Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 25

Thread: My bully is starting to scare me...

  1. #1
    Pooper scooper Trixie's Avatar
    Posts
    25
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bixby
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default My bully is starting to scare me...

    Bixby has been a good bully since we got him in November, but recently he's been growling and snapping at us. After we walk him, we wash his paws in warm water and dry it with a baby washcloth. Last night I washed his paws and when I picked up his paws to dry it he started growling and when I let go of his paw he snapped at me. I thought that maybe there was something bothering his paws so later on that evening he was laying down, I looked at all 4 paws to see is there was anything that could be hurting him and I didn't see anything and he didn't seem to mind that. This morning he let me wash his paws but again, when it came to drying them he became aggressive. And now he won't even let me wash them. He's usually good about giving me a handshake but today when I asked for his paw, he slowly raised it but he was growling the whole time. I'm starting to get scared. HELP, please...

  2. #2
    .........
    Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    2,981
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default Re: My bully is starting to scare me...

    I'm not really going to be much help here being that I've never dealt with aggression, let me tag a few people that can probably help you out. @desertskybulldogs @JeannieCO @Davidh @Sherry @cowsmom

  3. #3
    Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    JeannieCO's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Conifer, Colorado
    Posts
    13,413
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)
    620

    Default Re: My bully is starting to scare me...

    How old his he? Also when he's doing this what are you don't in reaction to it? My dogs have never ever growled at me, I'd kicked there arse so to speak (not literally). That's a behavior that is not tolerated. When he's being "aggressive" can you elaborate a bit more.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

  4. #4
    Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Davidh's Avatar
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    13,246
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)
    1557

    Default Re: My bully is starting to scare me...

    Well sounds like he is testing you and wanting to be the alpha. So you need to show him you are the alpha by making him earn everything. When he growls at you tell him NO in a stern voice. You don't need to do this but I will grab the side of their neck too, but don't do this if you are not sure. Just telling him NO and look him in the eye, then ignore him. Make him earn his food, make him sit before he eats, you can even make him eat out of your hand for awhile. He must sit before any affection and when you go outside you go first and the same for coming in the house. If he sits on the couch with you then make him sit on the floor. If he sleeps in bed with you, make him sleep in his crate or on the floor. You rule the house not him and you are always before him. You eat before him, you go through doors before him and when you go for walks you walk ahead of him. I hope this helps.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie


  5. #5
    Pooper scooper Trixie's Avatar
    Posts
    25
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bixby
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: My bully is starting to scare me...

    Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    Well sounds like he is testing you and wanting to be the alpha. So you need to show him you are the alpha by making him earn everything. When he growls at you tell him NO in a stern voice. You don't need to do this but I will grab the side of their neck too, but don't do this if you are not sure. Just telling him NO and look him in the eye, then ignore him. Make him earn his food, make him sit before he eats, you can even make him eat out of your hand for awhile. He must sit before any affection and when you go outside you go first and the same for coming in the house. If he sits on the couch with you then make him sit on the floor. If he sleeps in bed with you, make him sleep in his crate or on the floor. You rule the house not him and you are always before him. You eat before him, you go through doors before him and when you go for walks you walk ahead of him. I hope this helps.
    @Davidh when Bixby starts growling I do say NO in a stern voice. I always make him sit before he gets his food and even when I put his food down, he's not allowed to eat it until I say Go eat. He's not allowed to sit on the couch and not allowed on the bed. I also make sure that before we go for walks, he sits down before I open the door and he can't go out til I say so. I got him towards the end of November of last year so I've only had him about 2 months and this has been the first sign of aggression he's shown.

  6. #6
    Pooper scooper Trixie's Avatar
    Posts
    25
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bixby
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: My bully is starting to scare me...

    Quote Originally Posted by JeannieCO View Post
    How old his he? Also when he's doing this what are you don't in reaction to it? My dogs have never ever growled at me, I'd kicked there arse so to speak (not literally). That's a behavior that is not tolerated. When he's being "aggressive" can you elaborate a bit more.
    @JeannieCO Bixby is a little over 2, but i only got him about 2 months ago. When he growls I tell him NO and I walk away from him and ignore him. When I say aggressive, I mean growling and sometimes even snapping which can get pretty scary. In the 2 months I've had him, he's never shown this behavior towards me.

  7. #7
    Pooper scooper Trixie's Avatar
    Posts
    25
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bixby
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: My bully is starting to scare me...

    Quote Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
    I'm not really going to be much help here being that I've never dealt with aggression, let me tag a few people that can probably help you out. @desertskybulldogs @JeannieCO @Davidh @Sherry @cowsmom
    Thank you so much @Baconator

  8. #8
    .........
    Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    2,981
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default Re: My bully is starting to scare me...

    Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Thank you so much @Baconator

    No problem, we are all a big family here just trying to help everyone out That's just how we roll

  9. #9
    Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    JeannieCO's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Conifer, Colorado
    Posts
    13,413
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)
    620

    Default Re: My bully is starting to scare me...

    Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    @JeannieCO Bixby is a little over 2, but i only got him about 2 months ago. When he growls I tell him NO and I walk away from him and ignore him. When I say aggressive, I mean growling and sometimes even snapping which can get pretty scary. In the 2 months I've had him, he's never shown this behavior towards me.
    Sounds like he's done adapting to his new home now and his showing his colors a bit. Has anything changed out of the ordinary? That growling and snapping definitely needs to stop now. He's going to sense you being scared too. Normally I would say to submit him, by submitting I mean take his nap and put him to the ground, but not in this case. He's going to take a lot of work I think but consistency will be key. Make him work for EVERYTHING. I'm going to tag a couple of others too that may be more help than I can be. I've dealt dog-on-dog aggression but mine are more of excitement/trigger fights. Be strong, he can be solved with lots of work.
    @kazzy220
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

  10. #10
    Pooper scooper Trixie's Avatar
    Posts
    25
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bixby
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: My bully is starting to scare me...

    Quote Originally Posted by JeannieCO View Post
    Sounds like he's done adapting to his new home now and his showing his colors a bit. Has anything changed out of the ordinary? That growling and snapping definitely needs to stop now. He's going to sense you being scared too. Normally I would say to submit him, by submitting I mean take his nap and put him to the ground, but not in this case. He's going to take a lot of work I think but consistency will be key. Make him work for EVERYTHING. I'm going to tag a couple of others too that may be more help than I can be. I've dealt dog-on-dog aggression but mine are more of excitement/trigger fights. Be strong, he can be solved with lots of work.
    @kazzy220
    @JeannieCO the only change I can think of is instead of him being locked up in his crate while my fiancé and I are at work he's allowed to be out of his crate and roam the apartment all day. I thought that would have been good for him. We still take him on his regular walks, 3-4 times a day. Oh, we did cut his food down just a bit. That's all I can think of right now..

  11. #11
    Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    JeannieCO's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Conifer, Colorado
    Posts
    13,413
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)
    620

    Default Re: My bully is starting to scare me...

    The food probably wouldn't be it. Do you know his past history? Wondering if he has past crate issues.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

  12. #12
    Pooper scooper Trixie's Avatar
    Posts
    25
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bixby
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: My bully is starting to scare me...

    Quote Originally Posted by JeannieCO View Post
    The food probably wouldn't be it. Do you know his past history? Wondering if he has past crate issues.
    @JeannieCO I didn't think the food would have anything to do with it either. From what I remember, his previous owners left him in his crate all day so I thought letting him out would be good for him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •