Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Remi's new obedience trainer

So today our new obedience trainer came over for 2 hours to address some of our issues with Remi. It wasn't what I was expecting, but I'm overall happy with the progress.

We're really going backwards to go forwards. Issues: Remi can be high strung and anxious when meeting meeting, animals, kids, etc. Inside and outside the home. He also has dominance issues.

Leslie, our trainer, suspects that Remi is the product of a backyard breeder and wasn't very well socialized as a puppy. *faints*

Long story short, we really went back to the basics and started using a clicker. She was impressed with what Remi did know, and she really helped us with the one command we were struggling with, to lay down. Also how to distract him from triggers, which cause him to be pretty stressed. We need to keep him away from the triggers for now and establish the every day "calm".

We will probably schedule a few follow ups when money allows, but so far we have a lot to work on!

What I loved about her is that when I asked her what kind of limitations I should expect when training a bulldog, her reply was "None. Bulldogs are actually very clever."

How has your experiences been with training?
    Last edited by ModernFemme; 01-14-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Remi's new obedience trainer

It sounds like you had a pretty positive experience w/your new trainer. That's great!

I've gone thru Pet Smart basic obedience thru intermediate for the boys, and also had a private trainer do a home assessment as well as 6wks of one on one at her center. Overall, very helpful, I'd say. The important part of training is to be consistent and to practice regularly (something i'm guilty of not always doing). It is amazing what our bullies are able to learn and retain w/the proper training, guidance, and encouragement, isn't it? My main thing w/the boys is their walks and the "heel" command. Still a learning process!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Great news.... it is the biggest hurrdle finding a trainer that has the right knowledge and skill set you need. Best of luck and PLEASE keep us posted on how you are making out.

I was/am VERY lucky so far .... Nitshcke was VERY easy to train as all he wanted to do was please and be with you. Cheli is VERY food modivated and but also very smart so he knows how to 'ignore' very well. Banks, well, she will do ANYTHING for food, but she is also VERY dominate and it took us two full years to get her triggers identified and able to have her respond to us, now she is great as long as we keep her on schedule and in line.

GOOD LUCK!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

It sounds like you have positive results and found a good trainer that knows something about Bulldogs!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Uni & Boadie
    Likes (Received)

Yay! so happy that you found a good trainer. We are still in the CGC class with a trainer that is lacking some skills in my opinion. Paid hundreds for our two to be in the class and so far really learned nothing. :perturbed:
    In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Awesome to hear it went well! I like her already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

So good to hear you found one you are happy with, good luck with the training.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Awwww, how much you love your Remi...I know he's quite a handful but also
    know your 'dream bully' is in there somewhere and with your help WILL emerge!

It's wonderful your trainer understands bullies ARE smart...Yea!!!

Keeping y'all in my thoughts & prayers...Carol & Brutus

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Potty Trainer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ModernFemme View Post
    So today our new obedience trainer came over for 2 hours to address some of our issues with Remi. It wasn't what I was expecting, but I'm overall happy with the progress.

We're really going backwards to go forwards. Issues: Remi can be high strung and anxious when meeting meeting, animals, kids, etc. Inside and outside the home. He also has dominance issues.

Leslie, our trainer, suspects that Remi is the product of a backyard breeder and wasn't very well socialized as a puppy. *faints*

Long story short, we really went back to the basics and started using a clicker. She was impressed with what Remi did know, and she really helped us with the one command we were struggling with, to lay down. Also how to distract him from triggers, which cause him to be pretty stressed. We need to keep him away from the triggers for now and establish the every day "calm".

We will probably schedule a few follow ups when money allows, but so far we have a lot to work on!

What I loved about her is that when I asked her what kind of limitations I should expect when training a bulldog, her reply was "None. Bulldogs are actually very clever."

How has your experiences been with training?
    Who is your trainer? I'm located in Delaware too.

Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BullyDozer View Post
    Who is your trainer? I'm located in Delaware too.
    sent you a private message!

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Sharon
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Miss Tallulah and Buster
    Likes (Received)

I worked with Miss Tallulah and the exact same type of trainer. We did clicker training at first. When Miss T understands what I want I don't use the clicker until I need to begin a new behaviour. It makes for a positive bonding experience and the rewards of a content and relaxed Bully are so worth it. Miss T was pretty anxious and clicker training combined with positive reinforcement has been wonderful. As I have said in many posts, she is calm, loving and eager to please. We are now enrolled in Mind Games which will involve intense clicker training for complex behaviours for March. She loves to be challenged. The "limitations" are really about management and distraction to avoid/ prevent unwanted behaviour without resorting to punishment or harsh discipline. Bullies and harsh discipline are a recipe for potential problems. The philosophy is that you want your dog's respect and to bond with each other with trust. Not to have our Bullies behave out of fear of reprisal. Bullies ARE smart. I am so very happy for you and Remi!!!! You will see results very quickly if you remain consistent and do a little a few times each day. Make it fun, keep your sessions short, don't get discouraged when things don't work right away and always end on a positive note with a desired behaviour and a reward. Keep us posted. This is going to be exciting!

“Happiness is a warm puppy.”
    Charles M. Schulz

Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm totally in love with his behavior right now. It's getting to the point where he just lies down at my feet because he knows that's what I want. It's crazy how smart these dogs are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads