Issues with authority...

Coach

Dec 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel
Herschel is a smart dude. But he only does what he wants, when he wants. On top of being quite aggressive he's proving tougher to train than any dog I've had. He runs right through the positive reinforcement thing and isn't really phased by a "heavy handed" dog whisperer type approach either, although that bit does seem more effective for short term discipline issues. What can I expect here. He doesnt appear to have that laid back demeanor Im reading so much about.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Ah... What the " dog whisperers" don't tell you is you have to make your bully think that whatever it is you want them to do is THEIR idea! That takes creative thinking and training on YOUR part. Bullies are not your typical " Lassie" types, that learn a command once and follow it forever!! Quite the opposite! It will be a battle of the wills for sure with that stubborn but lovable personality. It will take all you have to stay the course, but under all those furry wrinkles and sharp teeth, is a loving and wonderful persona that wants to please you as long as there is something in it for him! LOL! In other words, welcome to bulldog heaven!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Sounds like your handsome boy is extra stubborn and will require firm and consistent training. You'll need to keep reminding him you are the boss! Even then he may not be as well trained as you like, but with these extra stubborn ones you have to pick your battles and be consistent. My Mack was that way and in his 9 years I couldn't count on him coming when I called him so he was always on leash when we were outside our fenced dog area and house!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
They do have their stubborn streaks and are food motivated.

OP
Coach

Coach

Dec 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel
Yep, all of the above sound just like him. And to being food motivated, when you call his name or snap he runs over and does all his "tricks" at once, haha. I find it especially funny because he learned them individually but has already put togther the fact that he gets a treat for doing them so he just does them all at once. The toughest thing were dealing with is the aggression and hyperactivity. When he doesnt want to be disciplined, which is never, he lunges. This is more so with my wife although he will do it to me occassionally as well. He absolutely goes full throttle rough housing with the other dogs the whole time he's not in his room. I mean he literally never stops. The other dogs used to be able to get a moments peace when they would "check" him but now he goes back at them with more aggression. We have two pits and a cattle mutt between the ages of 8-12. They are great with him, well most of the time, but he just wont leave them alone.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Lol...he IS smart! Sometimes you get a bully NOT laid back and super stubborn.
Sounds like Herschel (after the great Herschel Walker???) also, he's young so
w/time, training & patience...this will change. Neutering will probably help him
a whole lot! Are you running his rear end off (I would be) even, put him on a
treadmill...a tired dog is a good dog, lol. When he's bad, are you doing immediate
time out in his crate? Don't give up, he's so handsome and keep us informed!

OP
Coach

Coach

Dec 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel
w/time, training & patience...this will change. Neutering will probably help him
treadmill...a tired dog is a good dog, lol. When he's bad, are you doing immediate

Yes, after the Greatest Bulldog ever (Herschel Walker) :D Surprisingly, most dont get that, even though Im a die hard UGA fan! He walks and runs and most of all. plays HARD all the time. He wasn't having crate training but he has his "own room". We were putting him in "timeout" but found he would wind up spending most of his time in there for discipline issues. Now we just block him off from whatever he's doing or hold him in timeout for a min. or two. I felt bad having to lock him up but it was like, get locked for biting feet while walking and as sson as he got out he was biting feet as we walked away from the room. Patience will definitely be a virtue.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
One thing I'd like to add to the great advise given. When he's getting too wound up with the other dogs and won't quit stand in between them to seperate. Get in between so he has to look up at you as you are hovering over him. As he moves you move too looking down on him the whole time. This is actually a type of submission. When we first got Lola, Ruckus wouldn't leave her alone playing and rough housing, and when I did this to him I could literally get him anywhere I wanted by doing this.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well... Based off my pups I can say bullies could care less how pleased we r in them. Lol mine work for one thing, food. They r stubborn as heck! Now my pug is a people pleaser, if I call him, he doesnt come but if cutty comes and I say "what a good boy" mugsy is right there waiting or his good boy. Lol food seems to be the only universal thing they all will do anything for.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Carol's got it.... tired dog is a good dog. also, look up Nothing in life is free.... it worked great for our girl Banks... she is HIGHLY food motivated and AMAZINGLY stubborn

Members online

No members online now.