Help Needed! Not sleeping at night

matzwd

Nov 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Aunt Clara
We are desperate, so any help would be very appreciated.

We are in a really bad way with sleep patterns. Miss Clara is 10 months old and absolutely refuses to sleep at night. She is not in a crate and is allowed to sleep wherever she pleases (not in furniture). As of late, she cries all night long. We've tried to let her outside to potty, played with her to try to wear her out, walked right before bed time, walked her to the water bowl for drinks, given her favorite chew toys/bones, and NOTHING is working. I have even tried BenadryI to help her sleep. Thing is, my husband is absolutely fed up and sick of being woke up, so I'm up most of the night every night to try to keep her quiet. She's fine as long as she's getting attention and crashes like nobody's business at first light and sleeps all day long. Unfortunately, we are not home to keep her awake in the daytime, but we are here in the evening from about 3:30 on, and she's up and about most of the time, with a cat nap here or there.

I am so tired and sick with a bug to boot and need to sleep. Do you think this is a situation where we need to crate her or shut her in a room alone and let her cry it out and not have access to us at night? Sometimes she really does need a drink or to go out, but I also know she has the capacity to hold it all night as she has done it in the past.

Sent via Tapatalk on my S3

Last edited:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'd buy ear plugs and let her whine herself to sleep. Make sure she gets exercise in the evening and what is even better is mental exercise. That makes a dog tired even more than physical exercise. Some nose work is also good to make her tired. She has you under her paw real good:D

Last edited:

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
You poor thing! Sounds like aunt Clara needs some retraining! I have always crated my pups from day one, so I don't know how it will be to start with a 10 month old, but I am sure with patience( I am sure you don't have much left!) and persistence, you will win. It sounds like she might be lonely and needs attention, but at the wrong time. I would get a crate and start slowly introducing her to it. Make it a " fun" place- special treats, special chew toy, nice bed or blanket. Put her in it when you are home for short periods. I would start this on a weekend when you are around. Continue your nightly ritual of play, walks, training, etc. when its time for bed, I would put her in with a special treat and that's it. If she cries and carries on ( which is what she will do) she will eventually tires herself out. You may have a rough couple of nights ahead, so take a deep breath and give it a try. You may even put the crate in your room so she is near you, but if she is really carrying on, you won't get much sleep! You may also try covering the crate too. My mom had a collie that would not settle down unless the crate was covered. It's worth a try! There will be others along that will have more suggestions too, so hang in there! I am sure it is just a phase! Good luck and keep us posted!

OP
matzwd

matzwd

Nov 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Aunt Clara
Omg, it's 5:10 a.m., and she just started snoring. I have to be up at 6:30 to get my son to his 8:00 basketball tournament. We have a full day of activities ahead, so no naps will be happening (for the humans). Not sure if I should even bother sleeping, ugggh!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'd buy ear plugs and let her whine herself to sleep. Make sure she gets exercise in the evening and what is even better is mental exercise. That makes a dog tired even more than physical exercise. Some nose work is also good to make her tired. She has you under her paw real good:D

I'm with RiiSi on this one.

She's now in the "habit" of doing what she's doing and, its what she knows. Now you have to "un-habit the habit" so to speak. Even if its negative attention, it's attention and she's getting something out of it or she wouldn't do it.

I would also be concerned with the disdain she experiences from her other pack leader. Resentments are certainly felt and understood by our canine companions and if that negative energy is sustained toward the pup over time, NEW problems can occur. Best to be on the same page: calm and assertive!

OP
matzwd

matzwd

Nov 14, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Aunt Clara
Plenty of good advice here, and I'm going to get tough. I will not be bullied any longer, lol.

Lulu belle

Jan 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Make sure the room is not in total darkness. Leave a night light on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 119

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Also when she takes her little catnaps after you have gotten home, wake her up. Wear that little girl down.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

I also agree and crate train all of my puppies from the very get go. While it will be hard for you with your older puppy, it can be done. There is some great opinions, suggestions and advice here.

Take it slow, be steady, be firm, be consistent, be supportive (dogs and humans).

Good Day~

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.