Help Needed! Teething/Biting Issues

PippaBD

Jan 9, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa
So Pippa is teething right now, and she has gotten quite bitey when she is feeling pain. (I noticed the couple of times when she was particularly bad, she left a little bit of blood on my arm. Looked in her mouth and saw the missing teeth.)

I have been giving her lots of ice cubes, which she will accept and stop biting. But later she will start up again. I notice it most in the evenings. So far I have gotten up and told her "NO!" and sometimes flipped her over and kind of pinned her while saying no. Then I ignore her for a minute or so so she knows it isn't acceptable.

I know that it will take some time on this, but any suggestions for other things I could be doing? Or recommendations for teeth soothers?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Just have plenty of chew toys for her and there are ones you can freeze that will help.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Ahhhh, teething! We are going thru the same thing with Bogey. He is 15 weeks old, has more chew toys than Petco sells: nylabones, nbones, deer antlers, kong toys, stuffies, marrow bones, rope toys, you name it we have it. And, he would still rather chew on our toes, pant legs and ankles despite, being put in jail, putting him in submissive state, sharp nos, barking, high pitched cries, yelping, and sometimes just trying to ignore him (yes, even though those sharp little teeth are digging into my feet.) I realize that when he bites, even in play, he is getting attention, either negative when we submit him or raise our voices, or postive when we try to redirect him. These guys are smart. I wish I had an easy answer to this but I am told to stay the course and it will eventually go away. Any blood I see on toys is usually mine! And, when he is tired or over stimulated, the biting is SO MUCH worse! So, we put him in his xpen and have been leaving him there a little while to calm down. This has helped, although there are some that say not to use the crate as punishment. (his xpen is attached to his crate) but it is sometimes the onlyl way to redirect his attention from the biting. He gets really nasty at times,and I want to put a halt to that now, so we are really staying calm but firm with him. Hopefully he will outgrow this sooner rather than later! Keep us posted.

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
We are having the same problems with Rumble who is 17 weeks old. If you name it, we have tried it. Oddly enough the only thing that seems to somewhat work is for us to ignore him. At first, we just tried to stop playing with him but as soon as we sat back down he would bite again so we started to completely leave the room and go do something else. We typically leave our living room and go into the kitchen. Rumble can follow us in there but he knows when we are in there that he doesn't get any attention because we are cooking or cleaning. We do not have problems with him biting our toes or feet while we are standing so this has worked for us. I am constantly giving Rumble ice cubes and on a special occasion or when I just really need to keep him occupied for a little while he will get his Kong toy frozen with peanut butter inside. My vet advised against using any toy that can be frozen with the liquid inside it because it is likely to get punctured so we have not done that. I would say just keep trying different things to see what works and keep in mind that what works one day will not work the next so keep revisiting all the ideas. Hope this is somewhat helpful! And just remember we are in this puppy-biting-teething phase together!

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
So Pippa is teething right now, and she has gotten quite bitey when she is feeling pain. (I noticed the couple of times when she was particularly bad, she left a little bit of blood on my arm. Looked in her mouth and saw the missing teeth.)

I have been giving her lots of ice cubes, which she will accept and stop biting. But later she will start up again. I notice it most in the evenings. So far I have gotten up and told her "NO!" and sometimes flipped her over and kind of pinned her while saying no. Then I ignore her for a minute or so so she knows it isn't acceptable.

I know that it will take some time on this, but any suggestions for other things I could be doing? Or recommendations for teeth soothers?

I'm an expert at this. Remi was god awful - made me bleed all the time. We'd have to stay off the floor and shake the can of change when he started to get too rough. He is 90% better now. He can still be a little rough, but thank god that period is over ha ha ha.

(Btw, pinning Remi now makes everything way worse. So be careful that doesn't rile up your Pippa. Also yelling, Firm no's, yipping, and any of the other subtle things that work well for other bully owners totally didn't work for us)

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Walley-Bubba is doing the same thing at 13-1/2 weeks old.
He's been doing it since he was 8 weeks old.
Biting, feet, ankles, fingers.
The worst are the lunging bites - if he connects, he hangs on - it's excruciating for humans.

OMG. tell me about it. I was mortified that he lunged and headbutted my father in law with this razorlike baby teeth, drawing blood.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I'm an expert at this. Remi was god awful - made me bleed all the time. We'd have to stay off the floor and shake the can of change when he started to get too rough. He is 90% better now. He can still be a little rough, but thank god that period is over ha ha ha.

(Btw, pinning Remi now makes everything way worse. So be careful that doesn't rile up your Pippa. Also yelling, Firm no's, yipping, and any of the other subtle things that work well for other bully owners totally didn't work for us)
You are so right with the pinning making him worse! I use it ONLY when I absolutely have to, but I also have toned down my voice and make slower movements when I am disciplining. That has made him a little more responsive to the reprimand. But there are times NOTHING works except crating, and that is getting tricky because he is getting heavy to pick up, so we corral him with the unattached end of his xpen. He can be so sweet and gentle, and then....... The spawn of satan!!!

OP
PippaBD

PippaBD

Jan 9, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa
I don't think pinning her down riles her up. She listens but goes back to it in a few minutes. My husband was kind of pushing her away when she did it and THAT didn't work at all. She just thought you were playing. What has work the best so far is if I stand up and cross my arms and say No! Then ignore her until she moves on.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Try listerine for the biting. Learned in puppy class work within a week! Let her rocognize the bottle when eh it biting something she isn't, then rub listerine on whatever she is biting including yourself and rub some

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
* rub some in her mouth also say no and wow it was like magic! They hate the taste like we do! My girl is 10 months and to this day she doesn't Chew anything except toys.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Yes that teething stage can be quite painful!!! Try filling a kong with cream cheese and freezing it. The coldness of the kong will soothe that painful mouth and the effort to get the cream cheese out of the middle will keep her amused for quite some time!!

OP
PippaBD

PippaBD

Jan 9, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa
Interesting idea with the Listerine! We have some in the bathroom, so might try that. Also will have to try the frozen kong. We were trying for no people food, but maybe an exception in this case.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Interesting idea with the Listerine! We have some in the bathroom, so might try that. Also will have to try the frozen kong. We were trying for no people food, but maybe an exception in this case.

I would consider cream cheese a bully food ................... they're more human than we are sometimes ... :rolleyes:

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
So who's the alpha, you or Remi?

It actually has nothing to do with that. Is about handling a dog with anxiety when he is at the escalated state. Obviously the goal is never to get there, but it happens. when he's calm, listening to nos and commands is not an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.