Help Needed! "OH NO, NOT AGAIN!" - Me, coming home after work.

Allie

Nov 16, 2012
Calgary, AB
Bulldog(s) Names
George
Hi Everyone, My fiancé and I have recently adopted a two year old English Bulldog named George. He was a rescue and since his adoption has become a wonderful addition to our little family. He is our pride and joy! He is always gentle, well behaved and completely house broken. However, George has taken to pooping on our upstairs carpeted floor. We work full time jobs from 8am to 5pm. He gets two twenty minute walks in the morning and at night (providing it isn't too cold for him). He always does his business before we leave for work and then we go out again when we get home. We thought he might be getting bored during the time we are away. But the several "Kongs" filled with treats that we hide around the house, and the many "puzzle" toys that dispense food or treats when rolled a certain way do not make a difference to him. He does not seem to notice they exists until we return home. I have read a few posts similar to mine that suggest crate training or umbilical cord training. However, I am not sure that these methods provide a permanent fix. I would prefer if we could leave George to relax on his comfy dog beds in the sunshine rather than keeping him confined in a crate. Are there any suggestions as to what we should try next? Is there something we are doing wrong that could be upsetting him? Thank you for your advice! P.S. I know that it is recommended that Bulldogs should not be over exercised, but he gets chunky due to his food if he is not active.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
If your not fond of the crate, maybe a crate with a pen area, or gate him in one room or small area.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Crating them is the safest way for them to be left alone, but as [MENTION=1169]Piamitch[/MENTION] has said you can also make a play pin for him and give him a little more room.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
If the only place he is doing this is on the upstairs carpet, you could put a baby gate across the stairs, so he stays downstairs, or put him in the kitchen with his bed, and toys and put a baby gate across the doorway, so he stays in one room.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
try an X-pen... and limit his area :) Crate training is great, as it protects the PUPPY from the house, along with protecting the House from the Puppy!

Clean the area with a good enzyme cleaner, we use 'Natures Miracle' follow the directions, some say saturate and then dry, others are saturate and leave, etc

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I agree with above..if you don't want to use a crate..use Xpen or something to limit his space. He could still be adjusting and often as they relax and feel at home, they will regress. It's temporary but can become a habit very easily.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Agree with all the above, you want to stop this before it becomes a habit.

Most likely, confining him awhile, restricting access from that area and cleaning
the scent away properly will all work and prevent him from doing this later. In
a month, he'll never remember doing it if the scent is removed and he's been
kept away long enough. Good luck!

OP
Allie

Allie

Nov 16, 2012
Calgary, AB
Bulldog(s) Names
George
Thank you everyone for your help. I will purchase a baby gate and get my carpets cleaned to make sure the scent is gone. Thank you again! :2thumbs:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Thank you everyone for your help. I will purchase a baby gate and get my carpets cleaned to make sure the scent is gone. Thank you again! :2thumbs:

Eventually, he will earn the privilege of being upstairs while you are gone, but until the "habit" of not crapping up there is established, keeping him contained in a smaller area will work with his instincts as a dog to not soil in his own den.

Too, it's possible he needs a bit longer to take the dump? Bea can produce a log cabin in minutes after going outside. Bo needs MUCH longer to bake brownies. Their time outside for this purpose has always been the same -- consistent! -- so they know that Doodie Time is eminent so there's no need to crap in the house.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
I used to be a littly messy myself....
Until someone placed a sign over the toilet that read :
"If you Sprinkle when you Twinkle, Be a Sweety & Clean the Seaty"
So..... I now just sit instead... I find it much easier......

Edit : My point is that dogs can't read and follow the rules so dont let them roam free for 10 hours...

Last edited:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Also...you said that you have numerous food dispensing treats around the house. "What goes in, must come out". So it could be that he just has to go. Typically, dogs sleep 18 to 20 hours a day, so I wouldn't worry so much about entertaining him during the day. My hubby and I work long hours....he starts earlier than I. My two are usually crated for atleast 9 hours. But....they are perfectly capable of holding it during the night, so I'm not worried about the day.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Another thought: bogey has just started with 2 large poops in the morning. Sometimes they are one right after another, and other times there can be an hour or two in between. Maybe George doesn't finish in the morning. Confinement may help this. Maybe a longer walk or getting him up earlier to start things rolling. good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We keep our pups confide to one room in the house.... Banks is fully capable of being able to roam free in the house, but Cheli not so much. So, Cheli is in a crate in the master and Banks is free in the room. If we did not do this, we would come home to :poo: every day

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You've had lots of wonderful advice already so Ill just say :welcome: to EBN!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online