buster. I have not had to use them before but I have never got a puppy in the cold winter before. I would be afraid he'd eat the litter. The breeder used pads with shavings. I'm not worried about retraining because Buster will just follow Ruggles outside. Definitely don't take your baby outside in an area used by unprotected dogs.

Snoopy3

Nov 5, 2010
Bristol, Connecticut, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Snoopy (RIP), Gus & Layla
I've been using pee pads with Gus because we live in a condo & there are lots of animals around here. Many people walk their dogs in our court & don't pick up after them, so I have no idea whose had shots & who hasn't. My vet recommended to wait until 2nd set of shots, then fine to take outside. That would've been this past Friday, but as luck would have it, we had a monster blizzard in CT so he's not going outside any time soon! But the pee pads were really easy to train -- we've been happy with them, they're not messy & they don't smell. The kind we have supposedly have a "grass scent" in them, to help associate with the outdoors. Gus just turned 3 months, and will be getting his third set of shots one month from now. I'm sure transitioning outdoors will be confusing to him, so we will just have to be patient & probably maintain both methods until he is fully trained to go outside.