General Question Introducing a new puppy to my bulldog

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
My boyfriend and I picked up our Tubby December 23 and have been seriously considering adding a new bulldog to our family. Tubby is 3 months old as of January 19. I am just curioius if anyone has any tips on introducing a new puppy to Tubby and if it matters what gender. We are thinking about adding a female so I'm just wondering if that will make the adjustment process harder on Tubby.

Tubby is pretty much house broken and is a wonderful sleeper. I worry introducing a new dog will negate any training he already has as he may see the new puppy having accidents.

Any help, tips or previous experience would be greatly appreciated!!!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
It shouldn't make a difference whether you get a male or female. Tubby will be delighted to have a playmate. They will "feed" off of each other and what one doesn't think of getting into, the other will. They will exercise each other and be best friends forever. Getting another puppy is the best thing you could ever do for Tubby! Congratulations!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Tubby is male, right? Yeah, a female puppy would be good.

Introducing 2 puppies is really not much of a problem as introducing 2 adults. They'll establish hierarchy on their own usually without much fuss. And no, the housebreaking should not be affected as long as you stay consistent with the training. This would even make it easier on the new puppy because you already established a routine that the new puppy will just follow.

Spay/neuter is essential... unless you plan to breed them.

These bullys I tell ya... you can't just stop at 1... :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You rec'd good advice for Alcie and Anatess .... best of luck with your decison and look forward to PICTURES!!!

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
You've gotten good advice. The new puppy will follow Tubby's lead. There may be a few accidents, but Tubby probably will not revert or regress. They will certainly be best buds. Liz and Amy are 2 months apart in age. We got Liz at the end of June 2011 at 2 month and Amy at the beginning of October 2011 at 4 months.

Dee J

Oct 16, 2012
Denton, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus Mayhem AKA B-Ham AKA Brutty Boy
I need to hear how you talked him into this! I've been working on my boyfriend since we got Brutus for a 2nd Bully, and he isn't budging! Congrats :)

OP
T

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
I need to hear how you talked him into this! I've been working on my boyfriend since we got Brutus for a 2nd Bully, and he isn't budging! Congrats :)

One of our friends has a Bully as well so when my hunny saw Tubby and his friend playing he decided Tubby needs a friend which I was 100% on board with

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Like the potato chip commercial, you can't stop at just one.

There are some concerns to be aware of regarding two males or two females. Two of a pair sometimes can be an issue....dominance

As for the house breaking and potty training, if your first dog is well on the right path, then Tubby can set the example for the new puppy. But at a very young age like that, the patterns and habits are not fully entrenched so you could have a bit of back sliding. Don't fret too much about it and just train both of them together. It's how a new litter of pups are trained along side the other dogs in the pack.

Good luck!

Good Day~

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online