Help Needed! Wanting outside every 10 minutes

Pennview79

Dec 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston (Winnie the Pooh Bear :-) )
My puppy Winston is 5 months old. He has been doing well for the most part with his house training, but he seems to go to the door and want out every 10 minutes (I'm not exaggerating!!) We get up to let him out and he almost always goes when he is out there. I'm worried we are starting a bad habbit with him. I want him to know we will let him out when he needs to go, but how can he possibly need to go every 10 minutes?? Has anyone else every had a problem like this? He truely needs to learn to hold it because he has been going in his crate. I'm getting extremely frustrated with him! We need to wash his bedding from his crate every day and he needs cleaned also because he just lays right on the wet bedding. I can't keep doing this every day!!

There are times we say "Winston...you were just out" and then have him wait and he ends up going on the floor. I hate punishing him for that though because he was at the door.

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
We have the same problem with Rumble who is 16 weeks. He will go to the door and bark to tell us he has to go potty(awesome). Then if we are not playing with him he will go to the door and bark(not good). We have also had the "you were just outside you do not need to go again" discussion with an accident on the floor. What I started doing is literally just start timing when he goes potty. If it has only been 10 minutes I try and distract him with a toy or something else and then we play for a little while. The next time he goes to the door(even if it is only a couple minutes) I then let him out. When he goes potty, I congratulate him and then try to get him to come right back inside. If he starts to play outside then he comes in and is in time out for a little bit. This seems to be helping to get the idea that outside is for potty only and that is boring to go out there to just potty. We have been able to stretch it a little bit longer this way but some days are better than others. Hopefully this is somewhat helpful!

OP
Pennview79

Pennview79

Dec 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Wanting to go outside every 10 minutes

Winston is 5 months old. He has been doing well for the most part, except he wants to do out every 10 minutes (I'm not exaggerating!!) We usually let him out when he is at the door and he almost always goes when he gets out. My concern is that I feel we are starting a bad habit. If its not a habit, could something be wrong with him? He can't possible need to go every 10 minutes!!

He is going in his crate also. We have to wash his bedding every day. Winston needs cleaned off every morning because he will just lay right back down on his wet bedding. I'm getting very frustrated!!! Has anyone else ever had a problem like this?

There are times we say "Winston you were just out" and then make him wait and he just ends up peeing on the floor. It seems wrong for punishing him then because he was at the door wanting out.

EmmittPylate

Feb 17, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Yep mine who is 12 mths... Has started to do this also. I think he has bc he sees the squirrels outside and wants to chase them lol.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
If he's peeing in his crate there is something wrong. If he can hold it, he will hold it when he is in his crate. So, more than likely, he really can't hold it. And going every 10 minutes is not good. He might have a urinary tract infection or something else wrong. A trip to the vet would be my suggestion.

M

mabel lou

I would let him out and walk him and then since you said he goes potty for certain then you know he will have done potty but possibly he will go again before your walk is done. Once you bring him back in I would then take his blanket and or bedding out leaving him a bare cage. Also not sure if you have the middle section to shorten his cage making it smaller? I would do that and document it. I when training my girl who would go potty on anything material given to her or my other girls blankets. Now I had to learn that she must go without if I want it to be dry. I also shortened the cage only giving her enough room to lay down and turn around. Again I documented everything and with very short increments between potty I started extending them with 5 min increments and so on. I documented feeding times and water times and cage times and sleeping times and play times as well as being able to stay out just because, but the point being I knew everything about her schedule from the moment she woke up and was wet or dry. She stays dry now and the diaper time also was without success so that as well had to go.After all of this I started learning about my girl and maybe in time she will understand that material things are not for potty but for pleasure. She sleeps on a bare cage floor and I have no rugs or anything out to tempt her. It is just some advice on what worked for me and my girl.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Meekos been goin out every 10 mins the last few days but thats to play in snow not to go peepee. I thought maybe UTI does he drink plenty? .. Also when i wash Meekos bedding the first thing he does is go pee on it. Not big pees so marking his territory. Iv given up washin it with powder i just swill it off using the shower head so it doesnt smell to us but he can still smell his scent and hes stopped doin it. If that doesnt work id take his blankets away a few ppl suggested that to me x

OP
Pennview79

Pennview79

Dec 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank for the advice. I was also thinking possible uti but I didn't want to make a pain of myself calling the vet all the time. He also has a cherry eye so I called a couple of times because I was concerned about that. I do notice, like Tasha said, they are not big pees. Maybe he is marking his territory...i just didn't expect him to start doing that already. I think I am going to call the vet tomorrow and see if they feel he should be checked. Thanks again!!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Thank for the advice. I was also thinking possible uti but I didn't want to make a pain of myself calling the vet all the time. He also has a cherry eye so I called a couple of times because I was concerned about that. I do notice, like Tasha said, they are not big pees. Maybe he is marking his territory...i just didn't expect him to start doing that already. I think I am going to call the vet tomorrow and see if they feel he should be checked. Thanks again!!

My principle with vets - and doctors for that matter... I do not feel bad about calling my vet all the time if I truly need his services. That's his job. I would only be a pain in his butt if he doesn't care about my dog or me or if he is clueless that he has no idea what to do to help my dog... In either case, he's not a good vet and I will need to find another one.

So, my suggestion is, don't worry about being a pain. You're not. You love your dog. That's a very good thing.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.